Any setup for the AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lotsastuff, Dec 10, 2015.

1. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there any way to tune the way the AI drives? I am finding the AI drivers act more like they are in a demolition derby. Their idea of overtaking seems to be to run into you from behind :)

2. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    set AI att 100% then tune them upp or down untill you find them to be as fast as you or just litle faster, that worked out for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. That's what I have been doing. Even so, their tactics are questionable - for example, you can be held up be slow traffic in front of you, and one of them will ram you from behind !! They NEVER seem to steer around you - almost like they can't see you.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Any particular class or track?

5. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am only trying the game out right now, so I only have the free tracks, and one car extra that I bought, but it seems to be across the board, no one track or class. I have it set to amateur physics. Just now I was off the normal line quite a way, having been shoved there by a car, and still, another one of them found a way to shunt me again. If he'd been driving normally, no way he should have been anywhere near me.

Have been reading some youtube reviews, and one of them mentioned the AI, and how they don't seem to see well. :) Was hoping the AI might have improved since that review, but, doesn't seem like it.

Better off racing real people !

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It actually got improved quite significantly with the last update... They do follow their lines and their racing pace, and they won't commit suicide to avoid contact. ;) So if you don't use the ideal line (at least roughly) and are driving very differently from what they do/expect, then it will cause havoc indeed.

I'm using adaptive AI and it takes some effort to get them adapted to your performance, but once they have it works pretty well (for me).

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But you have to slow down when traffic is in front. These guys do not.

I changed from adaptive because they were too easy to beat :)

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As the name says they will adapt to your performance, but for that to happen you'd need to finish some races, it doesn't take practice or quali sessions into account. Adaptive AI basically collects your best mean laptimes from a race and calculates an overall mean around which the AI times will spread slightly. It takes about 2-4 races to get them up to your level, depending on how much faster you are then they are initially.
    Adaptive AI works on a track-class base, so a new mean will/has to be created for each track with each car class.

Regarding their general behaviour, I'm also running into such occasions, but very rarely nowadays. I guess it's a combination of them adapting to me and me learning from them. ;)

9. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the explanation of the adaptive process. I was expecting them to learn while driving in practice sessions too.

As to learning from them, I am trying hard not to pick up their bad habits, for example, of getting in under a car in front of me on a corner, and pushing him out of the way. It works, but isn't a good way to drive.

10. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I have tryed to provoke them to ram me from behind as you described and I haven't had that much luck with that. They try to avoid me some even crashed in their effort not to ram me. I did the testing in different classes but not in the free class.. I have the AI set to 101% for now usualy 110-120% depending on wich class. ;)

11. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    It's crucial to find the right AI strength that match your skill level.
    If you have trouble keeping up with the ones that have passed you they are to fast, and the ones behind might close in on you to fast, this will cause them to crash into you if you brake.

But either way I much rather have an AI that ram me on occasion but put up a good fight both with me and each other, than a dull AI that never try to overtake..

And they won't ram you sideways unless you cut them of, the AI in R3E is extremely good at picking and holding their lines!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Ai is very good imo. Some flaws but in general solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I had the same experience with the AI when I first started playing rrre as well. I found setting the strength helpful, but not enough.
    First learning how to handle the cars and time on the track is paramount to serviving a fender bender with the AI. What helps me is to go into practice mode with 1 adaptive AI. And the just keep running laps. After 10 or 15 laps get out, add 10 to 20 AI and go back in. Now just keep practicing with them as you meet them. By the end of a session you should be catching and passing them. The more laps you do the closer the AI will be to your skill level in the next race on that track with that car. You don't have to finish races. I usually spend around 1/2hr in this mode, then go into a race and its usually very intense close competition.
    I win some I lose some. So it feels pretty real to me.
    Always use adaptive AI. And each time you improve (or do worse) they will mirror your changes in skill in the next race on that track with that car.

14. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fully agree, you need the AI to put up a fight. In terms of realism, I don't think real drivers would be near as willing to damage their cars though. Surely a real driver would slow down and alter their line a bit to avoid damage. I mean, it's not a gentle nudge, and if the cars weren't invulnerable, they may be well out of the race after ramming.

15. lotsastuff

lotsastuff New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions. As for catching and passing them, that's what I was able to do the first time out, provided they didn't ram me. Setting them to the highest level they beat me though. Seems I have to wait until the adaptive AI catches up a bit :)

16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Yes but if you have the AI strength too high up, it's more like when you are closing up to a wrecked car that you don't know have wrecked.
    When you realise how slow the car in front is going it's to late to avoid a crash.. ;)

The only time I get hit from behind in R3E is if I drive on my normal AI strength (104-108) on a completely new track that I haven't learned yet, or in an unknown car, if it's a really fast one.
    The faster the cars in the series / class, the lower I set the AI.
    The AI in the faster classes also tend to be a bit more aggressive than in the slower classes. (Or rather, in higher speeds your reaction times have to be so much greater, and it doesn't take a big error to cause a crash, and the crash will also be bigger, this goes for the AI as well) :)