Tire temperatures?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rad, Apr 5, 2016.

1. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Hi.

What happened to temperatures of tires in newer cars (i've checked GTR3, DTM 2015, Audi TT)? I've noticed they stay on 95*C with little changes (up to 2 degrees after few minutes). Is this intended? If it is, that's weird decision.

It seems to be fine in older cars like DTM 2013. Checked using DashMeterPro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    It's relative to new physics. In new, tyre temp it's more a core temp, not so much a surface temp.
    WTCC2013.png WTCC2015.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Can you explain this in detail? Why is this not shown in the DashMeterPro? Are there now different tire temperatures?
    @Vojvoda: the pictures don`t work for me.

4. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Live For Speed still has the most complete tire "app" of any sim.

[​IMG]

Jump to 1 minute:

Jump to 4 minutes

- Tire Load on three sections of each tire = outer / center / inner portions ( three gray bars on top of each tyre)

- Surface tire temperatures separated from Core tire temperature (indicated by color + number on surface temperatures, and color only on core temp. Blue = cold Red = hot)

- Surface tire temperature divided in three sections = outer / center / inner portions

- sidewall temperature indicated by color

- Tire wear is indicated by the thickness of the outer tire sections.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Pictures solved.

@Karsten Borchers Maybe could answer your question.

6. Frankymoe

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    @Vojvoda thank you for your replay. It would be very nice if somebody could explain how the new tyre temp works.

7. Frankymoe

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone information?

8. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Karsten Borchers

Karsten Borchers KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    It is like Vojvoda already said. Its a core temp, not a surface temp. Was to avoid tires constantly dropping in/out of the grip window. Keeping it all a bit more calm and under 'control'.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Ok, but how does it affect grip? Is it pretty much always the same (excluding wear)? Temperature of tires affecting grip levels is one of most basic features in pretty much every sim for years already. And you are using ISIMotor which is also capable of simulating it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    What's the use of monitoring tyre temperatures when we have no ability to control them? Excuse the rhetorical question there but we know that the biggest determining factor of tyre wear/grip is tyre pressure and until we can adjust these, all we can do is monitor. Tyre pressures are the real elephant in the Raceroom imo (couldn't resist that one) ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Just some more info on tyre temps and why core temps are actually the ones to look at:

(https://www.formulastudent.de/academy/pats-corner/advice-details/article/tyres/1/)

(http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comunidad/fluke-news-plus/articlecategories/automotive/racetracktemp)

http://www.valortpms.com/whyinternalsensor.php
    http://www.exergen.com/industrial/irtc/technotes/technote_088.html

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    we can control the tire temps during racing, braking and cornering can be done more gentle wehn they get too hot. I'm not sure if you get the tire temps information while you're racing in real life, so when not I wouldn't want to monitor them either.
    But yeah, in "Get Real" we should have the ability to change tire pressure. I don't know exactly what isimotor is capable of but I think it's much more than used at the moment.

14. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    How long does it take tyres to warm up from cold to optimum temperatures usually? A few laps?

15. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Cool, I may install that and check it out - I might get curious looks from the wife, though, when she wonders why I'm talking to the computer :rolleyes:

BTW does it have much of an impact on system performance? I "only" have a laptop GPU, though it is a decent i7 quad core one (check out my sig).

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to talk to Jim, just makes him seem more like a real person if you do. :p
    It shouldn't have a big impact on performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. How does Crew Chief work when also using Team Speak in multiplayer? How can your computer distinguish between the two different voice inputs?

19. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

You need to set an input (key/button binding) in Crewchief to talk too Jim ;)

Otherwise you can use apps like dashmeterpro (android smartphone/tablette) ou Proracing dashboard by @Stefan Mizzi (see the workshop board here) to display the tire temperatures

20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Plus he will only react to certain sentences which I doubt your going to say to your ts contacts. ;)
    Guess a setup like crewchief always listening and push2talk for ts would work pretty well. That way your fellow ts'ers don't get irritated by hearing you talking to crewchief.

• Informative Informative x 1