Resolved Error 503

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by GregoryLeo, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting five-oh-threes since yesterday. Single Player exclusively here.

Since the update, switching to the next menu takes incredibly long, up to 40 seconds, but I got there.

Since yesterday, I started to get 503s, on different occasions:
    - can happen when launching the sim, and klicking the first time to get beyond the greeting advert screen and to the main menu;
    - can happen when wanting to change to any of the following menues (single player);
    - can happen when entering pit menu;
    - can happen after leaving driving on track and wanting to access pit menu.

Sometimes waiting an eternity, sees reward in that you reach the stage of the action you started when switching to the wanted menu even after getting the error, but most times not.

Sometimes I have to switch to desktop and kill the game via task manager.

With such a hugh price tag, this game needs a full Steam Offline capability. Repeatedly said, but cannot be repeated often enough. Its one of its most obvious weaknesses. And is one of its most often mentioned objects of criticism of people who check out R3E for the first time - and then decide against it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Took a 1/2 hr to get in last night. Then kept routing me back to the main menu. Never got to race after an hour of trying. I know this game is in beta still. But......

3. jcookeusa

jcookeusa Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I'd just like to chime in on this issue. From what I recall, this has only happened to me once over the past few months, but once is too many times, considering I'm only playing single-player.

I bought the big 10,000 vrp pack and have used up almost all of that, grabbing all the packs and a couple discounted tracks (that aren't yet in packs). But now I'm debating whether to get more vrp to continue buying content. The lack of a reliable, offline, single-player mode is the sticking point for me.

I love this game and really want to continue supporting it's development, but I'm concerned that I can't use the sim when wanted (because of server problems) or, worse, that I lose my investment completely because of Sector3 shutting down (I hope not, but you never know). This lack of a proper offline mode is currently keeping me from investing more money in the sim.

I know these "what's keeping people from the sim" type discussions are a constant annoyance to some on the forums, but for good reason (I think). Please seriously consider enabling offline, single-player use of RRRE.

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Tried twice over this day's afternoon, and everything was smooth again, even the delays were cut much shorter. Their producer said in another thread that they were switching off some services temporarily, for diagnosis. If that causes my improvement, then it really worked wonders. Single Player here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Had this problem too...at the end yesterday I gave up playing and fired up guilty gear on my Dreamcast...i don't think we will see an offline mode soon but this is real what the game needs...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, getting this way too often latey. Hope S3 sort this out soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yup, the game ram seamlessly this morning. Trouble is I only had about 15 minutes before I remembered some things that needed my immediate attention. :oops:

8. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Stangely enough, I didn't want this to become a bitch and moan thread. I only mentioned the error in the first place because I had finally convinced some friends of mine to download the free game and try this sim out. Because they were getting tired of the costs of iRacing. So this is really inconvenient timing. 99.9% of my game time is single player. But if I could get some of my old racing freinds from our real racing game days to come. I'd spend a lot more time racing online. ;)

9. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I've had one player on the helpdesk say that he managed to resolve the issue on his end by:
    • Re-installing the game
    • Deleting all related folders
    • Running a registry clean-up
    This is obviously a bit of a hassle, but if somebody else could try this out and see if that solves your issue, we'd appreciate it. If you want to save on the download I would advise trying to do the "delete folders" step first.

He said he posted his solution here on the forums somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Edit:
    It was earlier in this thread apparently!
    As I said, you guys could even try just deleting the folders without re-installing the game. If that works, it'll save you the download.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just want to add that you can (and should anyway) make backups of your steam games. Just make sure you verify the cache files before do so you don't backup corrupted data. Then right click the game in steam's library and in the context menu chose "Backup Game Data", steam will take you through the rest. This will spare you having to re-download everything if something goes belly-up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. db_99

db_99 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this suggestion guys.
    Assuming they didn't fix something on the server side this morning, I moved the Simbin folder from Documents/MyGames to the desktop (instead of deleting so I could put it back if it didn't work) and launched RRRE and I got in for the first time since the update. Exited and started it up again and I got in again, 2x in a row !
    Don't have time to actually play this morning so can't comment on play yet but I had access to all cars/tracks etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    That's really nice to hear @db_99 !
    Especially that the only thing you needed to do was move the User folders.

I've got some people I sent very long support emails on how to make Steam backups, and registry cleaning to write back to tomorrow :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I took my laptop to work and did everything except clear the registry. Logged in and out Three times with no problems at all. And in fact it loaded very fast even on my slow internet connection. And all my data seems to be their as well. Getting ready to race right now to see if adaptive ai are still dialed in. Fingers crossed. ;)

Update: I lost pretty much all my car setups and controller data and am starting from scratch again with that. BUT I've logged in 5 times in the last few hours and no problems. And as I stated earlier, the game is loading very fast. Plus all my single player championship data is still there. Luckily I remember most of my controller setups. And the adaptive ai are easy to adjust.
    Thanks to Hannes for the reminder of the earlier post. I kind of forgot about that.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  14. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Nah, that's the downside right there. Adaptive AI is in those user folders, so if you got rid of the RaceRoom user folders it'll have been reset... Unless we put that on the Steam cloud. Can't remember atm. Be prepared for the possibility that it's reset though.

To try and avoid this, I'd like it if someone encountering this issue could try and ONLY delete the following folder first and see if it solves the issue without needing to delete the entire RaceRoom user folder.

\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\BrowserData\Cache

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    No worries, it's only a game. A damn good one! But still....
    Still my fav.!

16. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Are the servers still down? Because I can't get in right now.

17. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    For me it seems to work sometimes, I've succesfully raced a couple of times today. It mostly throws the error, though.

18. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. Oh well it still in beta development

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Anyone able to get it? I've tried moving my /games/SimBin folder but it makes no difference

20. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    since i moved my simbin folder, it's worked for me. ran 4 or 5 races without an issue.