The Amy Winehouse of Sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Wait...So which of those two images of Amy is the laserscanned one now? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    The first with a tripod, the second with a scanner attached to a drifting Caterham. Ken Block's fault ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Saw a bbc documentary about laser scanning of an oak a while back, never thought for a minute id be mixing an oak tree info with sim racing but a short vid on the oak tree scan, gives a little insight.

4. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    There's three laser scanned Nords I like, but there's only one favourite sim so, why bother?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    My 2cts:
    pCars version is NO different from AC or R3E, apart from a bump here and there that is not present in the other versions (or the other way around), same goes for AC and R3E version.
    Take your time to get the pCars FFB right (granted that it takes a lot of tinkering) and you will agree.
    The difference you feel between the three track versions has more to do with the different ways the cars feel, than anything else.
    There are no different corners, kerbs may vary a bit, but the same goes for the two 'laserscanned' versions.

Another thing that should be taken into account: if you start driving the AC and R3E version of the Ring at e.g. 14.00 hrs, several laps (or hours) later it is still the same time, same track temperature, same weather, same lighting conditions.
    In pCars (even with no timing speed-up) you will see changes, the track can look unfamiliar (if you are not used to it) you feel change in grip due to changing track and ambient temperature, all which imo mimics RL...

The fact that I like R3E version best is mainly triggered by the different FOV approach.
    Eye candy, weather, night/day (I'm a big endurance fan) goes to pCars version.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hotak

hotak New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm *almost* sure that iRacing, AC and R3E laser-scan was outsourced to the same company and so the starting point cloud should be the same

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I sincerely don´t feel that way about AC anymore. I used to, but, after some comments here, I decided to give it a shot and, to be honest, I ´ve had a really great time with AC. The AI has improved a lot, the graphics are astonishing, a solid amount of cars and tracks for download (for free) well, it´s a great sim. Don´t think you were fair in your comparison.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  9. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying that pCars has dynamic track or just dynamic conditions? The conditions I know about, but I must admit I thought it was of the eye candy variety...I never thought it changed the actual track conditions (apart from the obvious rain).

10. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Someone in another thread I think it was commented that the main difference between the different versions of Green Hell was not the track itself but the cars.

Sadly I have to agree....running laps in either AC or iRacing there's a sense of weight and danger. This is completely absent from the RRE version. Using the GT3 Ruf as an example I can lose it very quickly in either AC or IR. But in RRE I never lose it no matter how hard I push.

Corners that in IR or AC need to have a touch on the brakes and a downshift I can take full throttle in RRE.

Something's not right with the handling in RRE....it feels less like 4 contact points and more one point in the middle of the car about which everything else revolves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    pCARS does have dynamic track, including track rubbering and marbles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The physics and driving experience in RR is very good, really: very good. I enjoy them tremedously. Its just that AC excels in physics and has its primary, dominant focus right on the physics, much more than RR or PC. AC should be subtitled not "Your racing simulator", but "your driving physics simulator". They yare more subtle, complex, complete. And that makes the AC cars more difficult to drive.

The comaporison on the RUFs however is a bit unfair, since AC's RUFS are the normal street versions as RWD and AWD, and then there is the Yellowbird. The Birdie si the by far most difficult, followed by the RWD version. The AWD already is a challenge. The RUF in raceroom however is GT3, so has plenty of enhaced grip.

If you want to compare cars between sims, use identicla cars, like the BMZ Z4GT3 for exmaple, or the McLaren MP12GT3. You will see that bioth sims have these cars very differently modelled, they do not drive and feel similar in both sims. In the end, comparing cars between these two sims more illustares a comparison of the two simulations different physics engines. These physics difference also I assume make for the major part of differences people feel on the two Nordschleifen, since both versions of that track base on the same data set.

Its not a bad thing that RR and AC drive and feel differently, its the difference that makes me use both. If they would feel identical, I would have no point in investing into both, and then would have stayed with AC. It was the difference that lured me to RR as well. That different and yet: good it is! when i want to enjoy the driving experience for the sake of enjoying the driving for what it is, I go to AC and start a training session with AI cars loosely scattered around the track. When I am in the mood for racing and dogfighting with the pack, I go to Raceroom.

Comparing Raceroom to Amy Whinehouse, imo is an offence. For Raceroom. Whinehouse was hopelessly overrated, while Raceroom is a fighting underdog that does not allow to get counted out, and fights and gets stronger and stronger. The two have not only nothing in common, but are even two diametrical opposites, so to speak. - I would compare AC and RR two these two fighters instead :) : Marvin "Marvelous" Hagler versus "Sugar" Ray Leonard. Best boxing fight I have ever seen during my lifetime. No discussing the scoring, though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Wow David all the time I've had this I've not noticed it...only those rubber chunks in the replays the size of a fist...I'll have to spend more track time on it :)

14. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    No offence intended...just was hoping to give out a few chuckles :)

...and if you're talking Hagler and Sugar Ray then I'm guessing we're around the same age....those *were* the days indeed :)

15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Better days for sure. Sometimes I miss the cold war. :D

16. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    pCars version is not laser-scanned. I have good FFB settings (i use Wheelcheck, google spreadsheet e.t.c to setup). But i don't like the track in it. BIG difference to R3E and AC and iRacing. Very big.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Then please tell me which exactly are the differences ?
    It's not like I have only driven 10 laps in each sim on the Ring...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That is what I am saying yes, dynamic conditions.
    Start a e.g. 4hr race at 16.00 and watch the track temperature droppping and dropping, you will feel the difference in grip (that goes for all tracks of course).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    She really wasn't.

AC, on the other hand...

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what is wrong (hope not with me), but like i wrote above, with R3E, AC and iRacing, i can drive with the same speed, same gears, seem brake points e.t.c I use BMW Z4 GT3 to test (only in iRacing i drive with RUF Track version, because i don't have Z4 and can drive it only during TestDrive mode is possible). In pCars i need sometimes break earlier, use different (lower) gears (not in every corner), to have near the same lap time as in other 3 version of Nordschleife