Oculus Rift Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by balu, Jan 29, 2015.

1. clevername

clevername Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    dumb question here... but I confess to being invested in triple screens and not paying attention to VR developments. How does VR for racing work when you are using button boxes and need to operate the keyboard, etc?

2. zehnder.eric

zehnder.eric New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Basically you fumble around. VR is a huge shift for people who have multiple wide button boxes and tablet HUDs and all that. Instead, you're in the game and looking at only what exists. I have a G27 which works pretty well because it has a decent amount of buttons. For the times you need to touch the keyboard in game? Well...it probably won't work well for you.

Haptic gloves and similar technologies are being eagerly worked on and I foresee the next jump will be actually touching the switches in the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Been playing Dirt Rally ever since the ReVive update and it's awesome. S3S better get with the program while the markets still fresh. Wait too long and they will be lucky to catch up to the bottom.

VR may be niche but so is Sim Racing and FFB Wheels.
    There are more people with a VR HMD than play this game currently. Bring VR support and most of them will be your customers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Button box still works for me. I know where everything is without seeing it. Only need to be able to access a few keys on the KB and know where those are too.

I have transitioned from Triples to VR and wouldn't dream of going back. VR puts you behind the wheel from inside the car. It doesn't just look like you're in the car - to your mind and eyes you are in it.

I have a full rig setup - button boxes, gauge array, 2 tablets running telemetry and tire temps and timing, etc... I don't need any of it now. Don't miss it either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'm also finding it hard to enjoy non-vr games now. While they still look like games, you're *in* the game rather than watching it.

6. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Man, I've only had this stupid thing for 2 weeks and I'm utterly utterly obsessed. Don't get one, they eat people. *Finally* got Project Cars running nicely on it and you can say what you like about PCars, blasting around Bathurst in an open cockpit Radical in the rain has to be one of the most astonishing gaming I've ever done. I've kind of trained my brain to see past the pixellation and now I'm just 'there', in the game, doing awesome stuff. All I want to do is play with my Vive. I will become a hermit.

Dirt Rally works well with ReVive but to be honest, PCars is better now it's 'clicked'.

IMO, if you get anything less than the best gfx card you can afford, you'll regret it. For Vive, I think only a 1080 will do. For Rift a 1070 might be OK. Apparently Rifts are now shipping without the comical delays. Rift + 1070 will save you a few quid. Order it now and wave goodbye to your life

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Joshua Spann Jr

Joshua Spann Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree, it has the best visuals to me of all of the driving games on the vive, very immersive

8. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Oh Interesting. I actually just got myself a 1070 for VR thinking it would be enough for either.
    I have still not decided which way to go Vive or Rift.
    Only really interested in racing and flying sims.
    Why is it you say the Rift would be ok with a 1070 but the Vive needs 1080.
    This might end up being the deciding factor for me. On the other hand with the Rift now owned by Facebook, privacy is a big factor too.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    With Facebook there is no privacy. I just tried to view my profile as an outsider using private browsing and I got this. I was blocked because I had cookies turned off. Facebook and their "super cookies". Google it. If you use FaceBook at all, then everything you do on that machine they own.

[​IMG]

10. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. I don't use facebook and never intend to. This is a big factor making me lean more towards Vive but I'm sure I could use firewall and block traffic If I needed to and if performance is not good with Vive on a gtx1070 I may consider Rift

11. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Obviously I've never used a 1070 on my Vive. The reason I suggest that a 1070 might not cut the mustard is that my 1080 / i5 4690k / 16gb box is 'just good enough'. I'd like to be able to use higher super-sampling settings (the screen door + aliasing in the Vive annoys me) but even with a 1080 I have to compromise. With a 1070 I'd have to compromise more and, knowing a better gfx card is available, it would bother me.

I've never used a Rift so I'm basing this entirely on assumption and stuff people have said, but I *think* the Rift image has less screen-door, and it's not as bright so the aliasing might not be quite so obvious.

Having said all that, improvements are coming thick and fast - as games adopt SMP the 1070 will stretch its legs.

If I was buying all over again I'd choose the Vive and the 1080. If I had a 1070 then I'd find the Rift / Vive choice harder. But room-scale *is* awesome. I expected to be racing and flying in my Vive, but the room scale stuff is wonderful and I'd miss it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Use a Throttle grip, like the ProThrottle from CH. You grab it, but can activate all functions and buttons on it blindly, then. Pro Throttle has around 20 hardwarwe button positions, and per layered templates you can triple that number.

[​IMG]
    I use it for that in some older racing titles, to avoid needing to look at the keyboard while racing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You absolutely do not need a 1080 for the Vive. It runs flawlessly on both of my machines and so does the Rift. PC 1 uses a gtx 970 oc and PC 2 uses 980ti oc and both have had both hmds run on them. PC 1 is a i5 4690k oc 4.4ghz 16gb . PC 2 AMD FX 9590 oc 5.2ghz 16gb. These are not supercomputers and both are over a year old and run VR without skipping a beat.

Don't let specs get in the way of which HMD you want - you meet optimal requirements already for both. Both devices are great - though I'm more of a Vive guy and my son is more into the Rift (though he's on my Vive quite a bit.

14. zehnder.eric

zehnder.eric New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. This is a free to play game. Oculus and Vive owners have already shown their willingness to purchase full priced games as long as they're fully fleshed out and not just tech demos (and even if they are, often). This is racing game with more forgiving features than other games, graphics that look great but are not taxing on a system and should run at 90FPS on any decent VR rig.

S3 has so many options to grab money and players here.

15. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Oculus doesn't work with dx9 so there's not much chance of the current R3E engine finding its way onto the Rift. A vive implementation would require the menus to work in VR, which i believe is a very big job (they're rendered with stuff like Flash, IIRC). Even if making the in-game graphics work with OpenVR is easy, making a proper VR release with working menus would be hard.

However, I would *love* to see this. Even some kind of alpha level support with no changes to the existing menu code would be cool. This is how Assetto Corsa works with Revive - the game menus have to be accessed via Steam Desktop, but the in-game graphics are all VR. HUD overlays in Raceroom might be a pain, but even would *any* HUD, menus, overlays, etc VR would be brilliant for Raceroom. Perhaps someone could write an application that read out messages to replace these overlays ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    very excitied but with many doubts, vive or rift? i am a little confused, with amd fx 8350 8 core processor, but with r9 270x it is enough?

17. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it would be enough. The CPU *might* be OK, the graphics card won't be

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Okay, to bad.
    Anyone else that have a DK2 who can tell if it work with R3E?

19. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Mr Belowski why do you prefere the vive instead of oculus rift? i don t know much about vr, but the oculus rift seem to be more popular than the htc vive.

20. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Room scale stuff - mooching about in your nerd cafe in vr rocks. There's something magical about it that the seated experiences just don't offer

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1