Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system in R3E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, May 4, 2016.

?

Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system

1. yes, sign me in !

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No, MP should remain free

137 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I'd pay a one off fee,to be able to play offline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Nice try Jake Fangio, you know as well as I do that you'd have to buy offline racing packs, 100vRP per hour offline :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    iRacing is expensive because you have to buy your content and have an active subscription.

If R3E has a subscription only for added online stuff, BUT keeping the single- and multiplayer and leaderboards as they are now, no problem. Seasoned racers can have a subscription and enjoy online ranked/moderated races.

• Like Like x 1
  4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Honestly: why ?
    It's just about being fair in regard of the service itself.
    Asking 20$/€ per month tor only accessing public server would be a non-sens
    Asking less than 10$/€ a month for a centralized, editor controlled, with official dev working on it , around official content with official events (they have real series licence they can work with !) should be fair, don't you think ?

Yes, but they all are dependent to one thing: the core and the development of the MP part of the game.
    And look at it today: MP is the last thing to benefit of development in the game. In the last year we barely saw improvement in the MP part of R3E: only the last update bring us what ? bigger grids (but still buggy).. yellow and longer chat text.. a fix for the join lag.. and that's all.
    Why ? Because Raceroom AG may have almost zero to none interest in developing the MP part more than being able to have the leader-board and being able to make race events around real race.

My point is that if Raceroom AG don't have [financial] interest in the development of some feature, you may wait for it.. for long. But on the other-side, if they can monetize it and use it to promote themselves, sector3 could have the money to develop it and give everyone better tools for MP.
    At these point, leagues in R3E are still not a futur proof solution, because of the lack of lot and lots of feature required for.

Todays Multiplayer of R3E is far for it's true potential, but I fear that it will not go any further because it's not in the interest of the game editor.

5. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    If they kept the current multiplayer free, and added all the stuff that iracing has on a "premium" package i would.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    yes, but only if I could use this "premium" online equipment in my own community environment to organize events and league racing on my own in a way my members want it and not dependend on what a distant developer, his publisher etc like to do. That's what I have with the non-multiplayer official events today.

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately one of the most criticized aspects of R3E are the costs for it. Adding another option you need to pay for would add fuel to the fire of the critics.

Atleast the dedicated Server-Tool and Spectator-App are missing on the list.
    I'm not sure that money hinders the development of the MP-Part. IMO it looks more lika a problem with the lack of developers who have the time to develop the features.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    For that you just need the dedicated servers, that would be free as well(in my idea of course), the "iracing like" system wouldn't interfere with that, the point of the system is to put people of similar skill racing each other, with rules, penalties, and a championship structure.

9. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    That is another 120€ per year on top of the money we already (happily :) ) spend on content.
    As stated by others before, the options for organized leagues already exist. Maybe you could drag more people onto your side and open their wallets, if you started pointing out what exactly we would get for 120€? Because from the current posts I do not get it. One point was fair racing, will the racing be more fair, if I pay for it?

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Agree, but the actual dedicated server provides you with nearly nothing than the hosting of a certain session ... everything else one needs to setup a solid multiplayer championship is missing - look at the wishes (minimum needs for a solid event/league management) over here. But if i have to pay an additional fee like in iRacing to rent this system on a timed basis, hosted by someone else than within my community, that'd be another no-go for me.

11. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Oh, i see your point now. I agree, you shouldn't have to pay for those things.

• Like Like x 2
  12. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Did you ever race on the R3E public server with free content ?
    If you didn't, trust me, you'll not do it twice :(
    Someone who pay to access a service will be less prone to be a jerk. And if it does it's more easy to "punish" him (suspend the account, etc)

120..ich.. could be less, it's just some example based on the iracing rate for ex (13$/month), could be 5$/month, maybe less, who knows.

What you'll get that 3rd parties can't offer for free?
    - Quality hosted server, with high dispo. that are able to host multiples races with lots of players=> this cost money, and it's not cheap if you want 24/24h service.
    - An hosted front-end portal for the player, integrated to the game (in regard to the very minimalist MP lobby we currently have today)
    - Some kind of moderation during the races with admin that can kick/ban players
    - Integrated events with Real life series: they have the licences for WTCC, ADAC, DTM (and more). It can be used to promote real virtual championship along side the IRL races.
    Iracing does something like that with Nascar series: the nascar iracing champion as the same status as a real nascar champion (he win and can wear the champion ring... like the real drivers !)
    - Game Devs more dedicated to it. Third party are totally dependent of what S3S will and can do.. or not. If R3E do it's own thing they'll have to be dedicated on it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    If you refer to driving the free cars on the free tracks online - no I did not do that. But I did have a lot quality online races using paid content like the GTOs or Group 5 on paid content tracks like Indianapolis or Redbullring.
    From my negative experience in pCars I can imagine what races in the Aquila at Raceroom Raceway probably look like :/

2 questions on the integrated events:
    1) I thought virtual racing series already exist? At least I see a lot of respective youtube videos of such series. Currently there is a TCOne series promoted as well.
    2) Let's assume I pay my 120€ for your online access. So do 1000 other players. How many driver seats are there available in your virtual WTCC series? Probably not more than maybe 30, so what do the remaining 970 players do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I second this. Look here, this was a 30 minutes race, launched on a public set dedicated server from my community and the most reason that people left the race before it ended, was that they may have overlooked we set mandatory pitstops or just didn't setup their pitstop system

But it's another thing if you choose "more popular" content like GT3s on Nords - then there seems to be more "crashkids" and it's not as easy to get some solid racing going on...

But compared to free stuff online the payed content doesn't attract the crashkids that much and then it''s more a matter of skills than bad behavior.

But what R3E really lacks are server side functionality plus software&tools to organize, evaluate and present (Spectator Overlay is a big improvement on this!) your racing events.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @m.bohlken hit the nail on the head. R3E is already perceived as an expensive game, rightly so in my opinion. Any further costs would further damage its reputation. An online fee/subscription would need to be balanced by a reduction in the cost of content so that the overall cost of the product remains the same. As most people play offline (something that I don't see changing even with a better online mode) I just don't see that there's much to gain from all this.

Also agree that a lack of staff is holding back the development of multiplayer, not money. It's holding back the development of game features as a whole.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    It was worth a try ha ha:)

17. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I didn't vote because i'm in the grey area. I probably would pay if it came down to it, but would not be happy about it. Don't turn this into iRacing, i'm fine paying for content piece by piece knowing that there is no monthly fee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Well well ... What can make a staff grow ? Let me guess.. hoh, isn't money ?
    More money invested in the dev => more staff to dev. Because time can't be bought when you put more money to dev. a game the only way to get more work done is to add people.

You can't make the staff grow without the money to pay them, it's as simple as that.[/user]

19. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

1. Well as you can see, TCone is not WTCC. TCOne use the WTCC cars of the game, but it's not a licenced event around WTCC.
    At this time the only virtual series they did was the DTM Winter cup. This is what I think they should push more, and maybe do alongside the real races. But it's something that need people to manage on the time length. If you did it regulary you need people dedicated to it.

2. Of course it's not about doing one single race, think about it. How do iracing for the indy or nascars series ? You really think they put thousand of player in a single race ? It's about racing weeks, like championship, etc ..

20. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Smacks of elitism to me. As for people wanting things for free, hell yes, who dosnt, but its not free or cheap.
    Nope, you have to find the right people to race against, good guys will give you a good race regardless of whether they have paid a sub or not.
    Do you honestly think nobody is making money out of this venture? Im sure there is money in the bank but it is getting the right person to allow the spending in the right places.

• Agree Agree x 4