Sonoma resource hog - ended up costing me way more $$$$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElNino, Mar 5, 2015.

1. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Ok I did a few laps at Sonoma with different car classes and I have a slowdown but it's in turn 1. I only noticed the dip on the first lap, after that it drops 3fps but once turn 1 is cleared it goes back up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for checking it out.I see from your sig you are using 51" monitor - so 1080x1920? I'm guessing my running 1080p x 5760 is what's bogging me down so much. The hill climb also gives me FPS drops big time. i5 4690k, r9 290x, 1080x5760. The thing is, other games do great on high settings like this...and really R3E does too usually, it's just a few tracks in some spots. Oh well, not that big an issue really for me at this point, overall the game runs well, just a curiosity more than anything!

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTE
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Ive noticed the AI has a hard time with turn 7 (hairpin layout) they slow down too much. Also the AI has problems taking turn 6 with the DTM92 Audi. They seem to end up sideways a lot on that turn.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I got a quite similar setting (i5, graphic card and triple resolution) and i bought the hillclimb track when it came out. In the beginning it ran smooth but now i'm struggeling with slow downs as well (also on other tracks like sonoma) o_O. Thing is that i didn't change a thing so it's either new stuff ingame (effects?, better textures?...?) which need more power or R3E doesn't perform well with the current ATI drivers. Would really love to know what it is since Assetto Corsa, RF2 and Project Cars are performing better and look at least as good as R3E.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    The AI issues have been flagged, I noticed some taking the top of turn 2 way too fast :)

6. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My TV is 1980x1080 and yeah you are tripling the width :)
    I can't afford anything else right now but it would be cool if my PC monitor was in the same room as the TV so I could use it as a second display. Right now I just run a 12 feet HDMI from my tower to the Denon AMP which drives the TV.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CirKan

CirKan Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'm playing on a i5-4570 and a GTX 660 and is curious because Assetto Corsa runs smoother than R3E. R3E jerk at times.

DX12 is said to greatly improve performance; perhaps is a good goal for R3E.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered a GeForce GTX 960, can't wait to see the difference with my 750Ti! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Had time to test around a bit today. I tested different settings on Sonoma and found out that it's something in the step from track detail level medium to high. My FPS dropped from 85-110 to unplayable frame rates (down to 16-25 sometimes) with stuttering. Don't know what it is what cause that big impact. Couldn't see that much of a difference though so maybe it's helpful for some guys to know what they could try to change at first :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I will test this later to see if i get the same thing. If this is the issue, then groovy's card might not fix this particular issue...but surely he will be loving it in general...let us know how it goes groovy!

11. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @ElNino I will...and Sonoma will definitely improve at some point :)

12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I tested and confirmed what @Nockitsch is back posted about track level of detail. I used HIGH settings overall, then set Track level of detail to MEDIUM. Played Sonoma, ran smooth as silk 60+fps @ 1080x5760, no stuttering. Then I changed track level of detail to HIGH. Tried Sonoma again with same car and hotlap - Runs smooth until the first corner (or final corner in the track), then becomes unplayable, down to single digit FPS. By the time I hit the dreaded off camber elevated corner I was getting 2-3 FPS maybe tops. With track level of detail on medium with all the same other settings/variables, it runs great.

So...I will keep Track level of detail on medium for now. Big thanks to @Nockitsch is back for discovering this. Maybe this should be posted as a known issue, as it would have saved me alot of time having known this sooner.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @ElNino you are right, I set the track details to medium and lowered the shadows quality.
    Can't wait to get the 960 :)

14. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @ElNino I got my GTX 760 and Sonoma runs awesome! :)
    So much smoother than my 750Ti!

• Like Like x 1
  15. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    did you mean a Gtx 960?

16. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, typo lol. :eek:

17. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Nice card !!
    Still running my 770 for a while. I might get a 980 in the near future, The price has to be right :)

18. bogani

bogani New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how much of a hog the animated flags are? In my opinion they could remove them completely as the animation is so stop motion-like it just looks crap anyway.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The 770 is a good card and I'm not sure the 980 offers a worthwhile price/performance upgrade. Probably best to wait for the next series of cards later in the year. That's what I'm doing anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I agree it's serving me well.
    I'm not in a hurry at all, just eyeing from afar, pondering ect .. :cool:

• Like Like x 1