Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system in R3E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, May 4, 2016.

?

Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system

1. yes, sign me in !

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No, MP should remain free

137 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    having just started iracing, i think their price is too high considering you have to buy content to. if rre were to do it, maybe a one of monthly yearly cost with all content. if the system is of course good.

2. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I would pay it if it is a lifetime subscription like rF2 has, not a monthly subscription

3. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rudi, those are games, and these attract the masses, we dont'aim R3E to be a game, do we ?

Driving real life racecars it's hard ! It needs patience, care and practice going faster respecting your tire's grip on different temperatures, even more if you are sitting on a chair in front on your desk, where speed's sensation it's hard to get for your brain and without a real car seat under your pants. it's not like firing Project cars and do 180mph turns without consequences.

It's obvious that simulations are harder and require more patience, hence they do not attract that massive audience.
    60.000 Iracing ? It's an amazing result, R3E can strip them away , let's say even 15.000 ? That would be amazing !
    You can discount the price, but mantaining a server farm needed to achieve good results and keep such a hardware infrastructure functional and performing it's not cheap, you have in some ways to overcome the costs, that's why a monthly fee is usually applied.
    RF2 is a whole another model based on dedicated servers like R3E, has not a big and demanding infrastucture to mantain . Yearly is applied only because they want more motivated and clean racers.
    But the model is the same as R3E now, technically speaking: it's a completely different multiplayer platform that does not require additional mantaining costs for the devs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    True, that's why I am here and not in the other games ;)
    However - the tyremodel in pCars is way more detailed than in R3E and also the setup is more detailed. Change a damper by one notch and you feel the result. Here in R3E we can drive extreme toes or dampers without really noticeable differences. While most people use it as a game, I would not underestimate the simulation part.

Looking at iRacing, I mainly see US content. Could that be a reason for the user base as well? In pCars there was always whining about missing Nascar, Indycar and oval tracks. iRacing has that stuff. I am sure, if we had these in R3E a lot more than those projected 15k users would pour in.
    Though personally I hope Sector 3 keeps focussing on the more traditional racing series.

5. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Sure, i agree: R3E has still some stuff to do to be a better simulation, I point exactly some of your points, in the thread "what's good about R3E and what's not", in this same session. But it's a hell immersive like anything on the marked, my fingers are crossed R3E could go more on the simulation side.

No, Iracing already had and recently added more European and British tracks.
    It almost covers all the most important tracks in the world, Le Mans it's also confirmed and it's being released in some months i believe.
    Iracing issues though are:
    1- The FFB is aimed to reproduce true forces and with standard market low power wheels it feels horrible and disconnected on the road side. No sense if you ask me..

2 - Even if they state their tire model is always improving and aiming to perfection they are still tweaking it, and some of their cars tires feels way too slippery on normal diriving , and hotter temperatures affect the grip too mutch and sometimes you feel like driving on wet.

Can't complain about anything else though. It's simulation, it's hard to complete a race if you don't know how to race around your tires, their physics are truly amazing.

R3E though, even with it's actual limits, it's more immersive: you feel more in a real car while driving in my opinion.

6. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Console is why the other games have high numbers

7. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree to this point too.

8. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    So that's why I could never enjoy iRacing with my G25??!! :eek:

9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    2 things killed iRacing for me... it seemed to take 3 or 4 seconds for the rear tyres to start gripping again after a significant oversteer slide (made catching slides without losing loads and loads of time impossible), and the way players would drop out of races after qualifying if the strength-of-field was too low for their liking

Not sure how the second one worked - they didn't seem to lose any rating but a few times I ended up sitting on an empty grid after turning myself inside out trying to get a decent qualifying lap in. Most annoying

10. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yup ! That's the point. Also they refuse to apply any sort of amplification to the FFB signal to improve those wheels (our standard market wheels like Thrustmaster, Logitech and even Fanatec -these are pricey though-) to feel better.
    To enjoy Iracing's FFB at the moment you have to buy a Direct Drive wheel that actually can have even 30nm and more power for the OSW versions around, against our 3.5 nm power wheels.
    These dont come exactly cheap, starting from around 1.5K$ for the already assembled commercial versions like the accuforce that provides 13mn power.

I don't agree with their model at all, they should have at least options to support cheaper wheels.

Sorry for the Offtopic everyone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    T@X, just want to point out you mentioned iRacing's online multiplayer format 'working well' for a wide variety of races and categories but in reality it doesn't. As I stated earlier in the thread in B and A class events it is nearly impossible to even get a race going in all but the most popular series for oval and road unless it's the one strength of field race per week.

As someone who likes to jump on and do some of the more interesting series instead of just always GT3 this sort of system makes that less likely a possibility than it already is. In iRacing you basically get GT3, Mazda cup, the Cadillac series, and 2 or 3 others that are popular that 'season'. In oval it's basically just the NASCAR sprint cup, xfinity/nationwide, and trucks. If you absolutely love those series it becomes a great setup because those races are all the time.

If you're someone like me who loves variety and hates doing the same things over and over again it quickly becomes a horrible situations where your only choices for actual racing with more than 4 people, and in iRacing you need 8 for the race to even count ratings-wise, become those series which you don't enjoy.

mr_belowski, in terms of people dropping out and not having any penalties, my assumption would be it was races where less an 8 total people signed up. If there were more than 8 people then they SHOULD have lost rating unless something in that system has changed in the recent past. If the race doesn't 'go official' with 8 or more people then anyone is allowed to leave as the race will not generate any ratings for any of the drivers. As I said though, if there were more than 8 then that is odd as it should give them the full penalty for not participating once the session has started, unless something in their system has changed recently.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I would most definetly support this if........
    1. If netcode and dedicated servers were updated and had all the features Race07 had including a working penalty system.
    2. Official servers that tracked race stats...basically how iracing runs theres
    3. Cheaper than iracing :)

14. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm like you.
    Almost never experienced something like that.
    Maybe at the beginning there were less players and sometimes it happened. There were also some of the cars badly modeled and almost undriveable. Some of the series were dead. It also depends on people's tastes.
    Now, it doesn't happen anymore. After they fixed (almost) all the cars all the series are populated.
    To me at least..
    Never had a problem like that lately.

15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The iRacing model is quite clever in a cynical way: make the experience so expensive that players feel invested and less inclined to walk away.

There's definitely an opportunity for another developer such as Sector3 to tap into the iRacing market, but asking the small sim racing community to pay another monthly fee is probably not the way to go about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    It also makes many users avoid making constructive criticism, which is a horrible thing, considering iRacing is like many other sims a continuous development.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Fanboyism is just a way for some people to validate their purchases and convince themselves they made the right choice. Often the more something costs, the higher the need for validation.

Many iRacing players need to feel the sim is somehow better in order to justify what it costs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    So, I would like to race right now....but there is nothing much that interests me and only a few people.

Hypothetically speaking, if such an iRace portal would exist, I would go there book my desired session for others to see and join me....:rolleyes:

servers.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Fully hosted, policed and organised would be worth paying for but R3E is a long way off being that way. Personally I would and do pay for Iracing and I rate Raceroom above it.

Think the problem would be less people online so we all lose. You maybe better off dropping your club or league a few €$¥£ a month to keep a server up.

So as the game is now, no I would not pay a sub. However it's good enough so if the game changed I would consider it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    fully agree, some sort of "preferred races" list, that everyone can customize/prioritize. Then some client where you say you are open for mp-gaming. The portal checks if N people would be up for that type of race and sends out invites. If people accept, an empty server is reconfigured for this race.
    And the data is there, the game knows what we play, when we play, how fast we are... the always online should be put to good use ;)

• Agree Agree x 3