Exploit Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PRC_James, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Same here. Back in my Gran Turismo days I always hosted races with "tuning prohibited" so everyone had the same setup which meant driver skill was more important. It also meant people were spending their time out on the track and actually learning the car instead of spending most of their time in a tuning menu. It made for hassle-free racing and the competition was usually pretty close (of course there were still a few guys that were always faster, but that will always happen).

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    i agree you're faster on a comfortable setup, but given enough time, you can become comfortable with any setup, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    maybe having the option to disable setups wouldn't be the best, because amateur settings do that already. maybe there should be an option to disable traction control and ABS in amateur mode. i would try that every once in a while, but it really doesn't matter cause i rarely see a populated server on amateur(other then the free content servers).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    I have to say that I drive with standard setup all the time, only some little improvements for each track. Only in the big competitions I build a good setup. I put a lot of time in that and I don't want to share it for all because of that.
    The most important thing is your driving skill, then try to build a setup.
    And the best way is to build your own setup step by step. You gain the best experience like that.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Flamedphoenix

Flamedphoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    yea thats right and theres a point that a comfortable setup mostly isnt the fastest one ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    And vice versa, the fastest setup not having to be the most uncomfortable one. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    whoa, i'm getting dizzy :confused:

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    one or the other i dont mind. it really has the same effect. since we already have the functionality perhaps we could give it a new name like "Pro" or something to distinguish it from get real and amateur.

9. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I just tested James' suggested setup with FR2 in Indy and couldn't match the time with default setup (was about 0.8 sec slower). This was not definitive, just a quick run, but both times could be clearly improved. I had AI on the track and I was definitely slower on infield as I didn't have the downforce there. On straights, AI cars were like moving chicanes as expected.

However, I'm slightly worried that the car was still very drivable with these settings. You should think that it would be awful with that setup, but no. There was still good amount of grip and I could compete with many AI drivers on lap times (I wasn't slowest with AI at 106%).

10. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    After a short test at Spa I think that it feels a bit like the old physics before the big update: No understeering and a lifely but controllable rear. I did a low 2.19 with the GT3 Ruf which is a bit faster than my regular performance in training mode.
    IRL rear tire temps and wear should get really high with such a setup

11. PRC_James

PRC_James New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see this topic is being discussed in a very constructive manner.

I think I am able to extract good performances out of this "exploit setup" because my primary sim racing back ground is NASCAR and Monster Trucks, two vehicles designed to be driven sideways. Coming from American Stock Cars (especially on iRacing's Old Tire Model), an unstable rear end is something I've learned how to deal with rather than dial out by changing the setup like most will.

What I'm saying is, for my driving style, it's not a deathtrap at all. It's quite comfy. And fast.

I have also heard that it is normal for GT3 teams in real life to run a very low rear wing setting (angle of attack) - so there may be no issue at all (for these cars at least). When myself and a few buddies were active on the RSR Leaderboards for Assetto Corsa, we could routinely get away with 2 or 3 clicks of rear wing (min 1, max 20) and we asked our Kunos beta informant if this was realistic. Apparently, it is.

The worrying aspect is that I'm able to take this setup across pretty much every car in the game, from the FR2, to DTM 2015, and it is still universally fast with roughly the same handling characteristics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    This exploit setup issue is pretty damning in my opinion, the fact that S3 has said nothing about it being rectified defies logic, Im disappointed with S3 & Raceroom AG as they don't seem to bothered about the exploit, or rectifying it. If it was my decision I would be announcing an apology and informing the community that it was under priority 1 investigation, and would be rectified asap, but nothing, unless I missed it.

I refuse to acknowledge RRE as a sim from today on, it's a Simcade, a racing emulator as far as I'm concerned, but I don't consider any race game a true race simulator, because none truly simulate the behavior of a race car.

Looks like I will be putting more hours into AC & rF2 in 2016, at least their honest about game issues, are heaps cheaper to purchase, and have bulk more content that's superior across the board, their also modifiable and have heaps more online activity.

Personally I doubt RRE will ever match it's competitors, not while Raceroom AG puts itself and it's profits before the community that keeps it going. Shame really, RRE could of offered so much more to the masses.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well......
    Maybe, just maybe, they're checking to see if there's a problem in the first place?
    Looking through the thread, there are plenty of people who don't consider it an exploit set-up in the first place.

So, there are no true race-sims anywhere and R3E isn't a race-sim either.....
    Explain the logic underlying that conclusion,pray. :confused:

Right, because as we all know, Kunos and ISI are non-profit organizations whose sole purpose is to advance the sim-racing culture.
    They're certainly not in it to make money,that would be unethical.
    Let's try to keep our comparisons within the realm of reality, shall we?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    This is called default setup in Pcars. You can make it mandatory.

15. Andre Rajkovic

Andre Rajkovic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    This is one massive problem in R3E, wing 1/1 always wins :/ Totally screwed, you can just drop the wing settings in R3E, would make no difference. At least all drivers will be on one level again, because anybody knowing SOMETHING about cars would never put a 1/1 on a GT3

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If a low wing setup was undrivable they wouldn't have it as a setting irl, surely wing setting 1 is the lowest drivable setting available and you tailor your setup up to your preferred style of driving, it is also true that the human brain can adapt very well to all conditions but a perfect setup will always be faster and that is gained by putting the work in. As for it being unfair that some people have supported the game for longer so they have an advantage, tough titties, that just doesn't stand up, I've been here from the very beginning and hang around the midfield, if you're fast you're fast, some people are natural, some can learn to be quick, most are just average with the occasional good day!
    Slow in, fast out is the best rule of thumb my Granny always told me!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I tried the 1/1 setup when you first posted it on PRC ( or shortly thereafter, can't remember ) and I couldn't for the life of me get a DTM 2015 around the track with such a setup. Mind even with a decent rear wing it can be a bit tricky after a few brews. :)

If it comes down to you being comfortable in such a setup, and if the game overly favors it I couldn't tell though, only that it's not a magical I win button.

18. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Setups in general need work in this game. I too had noticed that there is little penalty to running very low wing configurations and whilst i don't think it is the golden ticket to fast lap times i am disappointed that at the moment the car setup page has little to do with provoking a realistic response from the car.

I will reserve judgement on it for now though, as many critical setup options are missing and should be added soon, like brake and radiator ducting, rev limiter, tyre pressures, fuel levels, castor to name just a few. Maybe when the devs revisit things to add these options they will make over the physics linked to the wing levels to bring things more in line with reality.

At present the setup screen feels like it has been carried over from a time when the game was targeted at a different audience in its infancy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I'd say that if one has enough time and wants to drive a car with a gltichy setup, sooner or later will definitely learn how to handle it: it's just a matter of time and re-calibrating on a new driving style.
    Imo an exploit like this is just plain bad in terms of realism and gameplay. I hope it'll be addressed as quick as possible by the devs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    They know it's a problem. In fact the devs are the ones who implement the setups in the game, if I'm not mistaken. You can't for one second believe they don't know the setups are the same.
    So you don't feel that being able to run 90% of RRE cars with the same setup a problem....go figure.
    Are you for real? No dev can honestly claim to have built a true race SIMULATOR.
    Fact, no dev can nail the tyre physics to behave like a REAL tyre, no dev has or will ever create Gforce, no dev has or will ever replicate the behavior of a real race car.

What a ridiculous reply, If Raceroom Ag had the community in mind then why are they the only dev NOT to release any non profit addons. Both AC & rF2 have released plenty of non-profit content, has Raceroom?