steering lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XXVI Sol, Mar 6, 2016.

1. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    hi yall,R3E default steering lock,for older physics model, is the highest i've seen in a sim which makes the handling a bit jerky and the car front nervous,wheel input required is too little for me.This was probably the first thing i changed back when i started this game.Latest physics cars feel just great
    these are the values I use :540 degrees-steering lock 19or20
    720 - 23or24
    900 - 26or27
    I use a little more camber and toe to compensate for less lock
    what are your preferances??

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I still don't know what steering lock is and what it does :oops:

3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's more understansable, if you add the word angle. Look this, quick search.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I see, thanks. I really had no idea, I was thinking of the steering wheel only and not in the car wheels angle in deed. Thanks a lot.

5. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome. It took me very long as well, till I got it:confused:

6. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    The basic calculation for steering lock is as follows:

(steering wheel rotation/2)/steering ratio = steering lock

For example, for GT cars I prefer 540 degrees of steering wheel rotation and a steering ratio of 12:1, so my steering lock will be:

(540/2)/12=22,5

This is not available in-game, so I set it to 23, resulting in an 11.7:1 steering ratio. This means that for every 11.7 degree turn of the steering wheel the front wheels turn 1 degree. Or, for every 270 degree turn of the steering wheel the front wheels turn 23 degrees.

Let's say I want the steering response a bit slower, less snappy, I just set the steering ratio a bit higher, 15:1 or so. My steering lock will then be:

(540/2)/15=18

Hope this helps :)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I figured it out the hard way when I couldn't make the turn at Macau and created a big parking lot.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Miguel Vallejo

Miguel Vallejo Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Very instructive. All of this seems me quite confusing

9. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The wider the range of rotation , more precise handling ,less temperature and tire wear,as long as you can get into the tightest curve

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    To me it's the best, a clever dev thinks about it, types in the right code and the sim knows, what to apply for each car according to my wheel. I swear, I didn't shed a thought about it, since my wheelbase is supported.
    Thank you!:D
    Btw, that's what I pay for.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  11. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I prefer the default angle for each car in this sim. I only wish it wouldn't change the driver settings of my T500. I often forget to change the settings back to my prefered settings for Dirt Rally and Race 07.

12. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

I personnaly like that it change the driver settings (Fanatec CSW V2) because this allow a better lock than some in-game soft lock (try the one on AC, it will cut you're wrist !).
    "hard-lock" is better than Soft-lock :)

But I don't get why sometimes it forget to set the default value on the game exit.
    I didn't look deeply on this issue, but sometimes it make me think it can be related to the fact that I power off the wheel before I exit the game.

13. _Stu_

_Stu_ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    it might sound weird to anyone that knows what they are doing, but I use a T500rs and I have 360 rotation with 25 steering lock.
    It just seems to feel right to me but then again I'm a really lazy driver :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. DrDetroit

DrDetroit Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What exactly is "hard lock" vs "soft lock"?
    BTW: excellent thread - very helpful.

Good day,
    DrDetroit

• Like Like x 1
  15. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    We are currently testing 540/13 for GT3 cars (was 600/15)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Hard lock is when the wheel lock the maximum range angle. It's like when you set the wheel range through the driver or the wheel itself (Fanatec)

Soft lock it's when the game lock the max angle by sending some high ffb effect to lock the wheel. In Asseto you have pretty bad soft lock, the wheel bounce very hard when you rotate it at the max angle.

Tonight I just checked and it seems that if you close the game before stopping your wheel r3e revert it back to default setup.
    It's when you power off the wheel before closing the game that the wheel range settings doesn't revert to default

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    You're almost spot on what I use :D

18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think this only applies to certain wheels that have physical components in the wheel to actually "hard lock" it.

I've always assumed with my logitech G27, that a hard lock only occurs at 900 degrees... when the wheel physically cannot turn any more because it was not designed to allow any more rotation. Whereas a soft lock is as you described... although the logitech drivers have the same affect as any game does... where it will "soft lock" the wheel at any rotation you set.

The difference between the two (hard lock vs soft lock) is that if the wheel is soft locked... you can physically move your wheel past the lock. Whereas when it is hard locked, you cannot move it past that point.

Soft lock in Assetto Corsa is implemented extremely poorly which is why you have to delve into an .ini file to manually enable it. It's completely broken on the G27, so I would say AC doesnt support soft lock at all. You have to manually set the degrees of rotation in your wheel software if you want it to lock at a given setting.

That is true, but some of us still are still stuck using values that feel better... like 540/18 (which i widdled down from 540/23).

By and large, this is mostly a setting of preference... where the only thing that matters, is being able to turn your wheel completely, and being able to take the sharpest turn on a given track. Such as the hairpins at Hockenheim or Macau. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, that's a 20.77:1 steering ratio...This means you're giving the GT3 race cars slower steering than their road-going counterparts, which -depending on make and model- typically have steering ratios between 14:1 and 18:1, if I'm not mistaken.

Aren't race cars supposed to have faster steering than road cars?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I might be wrong but I understand it as a race car have the same steering speed or slightly slower but with only 2/3 or maybe half of max wheel rotation (~650°) compared to a road going car (~1100°)
    Everyone knows that a race cars "Turn circle" is really really bad (lower max rotation but about same ratio multiplier) and with a higher multiplier the steering wheel would be nearly impossible to hold when going over curbs or pot holes and would scrape the inside of the wheel arches (inside of the front fenders)
    I just started to use 656°:16 ratio and I think something between ~15-20 in ratio multiplier would be okay depending on track layout. Just haven't decided yet what is best for me on each track :confused:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018