No Sebring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    How did we come to ovals anyway, Sebring was the starting point. So back on topic, if it's considered dull by some, it may not by others, there's a cultural and experience part in it. It certainly can't hurt to have different style, and if one has some success in a part of the world there must be something worth it about it, probably worth trying too. More than once did I have some prejudice against such or such circuit, and by doing a few laps I finally found out why it had some success, and came to appreciate it. Zandvoort, which was mentioned earlier, is a good example, what could one possibly find interesting about an almost flat circuit in the middle of the sand? Now after a few sessions I'm seriously addicted to it!
    Sebring would certainly feel at home in the current set of tracks, it would of course be even better with a night option.
    And ovals ... well, they would require a proper environment, specific cars or at least car setups, rules, ... They were introduced recently in rF2, and as you say, even if I doubt I'd ever like them either, others do and the more the merrier ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm indifferent towards Sebring. Wouldn't bug me to have it or not. Thing is that we're more likely to see tracks in R3E that are used in a series we have, take Chang or Nordschleife f.e.

So unless we introduce some endurance series like ALMS, I wouldn't bet too much on it being added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    And history is where it's best kept, tried it, sussed it was shyte and moved on to pastures with lefts/rights and ups/downs! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Eck Simpson

Eck Simpson Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I refer the less than honourable "gentleman?" to my previous point.

5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Some people don't want to get jokes, even if they are marked as such with a smiley. :rolleyes:

6. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I prefer anything that is not sanitized for the borefest of modern F1, including ovals. For a flat track Sebring is pretty cool. Late apexes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CDwyer

CDwyer Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I dont like ovals, but it does seem a pity that we have two tracks that have oval options, that we do not get access to in R3E. It would be nice to have the option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I like the Sebring track and it's character and history has a cool factor all it's own.
    As for the oval track haters:
    Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's bad.
    Consider the many sports car, GT, Indy and F1 Drivers who have tried to race Nascar
    and never managed to take the top step.
    Just because they can slow down to 50 kmh and turn right doesn't me they can compete
    in a race turning left at 320 kmh in a car that's ready to go airborne any second, if the guy behind you gets to close
    or the one in front suddenly moves over 6 inches.
    All Nascar races look like traffic jam and all F1 races look like parades.
    It's all perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    And as said, we (UK) tried it, sussed it was damned boring and moved on to proper race tracks with lots of varied corners and elevations, something a little more challenging than follow the leader! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Um, that is what happens on road courses more often than not, not on ovals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    want scenery

track is made specifically for gt cars and racing located in queenstown nz it is practically made so the drivers would have something to admire on thier 6 hour endurance event. a section in a pine forest, a bridge, a lake and a great view of the mountains.

im not sure how they would implement the start tho.

• Like Like x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Racing meets Lord of the Rings. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    less than a 1 hour drive from the track.
    [​IMG]
    (used in the opening sequence of 'the two towers' film)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  14. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Beautiful

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Not to defend NASCAR in anyway, but the reason most American drivers go there is because they can be paid exponentially more there than any other non-Euro series (and probably more than in any series outside of F1 or WEC). Say what you will about NASCAR, but they know how to market their product and their drivers and it works, they probably average between 50-100k+ attendance at most races and regularly have 4+ million people watching on tv and this absolutely dwarfs all other American motorsports. Sure, the redneck fisticuffs help, and that's exactly why they encourage it.

If you were an up-and-coming American driver, would you try to get into IndyCar where you might make 50-100k a year or would you go drive in circles for closer to 1million (or more) a year? Money talks, and as a result most American drivers choose to go in circles rather than traveling the world trying to convince sponsors to buy them a temporary seat in a road-racing series.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    ...and they drive some road races too, this year cup cars (A-class) were at Sonoma and Watkins Glen. Trucks were at Mosport.

17. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    and these are the best events on the calendar cause the cars are so raw for a road track, kinda like a slower v8 supercar.

18. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I'd guess that the Cup cars with better power to weight ratio and more downforce are actually faster on tracks like the Glen, whereas on more twisty tracks like Sonoma they'd be slower than the v8s.

19. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    the main thing is how raw the cars are; no assists, no fancy diffs (v8's have locked aka welded diffs), high center of mass and low downforce.

20. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    The B-Class (Xfinity Cup) also went to Road America and Mid-Ohio and both were entertaining races (if you overlook the NASCAR rules that allow you to push your competitor out of the way for a win). These cars (Sprint and Xfinity) are good fun on road courses and it would be great if they added a few more to the schedule. I'd love to see them at the IMS road course, I never go to the Brickyard 400 anymore but I'd definitely go to a road race there and I think the cars would work well on the new layout.

• Like Like x 1