Released Group 5 Class update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    What we looking at, Spa 1980?
    You also spotted that tiny bit where it says "weather: rain"?

And now have a look here: http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/results?filter_season_id=5&filter_meeting_id=52&filter_race_id=
    Quali was dry, race was wet at start, then drying.
    Why? You make it sound like they were running on wooden tyres back in the 80's. They were using 4 big blocks of rubber, just like they do nowadays.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Especially in Blancpain, where there's a control tyre that most competitors say is far away from the best modern GT tyres (found on even less powerful GTE cars).

3. django18

django18 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sure, both are using 4 blocks of rubber, but I would assume that there's a rather big difference between a 40 years old tyre and a modern racing slick.

Again, it's just my opinion, mainly based on feelings, but talking eau rouge or schwedenkreuz almost full throttle in a G5 car just seems weird to me.

Edit: oops edit fail, it's getting late;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Got the chance to try out the changes today and these have really come into a neat space now, at least to me. The BMW, Zakspeed, and 2 Nissans really form the 'quick but stable' part of the group while the Fabcar, Greenwood Corvette, and Dakon Monza form the 'quicker but tricky' part.

Makes for a fun, well-rounded group of cars that have massively different strengths and weaknesses. I love sitauations like these cars create where one car might be significantly faster down the straight but others are much faster in the corners. It makes you alter your defending style as well as your attacking style and can create some epic moments!

I still love that Greenwood Corvette most of all though. I don't care that it's silly and unwieldy I just can't get enough of that monstrous roar when you plant your right foot hard down. And now it actually goes fast enough in a straight line to justify all the noise it makes :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    WooW! S3S you realy nailed it with the Nissan Silvia, test driving it to day after all cahnges brought tears to my eyes it is perfect. This is how I remember driving the Nissan silvia the sound, handling you got it spot on, oh I miss that car, but now I can drive it again in simulation as close to real life as it can get :D Thank you for all your hard work you are awesome <3 :D
    Yet to try the other cars but after that Silvia test drive I can't imagine anything else but a true andrenaline rush :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  6. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I agree used to be my favourite and obviously we are minority in opinion but loved sounds and scariness ? Lol of these cars before update, maybe just need to tweak settings but for me excitement has gone , will still drive but a shame for me, and plus for everyone else i guess ( please dont flame just loved these cars before update more than now)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    They had wet race, but nothing is said about qualifying. But remember that Spa was slightly different back then - Bus Stop chicane was different (well it's not bus stop anymore, but people still call it that way).

I'm looking at leaderboards and most of times are significantly slower, than they were in real life - but right now there are not too much entries there.

8. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    If you don't find the Group 5 cars tricky enough now after the changes made to them, you are not driving them fast enough ;) :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Must be reason lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alice Margatroid

Alice Margatroid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    if you want a good way to see how hard the group 5 or gto cars are, (or any fast racecar) drive it on macau, it will bite you in the rear end any second.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Never said about been hard to drive or not just said imo some of excitement has gone from this class again in my opinion nothing to do with hard or easy ! lol

12. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Well normaly I say it is the racecars that usualy bite you in the rear end if you don't pay atention to what you're doing and never the track, with one exeption up untill todays date I have yet seen or found any track exept the Nord (green hell) that bite you in the rear end if you dont pay atention. Tracks like Macau and Monaco is just exiting and fun to drive for they are tricky yes they are but hard, no not one bit. ;) IMO

EDIT:
    This is unforgiving... at least in this speed but hard no, just tricky and a real adrenaline rush :p

13. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Woooooowowo
    Did you drive the Silvia for real?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Agree,too many death videos around as it is.:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Just to add to tyre debate, in the good old days tyres were designed to give the optimum grip with the technology available but today the series can decide how long the tyres should last and specify the grip level so although tyre tech has moved on in leaps and bounds it doesn't necessarily mean times will be quicker. There is also completely different demands on tyres from different times, today's modern cars with ABS, TC etc can have a totally different tyre make up to back in the day where they just put a huge block of sticky rubber on a solid carcass and let fly!

16. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Re lap times, in 1981 Manfred Winckelhock's pole time at the Nords (older 22.8 km version, so 2 kms more than nowadays) for World Makes Championship race was 7.18,49 with Zakspeed Capri.

Obviously too fast!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Yes but sadly just for a short test drive only, on a exhibition but still it was epic and like ages ago last century actually OMG it's a long time since that happen ha ha ha.. But anyways I fell in love with the car so finally I got a production version of it, my silvia looked like the production version on first glance but it was not. I had a lot stronger race tuned engine I remember what most noticed in the enginroom was the 3" air intake tubing to the engine from the turbo and I had it weight reduction so no interior or luxuary but final weight on it was just above 1000kg on full tank 40L (changed to a 45L tank + 10Lreseve later). Racing setup in wheelhouses so it was severly lower to, free space undercarage on lowest frame point was just around 14-15cm and it moved when you flored the throtle and behavior is almost ideticle to what you done with the Silvia in the game and it bring back some awesome flashbacks.
    But I also realized now many decennium later driving it in R3E, I should never have sold it... :oops::(
    Edit: I forgot I had that high rear wing they put on later to the '82 race version, (looked cool back then) but that did help a lot in higher speeds :D

• Like Like x 8
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Which I would contest. There is definitely a difference, not arguing this. But back then they were also using big racing slicks and it's not like since then a dramatically better performing base material has been introduced, it's still rubber vs asphalt concrete. Again, I'm not neglecting new developments in the field of tyre compounds, but none of what I read on tyre-surface interaction and CF values of tyres makes me believe that it makes a fundamental difference. If it were possible to slap a racing slick with 80's specs on a modern GT3 car, I wouln't expect an overwhelming difference in laptimes.

Also because the tyre is only one of the two aspects here, don't neglect the asphalt. Over the years almost all tracks have been repaved with new asphalt concrete compounds several times and that always brought dramatic improvements in laptimes.
    That's another problem here, the game simulates modern asphalt specs and a more or less perfect condition, which makes it really hard to compare the in-game times with the times driven back then.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Wacha

Wacha New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the "issue" some of us see is not related to the tyre grip, though of course that can make a big difference too. The cars feel way better now than before through the wheel and the setup changes make more of an impact. I think what we miss is the turbo kick. I've been running tests on all the turbo cars and even when dropping rear downforce to the minimmum, 15l tank for qualyfiying, and setting the rear springs to the hardest setting possible, it is still possible to floor the throttle and deal with the slight oversteer by countersteering. I only find myself spinning and crashing under acceleration when the kick comes at the same time I hit a bump on the road, and that is when flooring the pedal.

I believe that is what most of us miss. It's not a bad update by any means, it actually improves a lot of areas, but with the old physics you had to be careful on the gas pedal when still on a corner. You had to propperly time when you would step on it because if the turbo kicked in while still dealing with the corner, then you were up for a hard time. That gave the cars character, and made you respect them. I don't think that's unrealistic, as in most videos you can see that they are not driving on the edge and even then they never go flat out until well positioned on the straights. I've never driven any of these cars, but I have driven a Nissan Silvia S14a from a friend several times (300hp). It had a racing suspension and very wide semi-slicks, half the power and turbo boost of these cars, and it would still murder you if you floored the pedal mid corner while on 2nd or 3rd gear.

Anyways, not trying to bash anyone here. I really love R3E. It's just that my favourite cars have lost some of their former character. If there's an update in the future, I would suggest to increase the turbo kick leaving the rest as it is. I think that would be the middle ground from what I can read here and most of us should be happy with it. Overall, great work Sector 3, I look forward to seeing more classic content in the future, the one thing for me that sets R3E apart from the likes of Assetto Corsa and rF2 (though this last one also has some excellent classic content).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    They may have lost some bite,but the main thing for me us the loss of the floaty feeling.So much improved. The sounds are orgasmic as well

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1