Learning to drive or i don't even know the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KyleGas, Apr 27, 2016.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Crew Chief will also give you some advice. But "try f*cking harder" might not be the kind of advice you need right now :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    You can add me as a friend and we can do some practice sessions if you like. Though I'm in simracing for a couple of years, I'm not the fastest guy on track, but we can do some practice and perhaps it helps you. I'm living in Germany too, so time shift shouldn't be a problem...

Would be helpful, if you could add your hardware to the signature (PC specs, wheel, single/triple screen....).

Short note in German:
    Wir können gerne ein paar Runden drehen und schauen, ob es Dich nach vorne bringt... wie gesagt, ich bin nicht der schnellste, aber für eine solide Basis für Dich sollte es vielleicht reichen. Wir können dann gerne auch über TS schnacken...

• Like Like x 2
  4. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ich nehm das angebot gerne an. Wo als Freund adden? Ich kann die Signatur erst in 2 tagen ändern.... intel i5 6600k, 16gig ram, radeon saphire r9 200 in alle kürze und ein t150 thrustmaster. Sorry for german @everyone else :)

5. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Unlike @Christian Göpfert said i wouldn't recommend WTCCs as first car. They really punish too hard and too late breaking and can be frustrating, especially when you don't know track. Audi TT, NSU TTS, probably BMW 235i which should arrive in 6 months, not sure about Formula Junior, because it can be punishing.

6. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I said that first lol.... and Yeh for me it was a massive help! Cool guy too!

7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The silhouette class is often overlooked when discussing good starter cars.

Reasonably fast but not too quick, easy to handle below the limit, rear-wheel drive but quite planted.

Great cars to start with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    They only seem to like Reiza releases, though of late have grudgingly seemed to recognise that Raceroom is actually a good sim

e.g.

"Personal opinions pushed off to the side, the IMSA GTO pack is definitely a great example of Sector 3’s new development ideology, which is to simply build quality sim racing content and hope people come check it out. "

https://pretendracecars.net/2016/04/22/the-imsa-gto-pack/

Considering how snarky PRC usually are, that's actually massive praise for them!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Especially the R51 (I think), avoid the turbo cars as a learner, though

10. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    This is a great video to watch to understand the basics of driving a car fast. It's older than dirt and full of hilarious hair-do's but it's pretty much as accurate today as it was back then.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Audi TT is a very good learning car before you jump to RWD. WTCC cars not so much.

As others already said, stick to one car and drive thousands of laps with it. After some time you will get confidence, but the beginnings can be tough, so don't give up! Also don't try to chase the fastest guys, pick a ghost few seconds ahead of you and practice with it. However, before you get familiar with the car and track, do just solo laps and focus on basic driving techniques.

PS: If you are serious about your new hobby, you can check out this great book!
    http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262

12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    2 things i wished i worked on sooner were accelerator and brake pedal management. Being decent at those is the difference between being hopeless and being able to run a decent lap (i don't know anything about being really good).

Brake hard early and let off gradually to avoid skidding/locking up wheels - this will let you brake at right time to avoid people ramming into back of you because you are braking too early.
    And then giving just the right amount of gas to avoid spinning, keep the car on course and accelerate through the turns. Try not to ever coast.

Good Luck i thought i was hopeless but now i realize there's hope to at least keep up with the pack! (i've even won a few races)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    While I have to agree that they aren't plain simple rides I would still argue that they are more newcomer friendly than G5 or GTO f.e., especially if you're trying to get familiar with a track layout.

14. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I used to take a WTCC to learn a track that was just released, untill I got the Skyline and more recently the TTS. Great cars.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Well i got the TT and the NSU and they both seem quite cool to start out with and i WILL give those sillhouette cars a try...

16. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hi, i'm troy Maclure, you may remember me from such driver’s ed films as “Alice’s Adventures through the Windshield Glass” and “The Decapitation of Larry Leadfoot”. ^^

i'll watch it though, thanks

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    You sir, just won the Internetz for the day! I use that quote whenever I get the chance! :D

Seriously though, it's a good film and the Going Faster series is generally considered the "go-to" for learning how to drive competitively. Just try not to laugh too hard at the questionable fashion choices and antiquated technologies (those computers tho.......o_O)

18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW the TT is FWD, the NSU, Silhouettes and Formula Jr. are RWD. I want to race GT3 class (RWD) so have mostly been trying with the Silhouettes and more recently Formula Jr.

19. KyleGas

KyleGas Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I was born winning. *insertcharliesheen* Anyway i'm like 15 minutes into the video and i have already had several zen-like revelations....great stuff!

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Excellent, glad it's helpful! Pay special attention when they're talking about exit speed, it's one of the most important aspects of racing and they really do a great job of illustrating why it's so important.