Problem Gumpert/DTM Setup

Dieses Thema im Forum "Community Support" wurde erstellt von DaSilva, 24. Juli 2016.

1. DaSilva

DaSilva New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,the Gumpert Apollo like the older `13 `14 season 4,0 V8 DTM Cars
    have way too soft Springs,
    Rideheight for the DTM cars is also too high...DTM`s have 2.5 to 5,5 cm height in reality.
    The Car`s are swimming,have input delay and increasing recoil impulses
    like family salooncars/roadcars when driven in a sportive way.
    thanks for reading
    regards

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 28. Juli 2016
  2. DaSilva

DaSilva New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for a second Post,but the GT2 Corvette is almost undrivable due to the same problem:
    Too soft/long springs and too much rideheight.
    thanks for reading and keep up...

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    The GTRX and GT2 classes will probably receive an overhaul at some point in the future, which would change the cars setups and physics considerably. Have my doubts about the older DTM seasons tho, they might stay as they are as there's always the next season waiting to be introduced.

Cheers

Christian

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaSilva

DaSilva New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    DTM cars are basically the same every season,
    they are constructed like le mans protototypes,just 200-300kg`s more weight
    and therefore have a similar setup,just stronger springs.
    In Raceroom their min. rideheight is like a rallyecar setup.
    Physics regarding cars is ok so far,so you just have to type in different figures
    to extend the variety of setups.
    Unlocked GT3 gearbox overalll ratio would be very nice.
    thanks for your patience
    regards

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I've looked into the technical regulations of the DTM 2016 season and I can't find any regulations regarding the ride height, but I don't see any reason why the values in the setup screen should be too high. Bruno Spengler certainly would've told them if the values were too high. The ride height of the Mercedes DTM car in Project Cars apparently also can be chosen between 45 - 70mm, so that's approximately in the same range.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    Where did you get those numbers from? AfaIk that's way too low, ~50 mm is the minimum. Majuh is right, there's no rule about ride height in DTM (although they planned to introduce it back in 2015).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaSilva

DaSilva New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello again,that is basic knowledeg in motorsports.
    The lower the better is the principle.
    The only limit is the risk of damage by kurbs or bumps.
    The lower the Car is the more grip is generated by groundeffect,
    and the shorter the springs can be (less body movement).
    No regulation concerning rideheight means go as low as possible.
    The numbers are from a Toyota GT ONE which is similar to a DTM
    just 200 kg`s less and a turbo engine.

All the best

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    Any quotable sources for those numbers?
    So in your opinion this
    [​IMG]
    is similar to this?
    [​IMG]
    Not exactly, because downforce also has a negative side-effect, namely drag. If you go too low, the additional downforce will become so strong that it creates too much drag and slows the car down, especially on straights.
    Plus the downforce increases the faster the car goes and, as the name implies, forces the car down. So engineers also have to account for that fact. Even todays F1 cars don't go lower than 30 mm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaSilva

DaSilva New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here are some proposals for a wider range of setups regarding DTM Cars.
    front rideheight 30-60 mm
    rear rideheight 40-80 mm
    front springs 100-260
    rear springs 100-260

Grip generated by groundeffect has less drag than grip generated by wings,
    because it lowers the car.
    Grip is more important than top speed in racing,except for le mans.
    Formula cars can do 20 to 30 mm in racing depending on the track surface.

Your screenshots are nice but by similar i meant constructionwise,not the looks.
    Bodywork/look is just a resemblance to the roadcar it represents.
    Both probably have a steelframe and a carbonfibre Bodywork.
    I forgot to mention that the GT ONE has a midengine.(my fault)

My intention was to make the 2013/2014 DTM Cars more enjoyable to drive,
    they are a worse than the GT3 who in reality have a higher weight and a higher centre of mass due to steel/alloy Bodywork which makes em more indirect in cornering/steering.
    At this point the GT3 have a better steering impulse/reaction and balance than the DTM.
    Grip level of the DTM is higher than the GT3 cars which is ok.

BTW i recommend a Wheel,because by driving with a rumblepad
    you have a different engine and the problems i mentioned don`t affect you.

Thank you
    See you on the track online
    regards

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    Well, they both have four wheels and an engine, of course they are similar to a point. ;)
    But the whole layout is completely different, built for very different purposes. As you pointed out yourself the DTM cars are not built around high top speeds whereas LMP cars like the Toyota are. And when we're talking about aerodynamics, downforce, grip and drag the bodywork and groundplate design of a car have a major influence.

Again, do you have any official data/sources for those numbers you mention? If so, please do share them cause I'm sure everybody would be happy to learn more, I for one would be very grateful. But as it is right now there's very little actual numbers in public circulation, the teams make a big deal out of those and rarely publish anything.
    But I know that Sector3 work very closely with their officially licensed partners DTM, Mercedes, Audi and BMW and use real life data submitted by those partners. So unless there's actual sources suggesting otherwise personally I will stick to their data being correct as it comes directly from the manufacturers.

What you're describing in regards to how the DTM 2013 cars feel is probably much more down to the general physics and tyre models used for those. The GTR3 cars physics have been updated not too long ago and have been improved quite a lot. The DTM 2013 cars have not received such updates and as I mentioned before, I doubt that they will.
    But the newer versions have updated physics, so I'd recommend test-driving the 2015 DTM cars or the 2016 AMG Merc, those should feel noticeably different.

• Like Like x 1
  11. frodesa

frodesa New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If they dont update the older DTM 13/14 cars thats too bad. I only use the DTM 15 cars now because they have the new physics. The same goes for WTCC. I only drive the cars that have updated physics. The older physics doesnt feel good anymore.

12. Pedro Ferreira

Pedro Ferreira New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats too bad. I bought the 2013 DTM because is cheaper i thought was handicapped, only in the version of the car, not physics!!

13. DaSilva

DaSilva New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK i`ll try a 2015 season car.
    Have a good night
    regards

• Like Like x 1
  14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    I think you'll enjoy those much more. As to possible updates: I don't have any detailed info about what's going to be updated and what won't. It's just my personal opinion (as is everything else I say) and can be completely wrong. But seeing how things went with DTM 2013/14/15 and now 16, my expectation would be that the devs rather concentrate on updating other classes or creating new stuff rather than updating DTM 2013. Of course I wouldn't object them being updated. ;)

In addition, in case it sounded otherwise: I generally agree that a greater range for settings like spring or damper stiffness would be great, I'd love to have greater freedom regarding those too. But, at least in some cases, those have been limited in order to create a realistic racing experience. Thinking in particular about the gear ratios of the GTR3 cars, those are locked in most real life GT3 series, so the decision was made to lock them in RR too.

Cheers