question about steering settings/lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yusupov, Dec 22, 2015.

1. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    i have to manually set the degrees of rotation to 900 ingame or else (for example on the new F2 car) the in-game wheel moves 2x as much as mine. default for the car is 450 with 12 lock, but when i tried 900 with 24 lock it seemed very understeery...is the math not as simple as it seems? i use a thrustmaster tx wheel btw, not sure why im the only one to have this issue.

2. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Try changing your virtual wheel rotation to match your actual wheel instead of changing your actual wheel to match your virtual wheel.

3. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    so if the game sets my wheels rotation at 450, i can/have to set the virtual rotation to 450 so itll match? (it already says 450 for the actual in-game rotation)

just trying to clarify what youre saying since its a lot of real and virtual wheel bs.

4. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I just know that there's a separate adjustment for the rotation of the virtual on-screen wheel, but this has no bearing on how your car handles. It only adjusts the rotation of your on-screen wheel. I believe it's found in the same menu screen where you adjust your FOV.

Of course the simplest solution is to just turn off the on-screen wheel (took me a little while to adapt to that but once I did I can never ever go back to having a virtual wheel on my screen as it wrecks the immersion) but I understand some people prefer to have it on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    thanks, ill give that a try. the problem is that if the in-game wheel is an accurate depiction of how the wheel is moving, my inputs are twice as sensitive, which is obviously no good.

6. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    The in-game wheel is not an accurate depiction of actual steering inputs or car behavior, it's for looks only.

• Like Like x 1
  7. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    thank you! thats bizarre, i wonder why its not adjusting itself automatically.

8. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    It seems that's a difficult thing to do, I've seen people having similar problems in other sims. I spent so many years racing in Gran Turismo where your wheel was forced on and only turned 90 degrees that I'm a bit oblivious to these issues.

9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I prefer to have virtual wheel on, but I want synchronicity between real and virtual wheel (not using any home desktop cockpit or multiscreen setup here). Raceroom is currently not doing a good job in this, not even explains what option does what, there are at least three rotation-related options in two different menus.

This is one of the opportunities where Raceroom must accept to learn the lesson from AC. There you set your hardware wheel rotation angle just once (900, 1080 or whatever your wheel does, in the general hardware setup menu), and maybe you also want to go into the ini-file and activate softlock (motor kicks your hardware wheel back when you reach the chosen car's wheel limit of lets say 135° or 180°off centre), and the sim then automatically synchronises virtual and hardware wheel.

That's the proper way how to do it, Raceroom team, and not any different. In the pitboxes there just is to be one single setting that allows to limit or increase the chosen car's wheel rotation, like they do with some series in real world, for example to be able to better negotiate one excessive hairpin there may be.