Oculus Rift Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by balu, Jan 29, 2015.

1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The point of "always want the fastest hardware", comes at play in VR due to the pixels being relatively big (physical), so anti-aliasing is even much much more beneficial than on regular monitors which have super tiny pixels. And your head is always a bit in motion as well.
    I think a colleague calculated something that if you were looking at a monitor within VR, your typical 24" monitor would have resolution around 500 pixels or so (don't quote me on that).

Also the resolution at which the games render is actually higher than the display resolution of the devices, this is to account for optics doing the distortion and keeping detail in center, so actual render res is 1.3x or so. Then for decent super-sampling you add another factor on top and in the end you want the 90Hz guarantee as well...

If you have simpler games the super-resolution rendering is not a big deal, and many "native" VR games probably fall into that category. Not saying you need all that crazy hardware and all the cranked up AA to have fun in VR, but I'd suggest investing more into AA quality than normally.

2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    fully agree imo that makes it the better VR experience for now, until Oculus brings out their counterpart of "virtual hands" and greater tracking area...
    The experience to walk around in a virtual world with life-size objects is very "moving".

3. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I'd like soooo much one of those sets.. But. That price tag in EU doesn't make things easy :mad:
    As far as I've read, oculus is "better" for siting experiences, cheaper, seems to have more compatibility atm.. but. Owned by facebook: no go for me. I would probably bought the CV1 for those reasons if it weren't owned by fb.
    Vive, 200€ more expensive, "worse" overall quality for sim racing games (while seated), seems bigger, less support, but. Room scale has its appeal, overall hw quality seems better, has a cam, comes with controls, and it belongs to Valve.
    Quite a headache :confused:

And then big but: none seems to be supported by RRE in the short term. And thats a big let down for me. So almost 1000€ for a thing that it is still not supported forces me to wait. I guess I'd already bought the Vive if RRE had support for it even if its first gen and expensive.

Expensive puzzle

4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Forget RRRE, once you see how well VR works with Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Live For Speed & iRacing you will quickly forget RaceRoom entirely. I have been racing hard out in my Rift CV1 for the past 3 weeks and it is amazing. Project Cars now works beautifully & looks incredible, same for Assetto Corsa plus the benefit of so many add-on modded cars & tracks - the McLaren of Ayton Senna and later version of Mika Hakkinen are both so incredibly good. Now we just got Dirt Rally VR update and that has got to be the best VR interface in any game so far. The future is very bright for VR sim racing but stupidly the devs of RR only have a narrow vision focused on short term profit for few cars now & then - no vision for VR which is an incredibly exciting opportuntiy and fantastic path for the future of sim racing, not the only one as some people will still enjoy their triple screens but to ignore it is plain dumb. Sorry to be negative but it is the truth and frankly I was angered by the lack of respect Sector3 display by refusing to have ever properly discussed the subject of VR or even comment intelligently. Arrogant inward looking attitude which turns customers away, but it appears they just do not care for whatever reason. I regret spending so much money buying into RaceRoom as I feel it was a lot of wasted money in the end for only few months of use, bad choice on my part and if I could refund it all I would as the total cost was more then I spent on Project Cars, Assetto & Dirt Rally combined. Shows what a rip-off it is, I expect a few disagree's but it is the truth.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    "... it is the truth." :eek:
    That's what many people would see as an...
    "Arrogant inward looking attitude... " :rolleyes:

Good bye, have fun. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, don't you think the way of argumenting is a bit stupid? You say that there wasn't any comment from S3S that Raceroom will ever get VR-Support, you were 100% sure that you will only play VR-Games in future, but you were still buying Content for R3E which will be abolutely useless for you as soon you've got your HMD and now you blame Raceroom that you have invested so much money?

Not sure what you want to achieve with such an argumenting...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    i´ve invested much money in R³E also, but i sold my Tripplescreen Setup allready and got a single gaming Monitor for All my other games. But Racing only on Oculus. And i play them all, but not R³E anymore. Hopefully in the nearby future.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yes truth can hurt and it is not an argument - nothing to achieve because any sensible argument or discussion was ignored by S3 long ago even though RR did once support VR, However I will still hang about & comment on VR because it is worthwhile, and because I did spend so much money that I will express my opinion, like it or not doesn't matter but people interested to know about RaceRoom will come here if they like VR and will at least read some balanced reason why they should not invest their money in a race title that is massively overpriced and ignores VR. The ones who do not see the truth in all this do not care much for VR anyway so they have other interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It would be atleast good from developers to say if they plan VR support or not. I dont like this secrets from devs. I think it makes more negative than positive impact.
    Almost every game has publish info or already support VR gear, but R3E which was probably our most expensive racing game can't tell us what they plan in future.
    What is so supersecret on RaceRoom that they cannot publish info to their customers? If majority of current R3E players will switch to AC, Dirt rally, etc... and then suddenly R3E will surprisingly release their ultra-top-secret VR project, I am not sure how many drivers will go back to RaceRoom.
    Not good attitude IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Out of interest @Blanes what FOV do you use in PCARS with VR? And what did you use before for a single or triple monitor setup. Thanks!

11. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Not sure FOV is an option for VR in PCars - its one of those settings that is either 'right' or it's 'wrong'. My understanding was that it's fixed.

Regarding R3E and VR, it's not a secret. The question's been asked before, and the answer from JF was that it wasn't planned. They're aware of OpenVR and that it may be technically feasible to support Vive with their current DX9 engine, but their work priorities are elsewhere at the moment. Remember that S3's main product is the software for Raceroom and their sim rigs. As far as I'm aware, the Steam game we all love has to come second to their work on the Raceroom stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jim, assume you can still move the seat about so it feels right?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  13. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    yes you can - you can reset the view whenever you want, which you can use the modify your seating position, and you can also move the seat up/down and back/forward.

You can also set the world 'scale' - by default the world is a bit small on the Vive so I set this to 1.15 and it looks better.

I use the renderTargetMultiplier SteamVR settings hack to set supersampling to 1.6, which works much better than the in-game anti-aliasing. It's ace. Really really ace. F3 cars and open prototypes are just mind bogglingly good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Gongos travels, lilliput racing, the revenge.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yes you can. Finally I can feel what it's like to be able to see over the dashboard and be more than 2 feet tall

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Just found this vid of someone playing AMS on a DK2 with vorpx oculus 1.3, OpenTrack.
    Wouldn't this be possible with R3E as well then?

What would be a fair price for a used DK2?

Sadly, that's all I will afford for the moment..

17. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My rift arrives tomorrow, I'm nervous

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Dunno about dk2 and r3e. AMS uses the old rf1 gfx engine which is different to the r3e one. Might work, probably won't I think. Not sure it's worth buying a dk2 unless it's like 150 quid or something.

Can I have a prize for constructing a sentence almost entirely from acronyms?

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Found a couple of vids of R3E and DK2, but the most recent is a year old.

20. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't feel a price over 350$ for a VR set is reasonable or justified for me to spend.
    I've already been waiting since the dawn of oculus, thinking it would be within that range once released.. .
    And guess it will take some time before the consumer headsets will reach that limit. :(