Oculus Rift Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by balu, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Carbo-OZ

Carbo-OZ New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe they need to update to DX10,11 or 12 to support VR. Says as much in the 2nd or 3rd reply in this post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That was January 2015. And that Link what leads us to a Oculus Blogpost says:

"Apps that use DirectX 9 will continue to work for the foreseeable future, but they won’t compile in future SDK releases and may have additional runtime latency after we remove DirectX 9 support."

So as an example Live for Speed uses this nowadays and works very good.

3. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well I ended up getting the Rift and I like it a lot but now I see what you mean.
    I do agree that if anyone is considering VR that you should get the best fastest card you can if you plan on playing games like Project Cars and Elite Dangerous.
    I kind of regret getting the gtx1070.
    I don't mind the screen door effect that much, maybe its a little less noticeable with the Rift but the aliasing in Project cars is pretty bad :(

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. zehnder.eric

zehnder.eric New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Anti-aliasing should be tried on and off in VR. In Assetto Corsa, having it and Post Processing on made it look very blurry in my Vive. With those turned off it ran better and looked better. The screen door effect is going to be pronounced for sim titles because of distant objects needing very high resolution to be clear (not gonna happen this version). Screen door doesn't bother me at all in titles like Waltz of the Wizard but sim racing it's very pronounced.

Still, the presence and immersion are more than worth it. It's why RRRE needs to get with the times.

5. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I tried Pcars, Dirt Rally, and Assetto Corsa on my Vive and of the three AC was the clear winner. The main reason being I was able to get the most stable image out of AC. Pcars has a lot of aliasing and flicker on distant objects and Dirt had some flickering shadows and textures seemed a little flat in some cars as well as some performance issues.
    Sim racing will highlight the resolution limitations of any current HMD since you are focusing on such a small portion of the screen at any given time but I didn't find it to detract from the experience much at all as long as flickering and crawling isn't there to highlight the limitations. It is a shame R3E doesn't even have a hacky option to get VR working even if menus are broken. I feel with its lower system requirements and high AA settings/stable image it could be one of the better VR sim titles out now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. hyp36rmax

hyp36rmax Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Can't wait for VR implementation with this. My VIVE it waiting!

7. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if s3 left the -vr command line option in? I was wondering if that could be combined with revive, and maybe the 'disable direct mode' vive setting

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I think the bare minimum will make a lot of people happy. Pcars is the only fully supported VR sim I own and it happens to be my least favorite from a VR standpoint. I think most people will be able to look past some loss of some functionality, such as pit menus, if they can use their HMDs in one more sim.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Zboubi

Zboubi New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    tchao r3e no vr

10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Even as someone that doesn't plan to go VR or expect the majority of Sim racers to adopt it, R3E will definitely lose a large chunk of user base without VR, and probably a lot that that don't use VR as well just by being seen as behind the times.

I think more so than I did before, this is pretty important to the longetivity and relevancy of R3E. What other feature could keep/add so many users?? Pretty much none that don't exist already.

Sector 3 needs to do this. Plus imagine setting a VR rig at DTM races....would be impressive.

11. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Well I've gone oculus and unfortunately, I haven't played raceroom since. Don't get me wrong, raceroom is my favourite but I'm forced to play pcars which is fantastic with the rift and assetto corsa which is a pile of dog shit with or without the rift.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I don't think, that pcars is fantastic with the rift. It has a very lowsy performance with framedrops while cornering (e.g. Hockenheim) and the flickering is very disturbing. I have to reduce almost everything to low details and to deactivate PP to get a constant framerate of 90 fps. Only car details and textures can be set to middle and antialiasing to 2x DS2M. AC is working much better for me. I can set almost everything on Ultra or High with 8x AA. Even in the "oculus.ini" I can set PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.5 to improve the picture quality. I only must deactivate PP and set car reflections to low to get constant 90 fps with 10 cars on the track. In pcars I also can only use 10 cars on the track to get constant 90 fps, but the graphics are much worse.

I'm afraid, that we have to wait for "Raceroom 2" with Unreal 4 engine to get a VR support. That's very sad as I've already spent about 200 € for raceroom and own almost the whole content. But at the moment without VR support, I don't want to play it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RodBruno

RodBruno New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Another fan of Raceroom here with all downloadable content so far. Since I purchased CV1 2 weeks ago, I can safely say I cant go back to 3 monitors for the VR immersion and as such i won't play the game again until VR is supported at some level. If you are a technology company you follow the customer base or you are dead.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I too am struggling to go back to R3E now I've got my VR rig. AC and PCars are miles behind R3E but VR support makes such a huge difference to me that, even tho R3E is tons better, AC and PCars are just more fun cos of VR.

First world problems, eh? Bloody awesome time to be a nerd tho :)

I really hope S3 add VR support, even if it's a bit of a hack and requires Steam Desktop to be running to navigate the menus.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. museumsteve

museumsteve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I haven't played anything that's not VR for a couple of months but have this weekend off so plan to spend most of it getting back into R3E but my first attempt this morning and I get a content server error so gonna spend 20 minutes trying to find the issue or it's back to VR :D

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Dude...

I want VR support for R3E too. It's easily the best racing game out there and not being able to play it on my Vive is a disappointment, but do you really think these kind of posts actually help anyone? They're a small team with a big list of stuff to do, and VR support isn't on that list. I know this *because they said so*. They've already engaged and explained why VR isn't in their current priorites. Why would ranting at them change this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  17. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    In my country you can't even buy a Rift or a Vive until the end of the year/early 2017.:D

18. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    @mr_belowski ~ Sorry mate I did not feel I was ranting but anyway some S3 guy made vague comments about VR quite a long time back now and things have changed hugely since then in the world of VR. But nonetheless my somewhat caustic remarks stem from the fact that I do not like the arrogant & rude attitude of totally ignoring constant requests from many of their customers to at least engage in an intelligent conversation about the topic. You are right though it is flogging a dead horse and it does not help but is the truth after all. I do not feel any sympathy at all for the argument they are a small team with a long list of things to do - they charge an extremely high premium for the luxury of driving their race sim and are not shy to put out their hand for more money each time a new car comes along. The current ratio of price to value is poor but adding VR support would make it worthwhile and enable the growing number of VR racers to get some use out of the investment they made.

Rant over and I rarely visit here anymore, only to find nothing has changed which is hugely disappointing but unsurprising.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    If there are no news in this topic, why should S3 start a discussion about it.
    Very soon this would turn into the direction of accusations, broken promisses and into a request programme. Everyone knows anarchy rules in forums. Any sense in it?
    S3 stated, it is not an issue at the moment. Any different statements given?
    Besides there was this bagatelle with dx9.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I must agree with @Blanes .
    With VR, RaceRoom could have quite a big chance to be one of the best racing sims on market.

I am really waiting if R3E will support VR in future or not, as from every side I hear how VR is amazing and provides epic immersion in racing. I think all big racing sims are already supporting HTC or Oculus because it stick their customers in their game and also making their product better and more realistic.

When Oculus will be available in my country, which will be very soon, I must say that I probably wont run RaceRoom anymore, until it will support VR. And probably I am not alone.
    Missing this feature is making small Raceroom community even smaller. Sadly.
    Those sim games are mostly played by people who invested a lot of money into racing hardware... rigs, wheels, tripple screens, etc. So buying VR set is not so big investment for them. If majority of them will leave R3E, it will be quite a big loss.

• Like Like x 2