Ideas And Suggestions! (features and game mechanics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi, whats the possibility of adding a outside or maximum dead zone to the accelerator? The brake and clutch has them so it cant be the hardest task I would guess.

Reason - I find myself pressing the pedal so hard it hurts during longer sessions. Also I have found my new V3 Clubsport Pedals sometimes only register 96-98% and need resetting a lot. It used to happen on the V2 also. So im guessing its caused by me pressing it past the full 100% and then it finds a new 100% that's past the old maximum.

Cheers guys

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I realize I'm really late to this discussion but situational awareness in racing sims is a hot button issue for me. The thing I don't understand with people who so strongly oppose the addition of spotters, wide virtual mirrors, or other tools that aid SA is that you don't need to use it if you don't want to. It's the same as all the other HUD options available. If you want to play without a HUD, then go ahead and play without a HUD.

Why would you oppose something that at worst would make other drivers around you safer? I really don't understand it. Nobody is forcing you to use these things if you don't want to.

In R3E you can't see mirrors like in real life. I'm lucky if I have full view of the rear mirror, let alone side mirrors. This is why I'm a strong advocate of a (optional!) triple virtual mirror rFactor arrangement or single wide angle virtual mirror. It simulates the same thing as having 3 readily glanceable mirrors.

In R3E you don't have the same field of view or peripheral vision as real life. This is why I'm a strong advocate for some kind of (optional!) visual tool to aid drivers in knowing where other cars are relative to themselves. Triple monitor setups go a long way in alleviating this, but not everybody has the space or money to do such a thing.

Again, I cannot overstate my bewilderment at refusing to give people tools to drive better. Especially when the most common complaint about racing online is that people crash into each other because they're unaware of other cars. Why wouldn't you want to make racing safer and cleaner for everybody involved?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    CSP V2 owner here. I also have the aforementioned accelerator issue.....quite frequently.

Personally I think the sensors are just a bit crap. Your explanation may also be valid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The sad thing is that this probably won't have any effect on the ones constantly crashing into other drivers, they just don't care and are often to slow to be competitive anyway..

But more options is always good!
    Even if I personally don't like, and use as few huds as possible.

By the way, have you tried the Crew Chief?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Saying that people who crash will continue to crash is true only to an extent. The people who really don't care will of course continue to mess up, but what about somebody who is putting an honest effort into it but just aren't quite there yet either for lack of experience (new players) or technical reasons (simple single screen setups)? I think these are the majority of players, not intentional wreckers. This is for those people.

I've played with Crew Chief, it's a wonderful mod for a lot of reasons and something like it should absolutely should make it into the vanilla game. A large part of it being because it gives you a lot of information that you should have, but otherwise don't have access to or is only visible through incredibly intrusive and obstructive HUD elements that need a redesign.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't object to such an option.
    But I also don't think it actually helps a lot when it comes to mp races.
    What are the issues most of the time?
    1) People braking too late,
    2) people lagging/warping,
    3) people making unsafe moves in an attempt to overtake,
    4) people deliberately crashing for whatever reason (rage, anger, revenge),
    all of which won't be cured by any aids cause the driver who is to blame wasn't unaware of the other car, he just was too bold, stupid or hindered by his hardware, connection or the game.

The single occasion this is of actual use is when going side by side for more than a couple seconds and being in doubt about how much of the track one can use, which are the least of all the incidents.
    I for one (using a single screen) can deal with it the way it is. If a car disappears behind me and doesn't show up in front of me, well where might it be? ;) Fair play does the rest.

Again, nothing against the idea, lets have it as an option, why not. But the way I see it, it won't aid in most incidents that make people angry.

EDIT: And I find the position bar to be an excellent help in such close encouter situations. It shows me exactly how much room there is between me and the other car. If we're closer than 0.1 seconds then I know I can't just use my normal line cause someone is driving alongside me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The difference is that all those situations you can see in your windscreen ahead of you just fine. Number 3 is a little different if they're coming from behind, which is where a bigger virtual mirror would come in handy over the positively tiny one in game right now.

Virtual side mirrors or whatever might get added would help in the situation where you simply cannot see the neighboring car, unless maybe you have a gigantic 3 monitor setup, and in real life you should be able to see them by just glancing over. And no, the glance left/right buttons are not the same thing because they cause you to lose sight of the road ahead in an unrealistic way that would be akin to somebody blacking out your windshield

I.e., I'm trying to address a problem with a solution that tackles said problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0

Can always move seat back to give better view of mirrors and playing with field of view also you can, with a bit of tinkering come up with a good compromise, I can see door and rearview mirrors with added crew chief feel I am tooled up for racing. Unfortunately doesn't stop me getting rammed off the track on a regular basis!! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'd say all of those situations except the warping/lagging are different because if I can see the situation in my windscreen then I'm the one crashing. :D
    The victim in such situations is always the one being hit from behind or the side, by a car he did not see infront of him. That's the whole point, isn't it? I've never been hit by a car infront of me, if anything then I am hitting a car infront of me, which is, just like in real life traffic, almost always the fault of the driver hitting (ignoring breakchecking or other unpredictable behaviour, which also wouldn't be cured by additional aids), not the one being hit.

And when you say that more/better mirrors or Helicorsa or whatever helps in those situations then it sounds like you're saying that it would help to get out of the way of a driver that is about to crash into me.
    But I don't think that is my responsibility at all, we're not playing dodgeball here.

Again, for side-by-side action it might actually be useful to some users, but if I look at the position bar I know whether there's a car alongside mine, even if I missed him in the mirror, and in such a case I always try to leave him at least a cars width of tarmac, just like they do irl.
    And again, I'm pretty sure those are the least incidents people complain about, most of the time it's about being crashed into by someone else who came in too strong or did it deliberately.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  10. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    As I stated previously, an easy solution to all this is, "Automated Flashing Headlights" like they do in WEC, and activates automatically when the car behind you reaches a set distance from the rear of your car.

I have found that there are times when I'm so mentally fixed on whats ahead, especially if I'm trying to catch someone for position, that I forget to glance my mirrors often enough, and have not seen someone coming up behind me. Not having a proper flag system makes it even harder, if there was a flag marshal in place the blue flags would inform us there is someone coming up behind you, "hint hint devs".

Im not keen on unrealistic aids, like look behind or opponent markers, and for the realism I don't implement them as they
    "don't replicate simulated racing or the view from a real racecar" , which is what I thought this game was, a "Simulation" of real racing, which is why I race RRE & AC, in my opinion they are the best available for the simulation of motor racing.

I don't believe for one minute that the real world cars have mirrors positioned so you cant see out of them, take a V8 SuperCar for example, the driver is situated between the B pillars (structural safety aspect), so the seat is at least 8 to 12inches further back than the normal driving position, depends on driver height & preference, and usually much lower than the normal car seat position for the benefit of lower centre of gravity. Yet these guys can see out of their mirrors with no problems, even at 300k's an hour. The biggest problem with the in game mirrors, their position is not adjustable.

Maybe some should try go-kart racing (heaps of fun for very little money), there's no mirrors, or spotters or little arrows to inform you of your opponents position. Just your instincts, awareness and a quick turn of the head, karting is where many drivers learn "situational awareness".

Lets face it, we simracers long for the "ultimate simulation" that takes real world racing and replicates it perfectly, but I doubt this will happen anytime soon, because I don't think it's possible. Realities finer points will always elude
    the sim world, the biggest challenge for the dev's, replicating G-forces, if this can be simulated the company that does it will be king of the race sims. But in the meantime we do with what we have on offer, so lets make it as realistic as possible.

Ban all unrealistic aides, I say..................Joking of course, each to their own.

Cheers

11. Ivanovich

Ivanovich New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How about a feature like making multiplayer actually work? Or, for starters, just making the game so that I'm not watching a slideshow, even in offline mode?

That would be very much appreciated, before working on all of these other 'cool' suggestions!

I have an i7 quad Core, 8 GB RAM, AMD 290X GPU, SSD drive and 50 mps up and down internet, and it plays like azz FFS!

A little frustrated, ummm, yeah!

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    And a warm welcome to you too.

Maybe you should check your setting, graphics especially, cause I can run it at 60 fps with pretty high settings, only have to sacrifice the most taxing ones (shadow split, motion blur) with, as you can see in my sig, a PC much less capable than yours.

Multiplayer? Works here, it's great. ;)
    Seriously tho, what's wrong? (Maybe should open a thread in the support section tho)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ivanovich

Ivanovich New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's great for you. Not so for me. Slide show and lag makes racing online risky for other drivers. Such a shame. Enjoy the game, but for many (I'm from alone on this issue) it's unplayable.

My PC is a beast and all graphics settings are set to minimum. Developers have work to do. At this point Race07 was better! Sad.

14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Beginning to think that all these connection problems must be country/exchange or PC connected as I find it very difficult to understand why some people can't connect at all, some get serious lag, some just get the odd problem yet most have little problems at all, if there was a server or code issue it would apply to all participating and not just the odd one or two. I know for a fact there are issues with some routers, there are also numerous pieces of malware that will hijack bandwidth so good anti malware software is essential. Some anti virus can play havoc with some servers also. The fact that most people see a PC as a glorified console, turn it on and all will work fine but in my experience (30 years building and maintaining network systems) PC's need fettling and tweaking regularly. The amount of systems that I've been called out to fix and all was wrong was the C: drive Fragmented or not having enough headroom, filled up with junk, too many programs running in the background stealing memory, riddled in malware or the most regular just not configured appropriately for the job intended. There are hundreds of reasons why networks can fail and just because another game can be played perfectly online with no problems means nothing as it could be just a problem between two exchanges or countries. I guarantee that 90% plus problems begin with the host PC, internet is awash with tips and tricks to keep a gaming machine (another problem multiple users and multiple uses) in tip top condition and most of it is just basic housekeeping but essential for smooth running. Blaming a developer is the easy out, no work needed your end the amount of times I've heard my PC can run anything it's not a problem my end blah, blah, blah, blah, do you have latest bios for your mobo, latest video and network drivers, if you have has there been any problems reported, it goes on and on and on the latest Maxwell GPU has 9 billion transistors, one f****d all f****d, every windows PC has over 65,000 ports, do you know which ones are open or closed? or even being used by something that shouldn't be there at all. A bad install or uninstall can play havoc, one missing file from hundreds of thousands and game over. It's never as simple as I'm right you're wrong, trying to get code to run on the multitude of PC configurations used on this planet is one headache I'm glad I don't have, so if you have a problem that no one else appears to have there is a good chance it's your end, multiples of the same problem should all be under the same thread on the forum and dealt with as they arise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    unless they know the problem how can they fix it?

16. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    cof cof... -Ideas And Suggestions! (features and game mechanics)- ... cof cof

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have a suggestion for the class selection screen.
    Now with both ADAC GTM 2015, WTCC 2015 and later DTM 2014-15 and TT-Cup 2015 - 16 and so on being released.. .

We will have a lot of real series that stretch over several years!!
    How about putting those series in subfolders, so that we just have one of each in the selection screen?
    One for ADAC, WTCC, DTM and TT-Cup.
    And when we pressed one of those, we then can select 2013. 2014 or 2015.
    Would make the class selection easier to go through and give it a cleaner look!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Generally could introduce "genre folders" of some kind.
    Like you mentioned for Experiences, but maybe also Historic, GT, Prototype etc.

But while the UI is much better it generally could use some tweaks. Makeing those sections with several pages scrollable f.e.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Duke49th

Duke49th New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    All I need is:

* Real flag rules (yellow/blue/black and so on)
    * Proper Damage Model - right now I can drive with 200kph into a wall - no serious damage.
    These Things were already in former Simbin racing simulations and I am a bit disappointed its not in 3RE

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Dust and bugs on windshield.

(and maybe an occasional deer in hillclimb or a kangaroo in Bathurst) :eek:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1