No Sebring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well, a lot of good tracks lack that. Shanghai? Zandvoort which has all of one long hill that offers zero challenge? Same for Zolder and others. And much of the tracks in RR aren't what I'd call scenic. ;)

I'd also point out that Indianapolis is one of my favorite tracks because of very fast straights joined to a nice curvy infield. If flat and featureless. And I like Daytona for the same reason. Plus, if you have fast cars like GT1s, LMPs and open wheelers, ovals are much more fun. Yes, I prefer road courses - and don't prefer LMPs and open wheel road missiles - but both they and ovals can exist within a racing game without causing harm. :D

2. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    While I am not a big fan of Nascar, oval racing is a big part of the racing scene in some parts of the world. I use one sim that does have an oval racing element, and there is more to it than most are aware, not boring at all, try going side by side on an oval track and hold your line, than put the strategy of where to be on the track, pitting, and passing, not as easy as it sounds, obviously not for everyone, but it is only boring if you are not taking part in it.
    In R3E is a tri oval, Lausitz, that has a technical infield, this one has become one of my go to tracks when I want to have some fun racing against the ai.
    Think nascar cars are boring, try some sprint cars, or some cup cars on road courses.
    Everyone has there own preferences, everyone has an opinion... This is just mine.

Rich

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I respect everyones preferences but what I don't get about f.e. Nascar is why would anybody want to race in a car that is deliberately build with weak spots. From what little I know about it, the brakes are a joke and they intend it that way, to make it more thrilling I suppose? Don't get that.

4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    nascar is for people who like crashing and on track fights, that much is clear.

5. Dennis

Dennis Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    No question these Nascar racers can drive, just look how they race those pieces of crap cars on the road courses. Impressive. Anyone who can get that junk around a road course as well as they do deserves a little respect as a driver. Nascar should run half road and half oval. I might watch half the races then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I only watch NASCAR when they're on road courses or short tracks. Short tracks IMO are a lot like road courses in that you're constantly turning and lots of action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, it is one of those touchy subjects, much like politics and religeon, in a racing forum you will have 2 camps of racers, the Oval guys and than you have the road course guys, some from each camp like playing in the other sandbox, others do not. Waisting time pointing out the good and bad of each viewpoint serves no purpose... i'd rather race.

Look into sprint cars though, check out the power to weight ratio of those cars, than picture them on 1/4 mile ovals, or dirt tracks.

Some like gt cars, others open wheelers, than there are the lmp guys, or the dtm cars, wtcc, historics, the list goes on, eeryone has a preference.

It's all good

Rich

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Much of a tracks' attraction is personal IRL memories, I loved going to Sebring, love virtual racing it. As an example, I don't like SPA, I know, a sacrilege for some, too long and boring for me. I prefer shorter tracks (except for Nords, love it). SPA and Paul Ricard are the only R3E tracks I don't own.

EDIT: I purchased Paul Ricard last night. The R3E SPA looks very good, better than most, I just never drive it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  9. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Ovals... to each their own I guess. Why not mix the best of all with an historic Monza and its Pista di Alta Velocita? Though I'd have a hard time imagining R3E with historic cars, not really its brand signature ;)

Why not the Circuit de la Sarthe instead? Gives more room for endurance events, especially with multi-class racing. Only missing item then would be day/night cycle :p

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If I wanted to go round in circles I'd get married again, please leave ovals to iracing and concentrate on exactly the variety of tracks already available (maybe more Brit tracks, I mean at least one, Brands Indy is a joke, imho) race tracks should go left/right and up/down not round and round.

Very few Americans involved in top world Motorsport at the moment in either cars or bikes, maybe if they practiced more on world tracks rather than following each other around things may change!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Eck Simpson

Eck Simpson Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    (Beware, a philosophical idiots pov, on its way) Only point to point events, aren't going round in circles. You can put as many corners between the first and last, as you like. You'll still end up, right back where you started, completing your circle/s.

And, as if that was enough... lol. Oval racing in Europe, goes a long way back in motorsport history, too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    And since then Europe evolved to safer and more interesting forms ;)

13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, we just found out it's boring so we came up with something more entertaining. :p

14. Jack Mitchell

Jack Mitchell Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    (Stupid start to this thread - Sebring isn't in any sim so why be angry at R3E??)

Sebring would be awesome but it doesn't relate to any of R3E's current projects so I can't see it happening any time soo - unless they go back to re-work their Daytona Prototypes and maybe build more of the IMSA series?

15. Eck Simpson

Eck Simpson Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Europe continues in its rich Oval tradition. Britain is probably at the fore front, but by no means are we alone. Its funny you mention evolution, I refer you to my next point.

Motorsport snobbery isn't new either, no matter how you dress it. It doesn't seem to exist among real drivers, as much as punters though.

16. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    I once lived and worked at Sebring, so I like to vouch for the track a little bit. It provides great opportunities for passing and some of the bumpiest track surfaces thrown in, make it one challenging course. Besides pretty much every team and sports car program goes there to test because of its nature, if a car can survive Sebring, it can survive anywhere. It has a long tradition in motor sports dating back from WWII as an airfield to becoming one of the most well known endurance races in America. Only true version is in iRacing since its been laser scanned, but I wouldn't say a sim without it isn't a sim, but it sure would be nice to have more American tracks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't aware there was any oval tradition in Europe, or even a trend towards this style of layout, but I'm not pretending to know all the circuits either, there might be a few in remote and forsaken areas or past experiments like ASCAR ;) More seriously, the famous ones are mostly issued from street/road circuits.

18. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I saw that in a few videos, it's impressive in its details - I don't know the actual track so I can't tell whether it's accurate, but it's very well done. There's one for rF2 that doesn't do it justice by comparison, but is still fun to drive.

19. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Its very accurate, including the airfield in the back ground or the hotel by the hairpin where I used to have breakfast, only thing missing is the smell of orange trees. Its a little dated version since they've added some additional run off areas instead of grass, but the feeling of flying through turn 17 sunset bend and turn 1 is accomplishing, hanging on for life over those bumps.

20. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I don't care much for Ovals.
    But I wouldn't mind if the oval layouts for the tracks that already are in game got added, more layouts never hurt. :)
    I figure, that they don't need that much work (beside licensing) to add those cause the tracks are already modeled.
    And might draw some oval fans to the game. Win win. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1