If you only could pick one car from each of the Group 5 and GTO packs, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metalogic, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    The class that I'm most interesting in driving in R3E is, perhaps somewhat predictably, the GT3 class, and I've bought pretty much all the GT3 cars available, but with the current sale on I've thought of dipping my toe the Group 5 and GTO classes and buying one car in each, and a few liveries, so I can at least participate in races for those classes.

I haven't ventured towards those classes before as I've heard they're hard to drive and I'm still very much beginner at sim racing, but I'm prepared to give them a go, if not now, then later when I've got some more practice in.

So - if you had to pick just one car from each of the GTO and Group 5 classes, which would it be? Especially bearing in mind I'm far from an expert sim racing driver... I love the idea of the Porsche, sorry, Fabcar 935, especially in it's Martini livery, but have read it's a bit of a beast to drive...

BTW apart from the GT3 cars I already own the NSU, the Formula Jnr. pack and bought the Audio TT and DTM '92 car packs at 50% off in the Steam sale. I'll probably buy the WTCC pack at some point, but that can wait, as it's not in the sale. Same goes for the Tatuus F4 pack. I also own all the tracks now, after picking up the Asian ones I didn't have in the sale.

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The cars with a huge displacement are arguably the most fun to drive, Greenwood Corvette f.e. But they are also a handful.
    For some odd reason I prefer the Nissan Silvia. It's not the fastest car in the class (pretty much the opposite) but for me there's something genuine about it, hard to describe, very smooth with excellent braking behaviour.
    In GTO I still prefer the Audi, has a unique touch, one of the few 4WD cars.

But it's really up to your preferences, other people will recommend different cars. Just give them all a good test drive and see which one you feel the most comfy with, or entertained by. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Until I get my wheel (soon, soon...) they'll all be hard to test drive, as you can't change the steering lock in test Drive and it gets set to 8 for my controllers, when it needs to be about 13, so I can't even get round some corners in Test Drive :(

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Blargh, right, forgot about that issue, sorry.
    I mean you can't go wrong with the Capri. For me its a sound combination of both worlds, relatively stable to drive but enough insanity to make you sweat now and then. Silvia is probably the tamest. The Beamer is a little sicko due its low weight and short wheelbase.
    The thing with the Vette or Dekon is that you have to adapt your driving to a completely new experience, much earlier braking cause it understeers like a wooden plank if you go into corners too fast, but it makes up for that with brute force, acceleration and low torque oomph is just smirk-inducing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Capri in g5 - it can be chucked around a bit. IMO the bit engined Chevy's are just too highly strung to be fun.

For gto I like the mustang - it's a bit more predictable. The view out if the Nissan us awful and the Audi turbo lag makes it a bit of a faff ti drive - you're either struggling for torque or bashing into the limiter

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'll second the Mustang and the Vette. Love'em both. Muscles > Turbo. That said both packs are awesome and it's hard to go wrong, I mean it's incredibly easy to mess up and go wrong in those cars but that's what makes'em endearing. Winning a race in Group 5 or GTO makes your chest hair grow. This is proved by SCIENCE!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Formula Raceroom Junior because it's more fun.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I've already got that, as I mentioned in my original post...

• Like Like x 1
  9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Capri G5 (old love since childhood) and Nissan GTO (only one I tested thoroughly tbh)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy most of the group5 cars, though the decon Chevy is a nice combination of power and handling, the corvette is a hoot to drive, what she looses in the corners you make up in the straights . The beamer was a favorite for some time, very fun car to loss about.
    Gto, no better choice for me than that fun little package, pony car, mustang, the stang.... great fun tossing it about, revving the motor too much, and slamming that little car wherever I can. You didn'the ask but the dtm 92 stang is another favorite, not up to the European iron, but fun factor is always at 100% for me when driving it

11. hotak

hotak New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you want an easy to drive one i'd say the capri if you like agile low-weight cars, the silvia if you prefere a more weighty and stable one. In the GTO class i'd say the nissan is the easiest to drive, but i really like the audi too

12. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    For the GTO class, I think the Mustang is the easiest to drive while the Audi is insanely difficult for me.

I find BMW 320i Group 5 to be the easiest to drive for me, followed closely by Nissan KDR30 Super Silhoulette. The Fabcar felt much harder for me due it's understeer behavior for me, it really quick on the straights. The Corvette is the most difficult car to drive in that bunch.

13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips, in the end I bought the Class 5 Capri and the GTO Mustang!

• Like Like x 4
  14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    an excellent choice sir., The default Capri setup has lots of rear toe-in and a full tank. It's much more rewarding if you dial out most of the toe and drop the fuel level

15. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    In Group 5 my favourite is the Fabcar 935, followed by the Greenwood Corvette. The Fabcar is poisonous to drive but rewarding if one manages to get a fast lap in the end.

In GTO the Mustang is the greatest fun, but for races I prefer the Nissan 300ZX.

16. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Can't comment on the GTO class, but in Group5 class the Zakspeed Capri is my favourite car. That sound! :hearteyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, commented on the headline and not the post.

Silly me :p I'd recommend the Cheverolet car. It's impossible to handle, but for me that makes it more fun.

18. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I btw. like the GTO Audi much more after the update - as I really drove countless hrs 4 WD with Rally Sims (RBR and DR lately) the non-updated Audi always appeared very strange to me but after a short test recently it felt very balanced and as a result I got proper laptimes out of it - very special car (like the Rally Quattro S1) but once you got the feel for it it's great ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Just what I was about to suggest! :)

Good choice.

20. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    good choice, the capri after the update is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1