The only real King flies again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    There is and always has been just one.

Knowing the series since its beginning on Amiga, having done all the dance (old flyers knows what it means) since RP3 times on. DCS is nice for VFR, but sterile in world and atmosphere, has no radar and EW. Where the falcons fly, DCS never has reached out for that high.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    My father would love this, he was once an F-16 pilot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Some of the best and m ost intense gaming and simming experiences in my life are related to Falcon 4.0 . It has a very special place in my heart. The 2.5 cm-thick original print manual and some of the as thick later RP-manuals still reside on my book shelves. And I have no intention to change that! And the campaign - second to none. Simply second to none.

Falcon 4.0, and Steal Beasts Pro - that are the arterial and venous halves of my combat simulation biography's circulatory system. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. taxfree

taxfree Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Complain to Steam so that they may set up some pressure from their side. I expect this to be solved sooner or later.

What they say in the Steam forum, is true: once you have it running, update to BMS 4.33. The difference is 19 years - and you will easily notice that. Also, if Steam offers the original default version of F4 from 1997, you will find it to be awfully buggy.

Don't get me wrong, F4 rocks. But it started to do so not before severla years had passed back then and severlas serious mods were released - with hundred sof pages of documentation. :) eFalcon, Realism Patch series, BMS... Echoes from a logn forgotten past...

Hang on to it. Not many sims out there are worth it that much like this one. Its truly unique.

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Taxfree, have you noted this customer feedback at steam forums?

Personally I even have doubts that just the original would run on contemporary machines at all, different tech and different OS and all that. You seem to need BMS, and BMS needs Facon 4, is no standalone. That might be the reason why F4 got released this way, It is "tied" to BMS.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. taxfree

taxfree Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I read that but after the purchase. :D
    I just bought it to try Falcon 4.0 original version again with Voodoo emulator for my nostalgia in 90's. :rolleyes:
    Indeed, I'll try BMS 4.33 someday.
    Thanks for the info.