Do you race with cockpit view or nose view or something else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metalogic, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Do you race with cockpit view or nose view or something else?

1. Cockpit View

86.8%
  2. Nose View

8.8%
  3. Third Person View (behind)

1.8%
  4. Something Else

2.6%
  1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I had assumed that almost everyone raced using the cockpit view, but watched this video, which makes a case for using the nose view - his main point being that when driving in real life, all your eyes really see are the view of the road through the windscreen and the bonnet/hood of the car, not the steering wheel.

I can see some benefits to this, particularly if using a single, not very large screen, as you get to see much more of the road in front of you on the screen than in cockpit view, and perhaps a greater sense of speed. On the downsides, it looks like you loose pretty much all peripheral vision to the side of the car (though you don't get much of this on a single screen anyway), plus perhaps less immersion and feel of actually driving from inside the car.

What view do you use and why?

2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I use cockpit but move the camera quite far forward so i can just see the top of the wheel at 90deg in some cars. in quite a few i cant see it at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I hope we became a option vor the serves to set a view! Only Cockpit all other not get it real

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    That's right! I would prefer if we have only the cockpit view in the "get real" mode. Everything else is nonsense for a real sim. The same applies to the manual transmission mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    always used bonnet prior getting tripples, now cockpit

disagree heavily about the cockpit enforcement, too much variability in what hardware people have (monitor sizes...) therefore let them chose what is comfy.

• Agree Agree x 13
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the cockpit view and especially in get real mode, (no one complains in iracing) but auto/manual transmission should not be forced, you have to take into account people's own ability and if they have a physical disabilities, also if they choose to drive in auto mode there is no advantage to be had, in fact probably the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I use the bonnet for qualifying/hot laps and when learning a track/car combo. I prefer the cockpit view, but in some cars (and with tight FOV) it's hard to see the track until you get used to it. Should be the users choice, but i suppose you could have it forced on "hardcore" servers, if everyone is keen to do it.

8. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have a single screen and I use the cockpit view because when using the bonnet view, most cars feel very nervous and I don't get a good feeling of the car's stability. In cockpit view I am more aware what the car is doing and finally it is more fun from inside the car for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    only cockpit view, move the camera forward, and real hands -wheel, never ever virtual ones

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I use cockpit but move the camera forward so i cant see the steering wheel but can see some of the dash, bit off putting if you can see your wheel and another wheel on screen, if the rotation is off or you get input lag can be quite distracting.

11. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit in races / Bonnet on TT (Faster IMO) :D

12. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit only, always...
    Without animated arms and steering wheel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit only, both in R3E and irl ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit view and FOV 0.5. And since I have single screen I use EDTracker to look to apex etc. works like a charm. With the FOV 0.5 I pretty much match the real view in my car.

I also turn off wheel and arms.

For HUD I use an app on an Android phone which is encased in a frame called "Blackplate" which then is attached to my T300 wheel :-D so I have no use for the ingame HUD. See attached pictures

IMG_20160511_220223280_TOP.jpg IMG_20160617_162746152.jpg IMG_20160617_162804886.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  15. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Same as sbtm. Cockpit view always, correct FOV and CrewChief to avoid undesired contacts. Wheel and hands off ingame.
    I use the Renovatio SRD-9C for data, and sometimes I turn on my android tablet too for more info via apk (HudDash, DashMeterPro, etc..).

16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That looks great, where did you get the "backplate" cover for your phone from, and how does it attach to the wheel?

17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    See in my signature there are two links with more information, but unfortunately in german.

Here's the first link: http://forum.simracingliga.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1752

You have to choose one display size and what wheel you're using. Fanatec csw base, t300 or t500. It is directly mounted to the (t300) base with 4 screws.. you're using existing screws so no drilling or whatever.

I think the creator is here around too.
    Must be @depART.ed here since it's same username as in the link. ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I run cockpit only with trackir for that extra sense of realism.

19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Do you think the "Mk. 4" T300 version would also work with a TX base, as that's what I'll likley be buying soon?

Also - how is the "Mk . 1" version meant to be used? I have a spare 7" Kindle Fire HDX that might work with that, but the translation seems to imply to the Mk.1 version doesn't attach to the wheelbase? Is it meant to be mounted on a sim rig or something like that?

20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit view here, hands/wheel turned off. One thing I miss in R3E is "helmet" view. IRL helmet restricts vision, and I like that feature in pCars and older games.