windows 8.1 or 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by juan Fafian, Jul 14, 2016.

1. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    hi guys, i have windows 8.1 , perfect, whithout problems, should i change to windows 10?
    anybody have prblems whit w10? i am not talking only for raceroom game, i mean in general.
    thanks in advance.

2. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I went from 7 to 10 on my main rig and laptop. Didn't really like 8.

To be honest I quite like 10. From 8.1 to 10 its not a big step but since the upgrade if free untill the 29th I would upgrade for sure.
    Make an image first and then see if you like it.
    I am pretty picky but everything worked; games, audio programs, all hardware, had minimal issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I'm using windows 10 since it's official release now and I don't have any big problems since than. Everything is working well, fast and stable.

But one thing is a bit annoying... the auto-Update. It starts in background without any information. You just wonder that your system feels slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. juan Fafian

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    ummm i hate auto updates...:mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 on the Boot Camp partition on my iMac a month ago, and haven't had any issues. I'm really liking 10, it finally got the desktop and Metro tiles to co-exist, and it feels closer to OS X—Cortana/search, task view, notifications centre.

The Xbox app's Game DVR works perfectly with RaceRoom too. The UI doesn't show up, but it starts/stops recording and records the last x minutes the way it's supposed to. ShadowPlay won't work on my graphics card, so this is the next best thing (30 fps only). Don't have to configure it or start it up like OBS, just hit Win+Alt+G after a worthy moment.

I use a third-party wireless dongle for my Xbox 360 controller and an OSS driver for the controller FFB, and was worried neither would work with 10, but it's all been business as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  6. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I converted to Windows 10 right when it became available. It had some teething problems with many of the updates early on, but for the last 4 months or so it has been working great. Before I was fearful of updates and needing to rollback some of them to fix things that had broken, but now everything comes through smoothly and efficiently.

In terms of Win 10 itself, it looks quite a lot nicer than 7 or 8 and runs significantly smoother than both of them as well. Now that it works nearly all the time I can definitely recommend getting it.

7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    If you like win 8\.1 you`ll love win 10.
    I went from 7 to 10, pretty seemless, there are things i prefer in 7 and a few i prefer in 10, if all you are used to or use is 8\.1 then its a no brainer for me 10 all day long, yes i did try 8 for a day :(
    You can pretty much tweak 10 to behave anyway you want it and have a faster more stable os while doing it.
    I couldnt stand 8, dont know how anyone could use it, each to their own but im comfortable flitting back n forth between 7 n 10.

8. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    No brainer... Windows 10.

9. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Will win 10 improve the gaming experience at all ? If I have all my games on 8.1 and convert does it save all existing programs and saves etc. I don't want to do it and risk possibly losing raceroom content and functionality.

I have win 10 on a separate ssd but not sure if I want to convert my main drive.

10. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I got a 10-20% performance boost across the board going from 7 to 10, nothing ran slower, most was noticably faster, using the win10 update feature you should be able to keep all of your personal stuff, either way if you copy all your saves from your documents folder and copy them back after the upgrade you should be good to go. If you have software or games saved and you dont want or cant afford to lose them do a system backup before you upgrade or be sure to copy all of your saves to a different drive and restore them after updating.
    Its pretty painless, lots n lots of guides out there if you let google guide you to them.

11. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

Windows 10.... !!! Much better OS than 8.1 !!

12. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    But Win 7 is far better than than 8.1, but overall I like Win 10, but will not use it, especially on the gaming rig due to this enforced auto update, now if they made only MS stuff suffer with this bullshit, and all 3rd party software didn't, or even better they allowed us to switch it off altogether then I would switch.

13. kingtin

kingtin New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Oh right! I couldn't figure out that strange behaviour! Has happened twice now in the last month or so.

I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 (which I used for a couple of months) to 10 and, apart from the G25/DFGT driver auto-update, have not had any issues. Feels very much the same to me. As mentioned, the background downloads do affect my slow connection here at home.

14. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I'm just switch off auto update device drivers in Win 10, because last time it totally destroyed my G25 software, both driver (wheel not recongised as G25) and Logitech Profiler (won't start). It's only one problem in Win 10, all other work fine out of the box

15. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This should fix most third party driver issues with win10 update.

16. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

For me personal...Win10 is since years...a really geniune operating system. Some things are not very useful like Cortana for example. But overall its very good. Its also better than Win7 who got his own little problems. Win7 was very good...Win10 is better.

17. juan Fafian

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    i try windows 10 today, disaster...imposible 1920 x1080 res raceroom game, several errors at start up pc, drivers incompatibiliti , back to w 8.1, perfect until yesterday, problems with amd graphics software, absolutely regretful

18. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Running 10 since I got notified on upgrading from 7. After XP I think it have the potential to become another great os, it's already good, without major problems, runs smoothly and have some nice features.

19. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I had problems when I did an in-place upgrade from Win 8.1, but when I did a clean install of Win 10 all worked perfectly. I much prefer Win 10 now and no way would I go back to Win 8.1. Major version number upgrades to Windows are generally best always done as clean installs IMHO.

20. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    W10 systems do not belong to the owner, but belong to Microsoft, and they do with them what they want and at your cost. One should keep this in mind. Its one of the reasons why I moved from Windows to Linux last year. I maintain an isolated and seriously locked-and-chained W7 only as a game launching platform, and I intend to keep it this way. Everything else - EVERYTHING else - including typing this, is done under Linux. Currently dual boot, I plan to go with one PC tower for gaming and one laptop for Linux/everything-else soon.

Congratulations, Microsoft, you were successful in bullying with your GWX campaign to me to make me switch to a newer Operation System. Without that arrogance and overstepping of red lines, I still would be stuck with the far inferior OS. Thank you for enligthening me! The first 15 minutes with Linux Mint already were a revelation. Already the booting was.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1