Interesting observation with the AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GroovyMotion, Feb 20, 2015.

1. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I decided to test the AI tonight...I have reset the AI xml file and set it to Adaptive and ran a few laps where I knew I would be faster than the AI. I know I have been saying that the can really bump you off the track if you are too slow but now I did the opposite. :p
    I approached the AI cars much faster and gave them a "gentle bump" and in all cases the AI car would move to the right and let me pass. And after passing them they didn't try to bump me off track. For me this is quite intelligent AI and non-agressive which is quite nice!
    This experiment is just to show my appreciation to the AI in R3E...might not be the gest in the world but in some cases it really sets itself apart! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. janni

janni Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Edit: Sorry, wrong thread! :p

3. Xandreela

Xandreela Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I found something annoying with the AI yesterday when testing it (difficulty 110).
    On Redbull Ring with WTCC, I found the AI attempts to many forcefully dive-in in some corners, resulting with a mean push in the side-rear of my car... losing control and being in the wrong direction on the track.
    Moreover, when they try to do this, they don't keep their line as if they don't see me at all
    It reminds me some "newbies" attempting impossible passing in order to gain juste one place even if it means to take two (or more) drivers down (kamikaze style).

Here are some videos I just recorded to show you (the overall quality is bad because I have a bad internet connection and it will take centuries to upload otherwise) :

PS : Dunno if it's the right thread to post this, sorry if it is not the case ^.^'

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    In the first video you were clearly on the inside and there was no more room for the AI to try to take the corner...IRL he would have had a penalty.
    On the second video it's hard to judge...seems that the AI was in the racing line?!

5. Xandreela

Xandreela Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The problem we're seeing in the first video is that the AI attempts to force on the inside too often (that's not the first time it does that), resulting either an accident or to let them pass without being able to defend your position.
    In the second video, the AI accelerate too much after entering in the corner and it kept the ideal racing line instead of keeping the interior (moreover, l stayed in the outside of the corner in order to avoid a collision, without success).

Raceroom AI is better than others recent simulations but need some improvements in that I found them too much agressive and trying too many dangerous overtakings.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    yep, they need to know when to overtake, a good moment to overtake.... now they really try to overtake you where they can, at any sacrifice.

Either defensive AC AI or aggressive R3E AI. I would like the middle of both :) .... but i think this is something hard to code.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I have found the AI seem to respond to a light tap of the brakes before turn in. It is as if this tells them your in front of them. Sometimes i even brake early to alert the AI. Helps in MP as well
    Also getting the correct AI level. Too low and you will be hitting them, too high and they will be hitting you.

8. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    One time where the AI is quite intelligent is if you went off-track, you will notice they slow down considerably even during practice.