Problem Windows complete crash and freeze since update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by girlracerTracey, Jul 3, 2016.

1. girlracerTracey

girlracerTracey New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello there. Since the latest update to R3E I have been experiencing serious freezes and crashes whilst playing R3E both online and offline. Interestingly I am experiencing this on R3E on both my windows 7 64 bit hard-drive and also my Windows 10 hard drive. Previously R3E on both windows 7 and windows 10 ran absolutely flawlessly for me. No problems whatsoever.

Now since the update both versions on separate hard drives are experiencing a terminal crash within normally less than 1 lap of a race. On windows 7 it chucks me back to my desktop whilst on windows 10 it actually turns my pc off.. On windows 7 I have to restart the pc to get my desktop working properly once again. So very serious crashes caused by R3E on both.

I have verified the R3E game cache on both the windows 7 and windows 10 R3E installations and Steam is telling me everything is fine. I have made sure I am fully up to date with my nvidia graphics driver and also my windows updates etc. Everything is fully up to date.

My pc spec.s are:

AMD Athlon X4 740 Quad Core Processor 3.2 ghz
    8.00 GB installed RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    and separately
    Windows 10 Pro.
    I have checked for a crash dump report on both my windows 10 and windows 7 hard drives and neither windows version is collecting a crash dump error report. Nothing at all.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me. At the moment R3E because of these problems is unplayable for me since the latest update.

Tracey

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,

so it's Windows that's crashing the game, in that case could you check the Windows Event Protocol (typing 'event' in the Windows Search bar will show it as a result) and search for the error/crash log Windows should have created? That could give a hint at what's causing the crashes.

Are you using any recording or streaming software?

general hints that might help:
    • Start RRRE.exe and steam exe as admin.
    • If there's apps like shadowplay or Geforce Experience running in the background, try shutting them down before starting RR.
    • Try to delete the games documents folder (in ...documents/my games/simbin) after making backups of the files you'd like to keep (controller profiles, replays etc.). It will be re-created when you start the game again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    O.K. thank you very much for coming back to me on this one.

I will try everything that you have suggested. By the way yes I did have ShadowPlay running in the background in both cases (windows 7 and windows 10 versions) and I am running an msi (nvidia) GTX 760 graphics card for your info.

I will go and test everything right now.

Tracey

• Like Like x 1
  4. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Update from me. I made sure I am running R3E as administrator (which I was anyway just to make you aware) and I disabled Geforce Experience and ShadowPlay.. I got a little bit further into my race (at Suzuka) this time but it still crashed to desk-top on Windows 10.

All my other Steam Racing games (rfactor, rfactor 2, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and others) are all still running fine with no crashes or glitches at all. So this does seem specific to R3E since the update.

When it crashes I am flung back to my desktop and the Steam Library page I normally start my games from..I can still hear the sound of R3E and it seems that the race is continuing..I hear myself crashing into barrier(s) and then just the engine idling..but I am "locked" and I cannot get back into the game by clicking on the R3E logo that is still visible on my bottom task-bar. No error/crash log is being created by Windows. I checked for this and I cannot find one..

So unfortunately R3E under present circumstances is still unplayable for me.

Any other ideas please?

Thank you.

Tracey

5. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    O.K. just performed some more in-game testing on this problem.

It seems track dependent.

If I try a race at Suzuka it crashes every time. If I try a race at Sachsenring..it crashes. If I race at Brands Hatch it only crashes now and again. I can complete races at Brands and watch replays. I also just did a race at Nurburgring and again I was able to complete a short race and also watch the replay back of the race. Went back to race at Suzuka and it crashed again within one and a half laps..

So it seems like the problem for me is sparked off when I try to race at specific tracks. It doesn't seem to like certain of my tracks following the update last week.

Tracey

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So it doesn't actually crash, hmm... That would explain why Windows doesn't record any errors.
    Could you tell me what graphics card you're using?
    Does it also happen if you do a practice session without any other cars on track?

Often problems stem from the system running out of memory, tho that usually leads to the application actually crashing.
    You could try disabling the replay recording to free up some memory.
    • Right Click on the game in the steam library.
    • Click "properties."
    • Click "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."
    • Enter -disableReplay in the text field.
    • Click Ok.
    • Start the game.
    Alternatively you could try to lower the track texture quality and/or track LOD.

How much free disk space is there on your system partition? (Sometimes having too little free disk space can lead to the pagefile system not working correctly.)

7. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am using a msi nvidia GTX760 graphics card with 2 GB ddr5 ram etc.

I have 75GB of free space left on my h/d.

I agree with you it does seem to me that somehow I may be running out of memory. Yet before the update it was running at all tracks perfectly..

I will try what you suggest re. turning off in-game recording. I tried it at Suzuka in practice with just me on the track (no AI cars) and it crashed in the same manner.

Bit of a mystery to me this one as all my other "sim" racing games seem fine.

Tracey

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That should be plenty enough free disk space, and the gpu should be able to handle RR, at least on medium settings.

Agree, doesn't make much sense that it starts showing issues after this patch, there wasn't any major graphics-related update afaik...
    Did you check the advanced graphics options, are they the same as before the patch? This is very far fetched, but it happened in the past that settings got changed in the wake of an update. Still, I'd expect it to simply crash, not keep running in the background.

What class did you use on Suzuka?

• Like Like x 1
  9. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just to be sure I just freed-up another 20 GB of h/d capacity by deleting another racing game from my Steam library. So I have 95 GB of spare space on my h/d.

Tried Suzuka again and it crashed within half a lap..

I'll see if I can reset all my graphics settings in-game and investigate whether that helps me..

Thanks once again.

Tracey

10. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am running Group 5 in a Zakspeed Capri..it crashes in the GT3 class also using a Porsche or a McLaren.

Tracey

11. girlracerTracey

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    O.K. good news. I think thanks to your help and assistance we've cured it. So I have my favorite "sim" racer back to enjoy again..Phew!

You were spot-on..with the update it had somehow tripped certain of my graphics settings onto maximum. Things like reflection and shadows quality and certain other quality settings items..all went to maximum. With these adjusted down again the game is running faultlessly once again without any crashes.

So thank you Christian very much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it.

Tracey :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Glad you found the culprit and were able to mend it. This already happened some time back, seems to be somewhat random and very rare (thank God). ;)

So, glad I could help, enjoy the game and maybe see you on track some time.

Cheers

Christian

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. SniperFire69

SniperFire69 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hmm strange because I have a very similar issue, I can practice as long as I like and quali is fine but as soon as I go to race it completely locks up windows within 10 to 60 seconds into race, I have to hard reboot it and reload my windows, every track and car I have played does it, graphics set to medium and 70FPS, very frustrating as this is the first time I have gone back to RRE in months.
    I completely deleted all of RRE including my profile and started from scratch today and get the same issue 10 seconds into a race with no crash file produced GRRRRRRR

Win10 64bit, GTX980 16gig ram , plenty of free space on drive

EDIT: Just turned graphics to low I get 185 frames per second.
    I did not move off the start line within 20 secs game completely freezes and I have to hard reboot PC, no windows errors in event viewer and no crash logs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  14. SniperFire69

SniperFire69 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh wow this is just getting stranger and stranger
    1. I only crash in race mode
    2. I just noticed 3 times in a row it crashed at arount 19.944 seconds, then I went onto someones multiplayer server and went from quali to race, I was own my own and it completely froze at 19.949 seconds into race, this is ridiculous:(

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing this crash. If you've done all of the above and it still doesn't work, I can't offer any immediate help. But I'll add it to our bugtracker and notify the devs of the issue.

16. SniperFire69

SniperFire69 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And it now gets even stranger,i bought a 1080gtx today, now in a race when it gets to 20 seconds instead of freezing it just freezes for a split second the continues to race normally so at least I can race now. What happens at 20 second mark of a race?

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Would be great if you could capture a video of what's happening exactly, if that's possible.
    Is it a solid freeze for several seconds or just some stutter?

18. SniperFire69

SniperFire69 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian, cheers for replying.
    With the 980gtx the game completely locked up, with the 1080gtx I only get a quick stutter at exactly the same time in a rac and its fine after that so at least now I can play:)
    Something surely happens at the 20 second mark of a race for this to occur every single time in a race?
    I will record it next time

• Like Like x 1