Should developer focus be AI or larger grids?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skidmark, Apr 18, 2016.

?

Assuming a trade-off between AI and large grids, which of the following would you prefer?

1. Focus on large grids at expense of AI

2. Emphasise large grids but don't ignore AI

3. Allocate equal resources to both

4. Emphasise AI but don't ignore large grids

5. Focus on AI at expense of large grids

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As I said, the warping isn't sth considered a failure at the client system. Yes, it's connected to bigger grids, but afaik they were working on a (supposed) fix.

2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Not sure I get the discussion/point of the poll.

Isn't larger grids primarily an AI topic?
    Or is the AI programmer is the same doing network coding?
    For me larger grid looks like a stepping stone to multiclass. Need robust way with "dense" situations at mixed speeds.

We already saw couple AI threads and statements about issues being investigated.
    AI always saw love in patches, given it's a really hard topic, sometimes changes back-fired a bit, but was never second class imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    This. Bigger grids and improved AI go hand-in-hand. Want proper multi-class racing? Then both things have to work.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    82% wanting more emphasis on the AI is pretty significant!

• Like Like x 1
  5. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    ...and 61.5% of respondents want at least some emphasis on bigger grids.

Stats are a wonderful thing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    The problem with a poll is only the people with a beef will vote, I don't give a monkey's about the AI (Unless adopted in MP) other than it attracts more people to buy the sim, more coffers for Devs and more goodies for me to play with.
    I'd rather the entry lag and overall connection issues were sorted over anything else but that was not a poll option, so I went hey fiddle, diddle, straight down the middle, sat on the fence, arms crossed and sulking, bloody entry lag has cost me too many grid positions, if we do have to continue to dodge invisible cars could we please be able to zoom in on mini map as useless for the job currently!

7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This, i seem to get a second pause everytime just lately, as long as i dont move or change anything in that pause its fine but adds that pause time on to my laptime, so 3 people join on 1 lap, i pause 3 times it adds 3 seconds to my lap time!

8. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Screw the Ai, I only race online, not interested in racing against coded predictability, that drops away as soon as you make the pass. Besides they don't race Ai in real motorsport, and I want to get as close to the real thing as possible, that's why I race online against other human beings.

TBH I would rather they put all resources on things like a Blue & yellow online flag system or adjustable tyre pressures, or maybe different tyre compounds. But I guarantee the focus is on the BMW M6 GT3, content rules the road here @ raceroom.

9. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The fact is most people play racing games/sims offline. Look at the player numbers of R3E (or any of its competitors) and compare against how many people are active in the lobbies. The numbers don't lie.

Having good quality AI is incredibly important for a game like R3E that aims to deliver realistic motorsport experiences from a range of real world series and classes.

Besides, try getting a full 24 car DTM race online on a weekday afternoon!

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Exactly this. As much as I play multiplayer, the vast majority of racing game players across all games and platforms tend to play offline in single player. The only real exception is iRacing where multiplayer is all but forced which takes quite a lot of time and investment to get 'off the ground' in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. harryturtle

harryturtle Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Why is the online-part so empty? Cause the multiplayer needs more love.

Focus here pls for some features:

Proper-chat, flag-system, kick-voting, race-spectating, solving lagg-probs, bigger grids, map-voting after race, rank-system, addable AI, ......

We need all good old gtr/race07/gt legends features and bit more ;D

The online experience is how it is now......... :-//

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'm with harryturtle on this one, way forward is online racing, let's face it, in the future motor racing will comprise of silent electric vehicles going round and round in circles but authentic classic racing will be moved to sims, won't be that long before the top Sim racers will be getting similar product deals to the real world drivers of today!

Upwards and online!

13. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't think anyone here would disagree with that! :)

Bigger grids are not the main improvement online racing needs, though...

14. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    no point in having large group of dumb ai, ai more important :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Riverside

Riverside Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Challenges to multiplayer racing go far beyond missing features; it requires you to synchronize your schedule with a number of people, work vs. play time, different time zones and racing preferences, let alone the fact that, under R3E's sales model, people usually don't have all the same cars and tracks, unless they spent a lot of money...

AI allows you to start whenever you can, race against different grid sizes and difficulty levels; train progressively, etc. Don't have anything against investing in larger grids, but AI is more important and vastly more used that large grids; evidence is there...

Sorry, gotta go, mi girl is calling... :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    This is something that makes me pretty much solo player and why I want as good AI as possible. My time is limited and because of that, I want to race those cars and tracks immediately and as long or short as I like and then continue with something else. Some multiplayer racing I've tested on public servers have been far worse than any of my races against some decent AI because of wreckers. This is not aimed at R3E, just my general observation. And I know that pub races can be also good, but it still is far from certain and it only requires one clown out there that can spoil your race immediately. AI can do stupid things also, but at least it is easy to quit or restart the sprint race if necessary.

Then, If you'd want to be sure that competition is clean, you'd need to join a league, something I have no interest to do because of the aforementioned reason how I spend my free time. Good AI just fits my purposes better than multiplayer.