windows 8.1 or 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by juan Fafian, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    So I assume you are also avoiding Apple, Google and social media products and services, including smartphones with stock ROM, browsers, search bars, mail services...etc. because Microsoft basically is just copying them in this behaviour. If you're using Chrome on Linux for example, then all your efforts so far were completely useless, because Google monitors your activities anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. No Google, no Apple, no Adobe, no antisocial media, no nothing of all that...

And this is my "smart"phone, for example. :D
    [​IMG]

Its switched on not more than maybe 50 days per year - for a couple of hours. ;)

I am no technophobe stoneage caveman. But I do not share the modern, totally uncritical and undistanced attitude of the young that all that is new and is "tech", necessarily is all positive. The digitalization of the world in recent years imo has turned as dangerous as it has brought some benefits.

In digital and in presumed "free" services, the product sold is always you. And that has started to piss me big time. Not to mention that the world, the provider, the state must not know all the last and tiniest details about my life. I'm not their or anyone else's belonging.

This morning a daughter of the Deutsche Bank in Germany, had its online customers logging into foreign bank accounts. People wanted to log into their own accounts, and ended up in the accounts of other people, and had for some time all freedom to do there and read all info and make notes of it for later abuse as well as place financial transfer orders. - Happy new digital world! But we are being told that cashlessness is the future, so that the state can steal and plunder even easier from us? - "Die dümmsten Kälber wählen sich ihre Metzger selber!" LOL

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I went from 7 to 10 and I believe my system became more productive.
    I definitely found it to have better performance with graphics apps like games.
    It takes some getting use to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I noticed a performance boost when I went from 7 to 8.1.
    The next step to 10 has me worried though.
    I think I will pass on it even though I will miss the "free" upgrade time period.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well I made the jump to Win10.
    I haven't noticed any marked improvement in game play though. I thought I would be at least 2 seconds faster per lap;)

One thing I noticed.... all these "apps" you have to download and install - A single web browser dose the same thing as all those apps combined and does it more efficiently. And all this telemetry sharing between apps, makes them open so much slower than with all the telemetry blocked.

But I like the UI, so I think I'll keep using it.

6. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    If you're wearing a tin foil hat....
    Interestingly enough, the lowtech phones are more likely to be monitored because they're considered "burn phones", here.

• Agree Agree x 1