Gear Ratios in GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2Lame2Aime, Feb 21, 2015.

1. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody know if it is allowed or possible to change gear ratios in GT3 class in real life for example in ADAC GT Masters or VLN? I'm wondering because in R3E it is possible for every car and in real life for example a big disadvantage of the Z4 GT3 is its low topspeed. So if changing gear ratios was allowed they could just do it to get better topspeed.

2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe it is usually, especially not in SRO competition (ADAC, Blancpain). VLN usually has a much loosed interpretation of the rules though, so I could be wrong on that one.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I thought ratios were locked as a balance of performance requirement, but I'm more than likely wrong on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ive never seen these locked in any sim but the only one that is based on an actual competition that i know of is R3Es ADAC, so if theyre locked there im sure its done b/c the real series does it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    pCars has gear ratios locked for all GT3 cars due to official GT3 regulations.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting and frightening. :D

When gear ratios are locked, they will need to cover every possible track we will ever drive on. Otherwise: think about e.g. Oschersleben and Nordschleife.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    That's why GT3 cars has longer ratios this year .
    Yes, I understand it might be uncomfy. Using sims like rF or R3E we used to have ability of setting up gearboxes in all possible configurations. IRL, in most racing series (especially lower ones) it's not possible. At best they have a few gearboxes to replace. No option to setting every single gear separately.

Also IRL cars racing on strictly limited number of circuits. So existence of limitations like the new GT3 rules is possible. In sims we can get any car on every track, even if car is not prepared to it. At the end about Oschers and Nord: in worst scenario you will have lower acceleration at Oschers or you hit limiter at Nordschleife. Until all cars in the race will be limited in the same way, I cannot see a problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015