December 2023 AI thread ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andi Goodwin, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Wifredo Sevilla

Wifredo Sevilla Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I did some testing on the Nordschleife, and found some spots where the AI seems to have trouble negotiating corners.

The car class (AI selection): Mazda MX5 Cup
    The track layout: Nordschleife
    The AI Strength setting: 94
    Your qualifying time versus AI qualifying time: 8:16.xxx vs 8:12.xxx
    Your race best lap versus AI pace: Race was 4 laps. If there were no incidents we all could achieve and keep Q lap times, and better. Setting aside corner exit speed and such things discussed before I'd say all in all their performace is OK on this track, however they oversteer (and often loose) the car in the following spots:
    • Adenauer Forst
    • Klostertal / Karussell
    • Eschbach / Brünnchen
    • Schalbenschwanz
    I'd also like to point out Bergwerk. While they don't cause incidents they seem to proceed with excessive caution there, and its farily easy to catch up with them. Overtaking is possible, but they defend very well the position.

The car class (AI selection): BMW 235i Racing
    The track layout: Nordschleife
    The AI Strength setting: 94
    Your qualifying time versus AI qualifying time: 7:45.xxx vs 7:52.xxx

This test was actually just a practice session, but laptimes speak for themselves. The AI does an outstanding job staying always on-track, but I can outperform them on every section at this strength. This is because on the aforementioned spots they are übercautious negotiating corners and loose way too much momentum.

Hope this helps :)
    [​IMG]

2. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    ...Zolder

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

pointless

Andi

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. jamesleegte

jamesleegte New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    WTCR 2017 at Assen GP, the super tight hairpin in sector one, the AI go on a crazy detour off track and then they convoy dangerously back on the track that usually cause accidents and make it super easy to pass them as they have no momentum. Every single lap they do this.
    It’s my favourite combo in the game but I can’t race it anymore because of this, along with the insane traction and speed they get on the final long straight before getting into the final chicane.
    I’m sure it’s the same for any car class that races Assen GP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jamesleegte

jamesleegte New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    GT3 Interlagos start finish straight, the AI have way too much speed. I absolutely destroy them everywhere else on the track at 110 and they make up their whole lap time on the final straight.
    I’ve raced them at 100 and 110 and on the odd occasion, you get the odd AI that’s so fast on the start finish straight, it’s like they have DRS and push to pass activated, they catch you in the rear mirror like a missile.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    really could do with some lap times yours /there's Q and R

Andi

7. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The NSU qualifying versus race pace seems to be too wide apart at Watkins Glen short circuit, and they do also seem to be overpowered on the straights compared to their cornering ability (nothing to do with their exit speeds btw).

First, I noticed in practice that I could not keep up with the NSU until I dropped the difficulty level down into the mid 80s, which is extreme for me (there are some wide variations between many of the Raceroom car classes but I normally find a suitable setting between 95 and 108 for most of them).

The car class (AI selection): NSU

The track layout : Watkins Glen Short

The AI Strength setting : tried many settings from 80 to 98

Description of how AI pace is off :
    If I set the difficulty to give me a tough pace in practice (top 6 lap time if I drive really well), then qualifying is EXTREMELY difficult and leaves me in last place (16th) by a couple of seconds to the next car. But then, the race pace is so easy that I am in the lead after a single lap.
    If I compensate by setting the difficulty so that I am much quicker than the AI in Practice, (which is silly), then I can qualify higher up, but then I leave the rest of the field behind with no effort at all.
    If I set the practice difficulty to be really tough, then, hopefully the race pace is a challenge, but this means I am several seconds slower than the last car in qualifying.

Their extra speed is most noticeable on the straights, rather than the turns. At the entry to turn one, a second gear right hander, the AI are noticeably slower than I am, and at the entry to turns five & six, they are slightly slower; so there does seem to be an issue there between their high straight line speed versus their slower cornering, but the overriding issue is also the race versus qualifying discrepancy.

8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Can confirm similar behavior on Portimao GP (in NSU).

At 95 skill, they do 2:18-2:19 in quali but only 2.22+ in the race. My laptimes are about 2:20 although I have little experience in this combo.

They are slower than me in corners but can keep up on straights even when I have better exit and they are not in anyone's slipstream.

9. Henrik Fredborg

Henrik Fredborg New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, even after last update. Tried DTM 2023 at Watkins Glen. Fastest AI driver at level 97 was 1.42.xxx. But in the race they are doing 1.46.xxx. Also the AI crashes on every lap at the chicane with endless white flags. As reported they exit too fast out of fast corners and are too slow in tight corners so just about impossible to have at good race.
    It says in the patch notes that the AI pace was reduced, but maybe they forgot to adjust the quali pace?

• Like Like x 1
  10. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    AIs suffer lots from pacespread, still some unbalancing on Watkins Glen and way faster AI with the Bentley Continental GT
    Tested with GTR3 cars
    Tested at Watkins Glen, Daytona, Road America and Salzburgring
    Tested with 95 % skill level

At all of these tracks I mentioned no matter what selection of cars I hand out to the AIs, there is always the occasion when, the AI in P2 finishes almost 10 + seconds ahead of the AI behind it. Few times there has been a moment when the AI in P3 may keep up with the AI in P2 but mostly it doesnt. Here is an explaination of what it looked like with fastest lap at what circuit: At the Daytona, the AI in P2 did 1:49:2xx while the vast majority of the AIs behind it did 1:50 or 1:51 At Watkins Glen International with chicane, the P2 AI does 1:46:2xx, whilest the P3 AI did a 1:48:xxx throughout the whole race and causing a slow train of cars to follow it without a pass. Also still happening, AIs in the Bentley Continental GT are still way faster in terms of average pace compared to the rest of the cars. At Watkins Glen I still notice the AI behind aircrafts through corners "outer loop", "chute" and #10. Even with my fastest attempt, the AIs are still atleast 0,5 seconds faster than me in S3.
    Take note, this all happens post update!

UPDATE: Tried with the Formula Raceroom 90 with the same skill level at Sepang. The same happens with two AIs leading away very well from the rest. They both make 1:40s whilest the rest of the AIs make around 1:41 or even 1:42

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  11. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    An example I recently caught at Road America. Tested this time with 94 % difficulty just to check if a difference would occur. Turns out, it wasnt anything better. Pay attention to the gap between the P2 and P3 finisher as well as the fastest lap from every AI

Attached Files:

12. Jason Carlson

Jason Carlson Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I got a couple of races in today. I don't have data on the first couple until I remembered to turn on Second Monitor for my last race. All races were at 92%.
    GT2 at Monza was pretty fair with the Audi.
    MX cup at Assen was decent as well.
    Group 2 (VW) was a disaster, I tried 4 tracks and the setup is undriveable. Tire pressure is really low, when you go on track you get flat tire warnings. If you ad a couple psi, then it's like on roller skates. AI doesn't seem to have any issues, but I don't have any times to compare.
    MX cup at Zuhua was another disaster, this time for the AI. The AI were crashing consistently, couldn't get a good lap in from them. I think the spins were in turn 1 and the turn on the bottom of the hill before the back straight.
    Finally for some empirical data (that I will try to continue to provide going forward if this will help fix the best AI in the biz): Moscow MX Cup (still on 92%) my average was 2:02.856. Second place avg was 2:07.82. Not much of a race.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Do we know which, if any, tracks have had the AI looked at? They are still crashing at Brands Hatch and Oschersleben :(

14. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    You ned to drive at least 5 full laps for the tyres to be fully up to temperature.

15. Jason Carlson

Jason Carlson Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I should have explained more. I did get about 4 laps in and the tires went from a flat warning, which was new to me as I had never seen that before. But I kept driving and watched the front's go up. By the fourth lap the fronts were all bright red at over 110 degrees. So at that point I knew something wasn't right. Restarted Raceroom and tried a different track and it had the same flat tire warning. Quit and tried one more track, same. I've raced Group 2 quite a bit and really enjoyed it, this was new strange behavior I want to report to help you guys out. I'll try it one more time tomorrow and go a full 5 laps and tell you the starting and ending temps and pressures.
    Thanks.

16. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    flat warning from what ?

Andi

17. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    AI prone to accidents:
    The car class (AI selection): DPi (19) & DTM'23 (23)
    The track layout: Watkins Glen GP with inner loop
    The AI Strength setting: 100
    Racelength: 30 min.

I notice many yellow flags because of Spins in Turn 1 and also in the inner loop. And also strange car behavior on some of the curbs (it looks sometimes, that the cars are jumping)

18. Wifredo Sevilla

Wifredo Sevilla Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    AI prone to accidents:
    The car class (AI selection): GT3 & WTCR 20/22
    The track layout: Dubai GP
    The AI Strength setting: 95
    Racelength: Practice/Qualifying

Pit entry. The AI suddenly change their racing line when they want to make a pit stop, and goe for it by crossing the track from the outside line to the inside line, instead of keeping to the inside as they were supposed to. This results in a kind of stunt that can create chaos if other cars are behind.

edit: grammar stuff

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  19. Wifredo Sevilla

Wifredo Sevilla Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    More on Dubai
    AI prone to accidents:
    The car class (AI selection): Porsche 911 (2019) & WTCR 20/22/ TCcup
    The track layout: Dubai GP
    The AI Strength setting: 95
    Session: 30 minutes qualifying

AI seem to have trouble driving within track limits in some areas. They are prone to exit corner 12 too wide, and usually all four wheels end up off-track there, but no problems other than that. Corner 4, however, is a whole different story. They are too fast negotiating corner 3, specially GT3 class, and miss the apex at corner 4 so much, so they frequently wind up off-tracking the whole car. Then they attempt to recover way too hard, which causes them to loose grip and drift to the opposite side, then banging the wall and leaving the car in the middle of the track. Numerous yellow and white flags are waved there.

I can provide a replay if useful.

[​IMG]

20. Jason Carlson

Jason Carlson Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Otterhub overlay showing the tire temps and pressures. There was a blue symbol over the front tires with a warning symbol. That did not show up after the latest update that included Group 2 updates, but the car is still no fun to drive. It was very fun to drive prior to the tire updates.