Skyline could do with some improved sounds.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nathan M, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Nathan M

Nathan M New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This thread is really addressed to the developers.

The latest addition of the group a cars is great, hopefully it gets fleshed out with a few more cars (sierra's, commodores etc) and in general the sounds are class leading as always.

The only car im a little underwhelmed by is the r32. Being the greatest of the group a cars, and the Gibson motorsport cars in particular being the best touring cars in the world I was a bit disappointed by the sounds.

Firstly there is no audible blow off sound in real life at all. Ive supplied a couple of different video's for reference.

Secondly the ingame sounds just lack a little oomph, the skyline has a pretty decent engine note to it that is definitely deeper sounding then the one in game.

Theres a brief bit of audio just after the one minute mark in the following video that shows how much louder on board the cars are in real life.

An onboard lap that highlights how engine note is different to in game.

Hope you guys take this as constructive criticism and make some changes :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I can hear backfire at 0:56 in the first vid...

3. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yup, but I can not find anything about backfires in his post though? :p

If you're referring to the blow off valve then you are thinking of a different sound. A backfire is a pop you here when fire comes through or out of the exhaust pipe. A blow off valve sound is a cherp or psshh sound you hear when pressure is released from the turbo (I think, my bro car nuts will help me out here if i'm wrong. :p)

Blow off valve:

You hear that a lot in WRC cars but also other turbo charged cars can produce the sound like the current WTCC cars.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    remember video cam corders always make a car sound deeper than they do irl and never capture the extremity of the sound (this is why the mics used are called compression mics(great for voice not so much for accuracy)) so without ever having heard one irl you have little to no idea how they actually sound. (trust me see v8sc irl is completely different to tv). don't take this as the r32 couldn't do with a touch up so much as if you are forming your opinion on the sound based off of videos its not exactly credible info and cant be used to make sounds accurately.

although more aggressive shifts are something that have been discussed and would be very noticeable in this car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nathan M

Nathan M New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ive spent a lot of time around both the gio and the Winfield cars, sat in them, been next to them multiple times on start up on the dummy grid and watched them race plenty of times so I have some familiarity with group a skylines.

Like I said the sounds are great in general in the game I feel they are on the right track with this car but imho theres a reasonable margin to get them up to spec. Hopefully the videos provided gave the developers an idea of how these amazing race cars sound in real life.

There is one certainty at least...no audible blow off sound. (im struggling to remember but I believe blow off valves were heavily restricted in the regs? )

6. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
  7. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Well, about the r32, I just can say that I've spent a considerable amount of time on this sound, and I redid the onboard sound several times before the release, mostly because good sound references are quite rare for this car.

There are a lot of onboard videos of course, but very few are exploitable to make a sound for the game.
    So, I selected the best videos available and they still didn't sound great, which explains why the ingame sound is not providing the quality I'm aiming for.

I'm afraid I can't access a better material to improve what we have for now, so we'll probably need to live with it until something new pops up.

Regarding the turbo dumpvalve sound, it's actually very loud in real life and here's 2 videos of the factory car (that we used as a reference for the game) where you can hear it clearly:

Also, there's a lot of japanese onboard and trackside videos from the group A era where you can hear the dumpvalve very well.
    Exemple :
    It's even super loud on some external videos so I guess the ingame sound is accurate, at least about this detail.;)
    There must be an explanation about why the australian skylines don't have the same loud dumpvalve though.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And this 4 wheel drive, 550 - 650hp monster is BOP:ed with the Volvo...

9. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Would be nice if they created another class with only the 550-650 spec Skyline in it, kind of a spec racer in that way just like the ProCar, and then have the Skyline as we have it now stay in the Touring Class. I kinda agree with Turbo, it feels like you miss out on that ridiculous power.

By the way, anything Keiichi Tsuchiya touches is legendary. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Cant say if its allowed but why dont take a look at Polyphony's sounds for GT?It may be of help.

11. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I don't think they have a single realistic sounding car in their gran turismo games (most sound like washing machines but now a few are at camcorder level).

13. alesi27

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Ok , I know that most sounds in GT are bad but that doesnt mean that they cant be used as a comparison sample.Also,forgot to say that the GTR32 is in Codemasters's Grid Autosport ,so that may be worth another look.

14. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    I'm quite fan of the Gran Turismo games, and I drove the r32 Group A in GT many times since its apparition in GT4.

Unfortunately, the r32 group A sound in the Gran Turismo games is not very good nor realistic (they use the same sound in GT4, GT5 and GT6). So, I don't think it's possible to use this sound as a reference.

The r32 in the Grid games sounds quite good though, but I know they recorded the real car themselves, which makes things much easier to get an accurate ingame sound.

But don't worry, I know exactly how this car sounds, I just need some better reference material and I'll be able to improve the cockpit sounds ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  15. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    You've probably considered this before but another angle might be to look at less conventional ways of reproducing sounds. In the absence of good quality authentic material, I believe the GTL Workshop team made good use of chainsaws and Protools to recreate convincing sounds for their GTR2 PnG mod.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there are many ways to recreate an engine sound, including mixing samples from several different engines.

I'm already using this kind of technique when I'm totally out of usable ressources, but I always prefer to use some actual recordings of the car/engine we want to put in the game.

In the case of the r32 group A, the car has a pretty unique sound and I think it would be a shame to build its ingame sound from other car engines.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Winter

Winter Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Awesome video ! Airplane sounds are also one of my big passions, especially the old jetfighters and airliners, but this beats everything, it's a triple concentrate of post-combustion :D

19. alesi27

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    So S3S next game confirmed Spaceroom Flying Experience or SFE....

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Winter

Winter Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Can't wait for the Space Race 68 season pack, with classics such as Saturn V and the N1. Perhaps also including all Apollo liveries?

• Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015