Left foot braking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Iron Wolf, Apr 29, 2016.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I've been braking with my right foot for a while, just as I do IRL. But, as usual, setup change came which made me wonder what foot do race drivers use.

I am especially interested in auto clutch cars. From two videos below, looks like at least some drivers use left foot for braking. BTW I was surprised to see clutch pedal use GT3 spec Porsche. What are your thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    In sims i'm use left foot, but irl only right, because irl i'm just drive but not race

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I use left foot braking in cars like the Formula Raceroom 2 cars, or cars with similar gearboxes.

I move my pedals a bit to the right or a bit to the left depending on what i'm driving. Stick > all pedals, flappysequential > Left foot braking

4. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks .OG. That is exactly how I did it before (moved pedals a bit). My current setup doesn't allow it, but once I do permanent setup I'll figure something out.

I am planning on getting CSP. How adjustable are those pedals left/right wise?

5. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    For sequential (paddle or stick) sifted car I only use left food brake.
    For H pattern gearbox I use both. Right foot when need to use the clutch, left foot otherwise.

Sequential gearbox (in race car) are not automatic gearbox,there's a clutch mechanism.
    And there's a clutch pedal for the start.
    Even formula 1 still have a clutch (a paddle behind the wheel) for the start

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I am aware of that, and I use clutch for start too. What I found surprising Porsche guy used clutch during drive as well. Although BTCC video shows clutch intact, which is more what I expected.

7. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I left foot brake for everything that I don't use the clutch pedal for. Personally I find the extra ability to shift between the pedals simultaneously to allow me quicker responses to braking and acceleration input.

Plus my left foot gets bored when I don't need to use the clutch pedal :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I know the feeling :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Konta-Robi

Konta-Robi Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    to be fast only left food !!! brake and throttle become like yin and yang !

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I left foot brake when sim racing (when not using the clutch), as well as in real life during those terrible times when I have to drive a "car" with an automatic transmission.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I race the GT3 cars with my pedals but i blip when shifting down (got autoclutch on).

12. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I prefer realism over getting that extra little iddy bit of time. + It's way more fun to shift with H shifter in an old car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I have to left brake in sims, it's really strange, because like most people in real life I brake with my right, but in sims for some strange reason my right foot wont brake and my left foot wants to naturally.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I also notice a huge time difference between shifting with my sequential shifter or with paddles. Yesterday i had some online fun at Spa. When i stop blip i can brake way later and trail braking is much easier. I gained about 1 second per lap.

15. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Be aware that that is a 911 Cup car, used in the multiple Supercups championships among other) not the "full GT3" car. And an old model to boot - still has a sequential lever, not paddles, when the current gen is I believe a "full-sequential" with paddles.
    There's a whole range of gearbox usage , anything from full manual to full auto-blip/auto-cut and anything in between.

And to add to the poll: I left brake when in sequential cars with auto-blip/auto-clutch, I mostly right brake with manual cars (only left-braking in turns where I don't need to switch gear)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    With paddles I left foot break always, when using H-shifter I use right foot and toe-heel downshift braking then I use left foot after gear down if needed to keep car at level or to help turning going through a turn. So with H-shifter I am using both ;)

17. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    The master Ayrton Senna's Heel-and-toe, this is so educational to watch. :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Im not good enough to heel to toe...yet. I left foot brake.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Here you can see me as Walter Röhrl's feetdouble. But they cut the best part, where I was heel-toeing with my left foot and using clutch with my right one. :eek:
    Nowadays I'm acting much more simple using left at sequential and right at manual gear-box.

• Like Like x 3
  20. nasportscar

nasportscar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    left foot in sims, right irl