Steering Like A Boat Fixed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glygoo, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Glygoo

Glygoo New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For as long as I've been playing RRRE I've always got the impression that the car tends to wave from side to side making it difficult to control. I believe that other posters on the forum have noticed the same effect.

Bear with me on this OK? I also play Stock Car Extreme which has a FFB EFFECTS option where you can choose FFB OFF LOW MEDIUM HIGH AND FULL. Most GSC resources recommend setting FFB EFFECTS to LOW with a G27.

Although there are lots of FFB settings to fiddle with in RRRE I haven't been able to dial out the wavy handling, until now. I was poking around the "Logitech G27 Paddle Shift.rcs" control set file and I found this line

FFB Effects Level="1" // Number of FFB effects to use: 0=No Effects, 1=Low, 2=Medium, 3=High, 4=Full, 5=Custom (identical to SCE).

Mine was set to 4 or 5 (can't remember sorry), anyway I changed the value to "1" and voila, I can now race without feeling that the car is constantly waving around from side to side. This has certainly made a big difference for me and now I will be enjoying the game like I've always wanted to. By changing FFB EFFECTS to "1" it takes out most of the "canned" effects which aren't needed with a G27. All the FFB effects are still there, grip, sliding, kerbs, bumps etc.

In game the only FFB settings I have changed are FFB Intensity 50% and Shift Effect 20% I now have a good basic FFB feel to play with.

Hope this is useful to all you G27 users out there with the same wavy feeling.

If you want to try this, edit the "Logitech G27 Paddle Shift.rcs" file first, then go into the game and create a new controller profile based on the G27.

Cheers
    Glygoo

Glygoo PC Spec
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC Windforce 3X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor
    Antec High Current Gamer 620W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
    Samsung Green (MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz 30nm Dual Channel Kit
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo CPU Cooler
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    Antec 302 Three Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I had thought, this FFB effects level parameter is a relict of the old FFB code and is no longer used.:confused:
    But @Sector3 should know it better. :rolleyes:

3. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    nice find - going to look at this tonight!! thanks

4. CrustyA

CrustyA New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have this issue on a T300RS.. for grins I tried this but I didn't have that line in my rcs file in "My documents"
    I did see it on the default rcs file for the T300RS (in the Steam folder) so i tried copying that line (Was set to 4 by default for the T300) and added it to my custom rcs in "My documents"

Unfortunately i didn't notice any difference when driving. (In DTM 2014)

Also interesting I made a different change to the FFB settings while in the game and noticed it removed the FFB Effects Level line I had just added.. maybe Ernie is correct and it's not used anymore (or at least for the T300maybe?)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    no change here too....t300, but great shout if it works for g27.

6. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Dang it, I have a T300 boat as well and I was hoping this would help cure it. I find that editing the grip exponents helps but doesn't fully cancel the hovercraft mode. Really hoping the ffb/physics updates coming next month will finally solve this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yup DTM and GTR2 feel like big boats with a TX. GTR3 a bit too but WTCC is smooth. Maybe with the coming physics updates the boat feel will be gone?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to hope so, but at this point I've almost given up hope to be honest. Some cars feel better than others but I feel to boat effect to some extent in all of the cars, feels more like racing on an air hockey table than on sticky tarmac.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    I cant say if or when all the cars will be updated but for the physics of ADAC15 and DTM15 plus a few other categories, the boat feeling is gone. It feels correct and precise. They are putting in a lot of work into those cars and coming along so well, they will for sure be a must have. For example the Audi R8 or Mclaren will be proper favorites now, since they were some of the worse handling of the bunch, in my opinion.

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Thanks James, you've just put a very large smile on my face!! :D I hope they can get the new physics applied to all cars quickly, and especially the free ones so people who try the game can get a proper taste of it, fall in love with it, and hopefully start populating the servers for some immersive racing. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. James Nance

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Thats there plan. The Aquila is secretly becoming one of my favorite cars to drive, sounds great too. Soon servers will be filled with people racing just those cars because there that fun to drive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    ...and then the '14 cars will become irrelevant just like the '13 cars before that. Great :rolleyes:. This is the point where the overall business model just falls flat on it's face. But that's for another topic, at least we know that they've figured something out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. James Nance

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    There are ways around that, dont jump too far ahead just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I love your positive, motivating and easygoing attitude...refreshing :rolleyes::)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    That's excellent. IMO that's they best thing they can do for the sim right now, get those free cars feeling good so people who try the free content will love them and want to get more involved/purchase more content. Of course, I want flags and features and all that good stuff too, but I think we really need to get more people racing and the fact that the free cars feel so odd probably causes most people to turn away without getting to fully experience what the sim offers.

Thanks for the info James.

• Like Like x 2
  16. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That's not "attitude", that's the truth. The only reason the DTM '13 cars are still driven is because they can be used outside of the "experience".

17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As will the '14 cars once '15 is out...
    So the '13 cars ar not irrelevant? What's your point?

Again, this is not some tweaks like '13 > '14, it's a totally different physics model concerning the whole car, from springs to tyres.
    Just my guess, but once it is finished it will most likely be applied to all the cars subsequently, everything else would make no sense at all.
    So I have to agree with Fairman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. Once '15 comes out and '14 cars are allowed to be used in R3E then the '13 cars will become completely pointless and kind of a waste for anyone who bought them. But that's not really any different than other games that release a whole new title every year, for example if you own F1 2015 I doubt you'll be going back to play F1 2013 very much. As long as you got your $30 (or whatever) worth of enjoyment from the '13 DTM cars/tracks, that's all that matters. I haven't even used them much, but I got the '13 Experience at a great discount during the holiday sale and it unlocked 8 or 9 tracks for use in R3E so I feel like I got my money's worth and won't hesitate to buy the '15 Experience (or however it's going to be packaged this time).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I drive them quiet often and like them as much as DTM 14, btw., just sayin'....GTM 13 is another thing though, thus I have to honestly ask myself why I bought them in the first place...and well, I didn't think about it and followed my compulsions...(greed and a lack of patience that time)

20. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I know where your coming from. I also had the wavey rear end when the game was in its early days. I reinstalled about 4 months ago and what a great improvement. I still feel the issue on some of the early cars (mostly adac13 and dtm13) but apart from that the game feels great. In fact it feels that good I own a crap load of content and have convinced my mates to give it a go again and since they have also brought a crap load of content too.

Fingers crossed they will get round to reworking the early content to feel like the later stuff but the game has come a long way and is most defiantly worth the download.

Hope to see you on track soon

• Like Like x 5