Problem GTX 1070 Gi Gaming

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Wagner Joao, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Wagner Joao

Wagner Joao New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good afternoon, I wonder if someone is having some sort of problem with the GTX series 1000, I am unable to understand why my GTX 970 had a better performance than my new video card GTX 1070 in Race Room . You have some configuration in the game or in the nVidia control panel that I need to know ?
    Because I'm using the same settings used in the GTX 970 and I'm not having won any FPS with GTX 1070 .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Hi, when I replaced my 970 with a 1070 I had exactly the same experience at first, but in my case it was my CPU bottlenecking the GPU. I had an AMD FX-6300 at the time, and even overclocked to 4.7Ghz it just wasn't fast or powerful enough to use the GTX 1070 to it's full potential... Now that I've switched to an i5 6600K, I'm getting up to 50% higher fps at the same video settings, but with over twice as much cars on track as before. So, coupled to a powerful CPU the 1070 should definitely outperform the 970 by a large margin.

Maybe you're experiencing a similar bottleneck ? What's your CPU ?

3. Wagner Joao

Wagner Joao New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your attention Sascha Reynder but do not believe it is CPU bottleneck , because I have a I7 4790. If possible and is not too much to ask , could you pass me the video settings you use ?

4. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I'm at work now but if I find the time, I'll post my in-game and Nvidia settings here tonight.

In the mean time you could try deleting the graphics_options.xml and ShaderCache.bin files from your Documents\MyGames\Simbin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\Userdata folder to see if that makes a difference in performance. You'll have to re-do your video settings and the game will rebuild it's shader cache.
    Maybe also verify the integrity of the game cache in Steam to see if there aren't any corrupt or missing files.

In any case, your CPU should not be the problem.

5. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I have a i7 4790K CPU and GTX 1070 too, and the problem is definitely a CPU bottleneck. You can use the MSI Afterburner to check this out. Raceroom is a DX9 game and has a higher CPU load than newer DX11 games. E.g. I can't get a constant framerate of 60 FPS at 1920x1080 on the Norschleife with more than 27 GT3 cars on the track. I have all ingame video settings at maximum, only "Motion blur" is set to "fast" and "Motion blur quality" is set to high.

Attached Files:

6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, something is amiss here too. There is no possible way that the 4790k (even at stock speeds) is the bottle neck. That is quite a high end gpu, and you really shouldnt be having any problems.

Perhaps check your AA settings or reflection settings and lower them if they give you a decent boost. Hmm, perhaps lower the amount of visible cars too?

For reference, I have a 4670k at stock speed, and a lowly gtx 660 (where a gtx 1070 is roughly 400% as powerful as) and get ~90-100 fps at Nords with ~40 AI. Only when I increase that number do I start to see my fps drop a small amount, and usually only at the race start. Im running near max settings too. The only settings that arent are AA (at 2x), car reflections at low, and shader quality at medium. No motion blur though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wagner Joao

Wagner Joao New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sent an email to Sector3 and they've answered me , I spent my settings and I'm waiting for the second answer , so has the response of Sector3 put here to help anyone with the same problem . I appreciate the attention Sascha Reynders , Frank25 and nate .

8. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    My settings :

20160820100920_1.jpg

20160820100930_1.jpg

20160820100949_1.jpg

20160820100955_1.jpg

NVInspector R3E.jpg

I also took 2 quick screenshots of the race start from the back of a 56 car field at Spa as an illustration of the fps I'm getting with these settings (at some parts of the track it can get up to 120 - 140), fps is in the top left corner :

RRRE 2016-08-20 10-21-20-31.jpg

RRRE 2016-08-20 10-21-40-54.jpg

EDIT: I noticed I uploaded an old Nvidia Inspector screenshot, my bad...all my settings are still like that, except AA is now set to "application controlled" instead of "override application settings". I don't notice any difference between the two settings, but I prefer to let R3E handle AA in-game now, and just add 8xSSAA transparency anti-aliasing in NVinspector.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  9. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Nate here, under normal circumstances there's no way a 4790K would be bottlenecking a GTX 1070, so there's definitely something not right there...

I just ran a race at Nordschleife VLN against 55 GT3 cars and my fps never dropped below 75 and got as high as 120 in certain places. Most of the time fps were fluctuating between 85 and 100. CPU load was between 50 and 75% the whole time and GPU load was at a constant 99-100%. Max CPU temp was 55°C, max GPU temp 62°C.

In Nvidia Control Panel, try setting power management mode in your R3E profile to "prefer maximum performance" instead of "adaptive" to see if that makes any difference, and make sure Windows power plan is set to the highest performance mode while gaming.

10. Frank25

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Just do a racestart at the Nordschleife 24h Layout with 30 GT3 cars from the last position. It's my benchmark track as the 24h Layout is the most demanding track in Raceroom. I always get a framerate 53-58 FPS until I pass the first corner. I can use the resolutions 1920x1080 (Full HD), 2880x1620 (Nvidia DSR 2,25) or 3840x2160 (Nvidia DSR 4,0). It makes no difference as the GPU load only gets near 100 %, when I use 3840x2160 (Nvidia DSR 4,0). My Intel i7 4790K CPU is overclocked and works stable with 4.4 GHz at all 4 cores. Raceroom has definitely a CPU bottleneck, when you use bigger grids with more than 24 cars. Of course most tracks are not so demanding and I can use larger grids with constant 60 FPS. It helps a little bit (2-3 FPS more) to reduce the reflection quality to low, as this seems to effect the CPU load. But it has absolutely no effect on the CPU load, when I set shader quality to MEDIUM or turn OFF motion blur.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  11. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I gave it a go and got 67-72 fps at race start and through T1, after that it was 75-110 fps throughout the rest of the track. So yes: the 24h layout is definitely more demanding on graphics, but I can maintain 60+ fps.

I repeated the exercise with 56 cars and there my system started to struggle a bit: got 62 fps at race start, with a drop to 57-58 fps through T1 (maybe due to a massive AI pile-up), but after that fps was always between 64 and 95 fps.
    Considering the fact that I'm applying a 2.25 DSR factor + 8xMSAA + 8xSSAA with most video settings maxxed out, I'm honestly not seeing the bottleneck here.

12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Hi All
    Hope i am not hijacking your thread but today i ordered a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming gfx card to replace my sli 780 setup, sick of lack of sli compatibility being available and having to run one card most of the time. I hope that this card is a good step up, seems to be from my research . I would never have thought that i would get excited about computer components but alas i am, lol.
    Cheers All

13. Frank25

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    @ Sacha Rynders
    I've been looking at some benchmark lists and my CPU Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz should be about 25% faster than your Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.4Ghz. We both have a GTX 1070 and I'm also applying a 2.25 DSR factor + 8xMSAA with most video settings maxxed out (only reflection quality is set to low). The only difference I can see is the RAM. You use 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2933Mhz and I use 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. Can this really cause the difference in our framerates?

14. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Frank25 , I don't think the difference in RAM would be of much influence on frame rates, and your 4790K should perform as well or better than my 6600K for gaming (and outperform it in multi-core, hyperthreaded applications). That's why I'm finding it strange that you're not seeing the same performance as I am on my system... I also find it strange that you only start to see 100% GPU load at 3840x2160 resolution while I get that from 2560x1440 and higher, so something seems to be holding back your 1070, but what ? I have no idea actually...
    I do run my 1070 overclocked though: +102mhz core clock and +1192mhz memory clock. In the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming utility this shows as 1697/1887mhz (base/boost) core clock and 9200mhz memory clock, in-game it boosts up to 2050-2075mhz core clock at times. But I don't think that would explain our different frame rates either, at least not to the extent that we're seeing now. Are you running yours at stock speeds or overclocked ?

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I've got a question for ya here. I just recently got a 1070 in the past few days and I cant seem to get Nvidia Inspector to work. Are you actually using Inspector or was that a screenshot of previous settings from a previous gpu? I have Inspector installed and updated to v1.9.7.6. There simply isnt the little gear icon to open up the actual Inspector to change settings.

Edit: doing a search online is showing me that Inspector needs to be updated again if you are using the latest Nvidia drivers (372.xx) I guess Inspector will be updated in the coming days/weeks to allow functionality again. :p

Beside that though, so far I havent been very impressed with it moving up from 2 gtx 660's (even though I was only able to use 1 in R3E since sli isnt supported.) Im also not getting huge fps like I was almost expecting. A few other games have doubled their framerates with the switch, but even going from a single 660 in R3E to a 1070, im only getting about 50 fps more using the same settings for 1080p.

I wonder if it is due to the Nvidia drivers being... bad :p New cards that come out often have problems with drivers since they arent very mature yet... but I dont really know here. Havent done a lot of testing with big grids on demanding tracks yet.. Rather, my first impressions havent been... well, all that impressive. :p

Cheers

16. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Hi Nate, this might be a silly question, but you did notice that the latest version of Nvidia Inspector is now split in two parts, right ? On the one hand, you have Nvidia Inspector, where you have your basic GPU info and where you can do overclocking and set fan speed and stuff. On the other hand you now also have Nvidia Profile Inspector, where all game profiles reside and where you can tweak your graphics settings (AA, etc..). That screenshot I posted is actually from Profile Inspector, but from my current system so it's definitely working with the 1070. I'm using the latest 372.54 driver for W10 Build 1511 by the way.

50 more fps, that ain't too shabby is it now ;) I guess I'm seeing about 30-50fps more (on average) compared to the 970, but like I said before: that's probably because the 970 was on an AMD FX-6300 platform. The 6600K I have now can run circles around the FX for days (and so can your 4670K, I imagine), maybe if I'd put the 970 back in now, the fps difference with the 1070 would be smaller ? I dunno.
    Maybe your games that doubled in framerate are less CPU heavy than R3E, hence the bigger jump in fps ? But I would assume that the 1070's 8Gb memory would allow you to run R3E with much more eye candy at higher fps than the 660('s). Maybe try upping your video and AA settings, and see how that influences your fps ?

I sometimes wonder if it isn't more of a DX9 vs DX11/12 thing, and if these newer cards/drivers just perform better with DX11/DX12 games. I could be totally wrong though...

Cheers !

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Oh wow, I had no idea Nvidia Inspector was split up into 2 separate programs now. Just downloaded the 'profile inspector' and it works like a charm again. Thanks a lot for this information! Would have been scratching my head for a while trying to figure it out :p

Guess it had really been a long time since I downloaded any updates for Nvidia Inspector and havent followed development since the new gpus came out a few months back. So this was unknown to me :oops:

Yeah, ~50 fps is rather adequate... although I was looking at benchmarks before buying the 1070, and at least according to many benchmarks published by various reputable places like Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, among youtube channels and overclocking websites... they all made it seem like this new gpu had about 4x the brute strength of my old 660. So i was expecting a bit more than just 50 fps increase. That's why I hypothesized that perhaps the drivers for these new gpus arent very good right now. Of course, that is just a wild guess...

My own benchmarks in programs like Unigine heaven and valley show just under 2x the performance of my previous 660's in sli. So, not too bad for a single gpu. Although, I guess my main take away from this is that even a few year old gpus when combined in sli can be power houses. And also that you cant rely purely on the specs of new gpus to translate into straight performance gains over an old gpu.

I have tried a number of games to see what they get and I cant make much sense of it yet lol. I booted up Assetto Corsa (DX11) to see if there was an improvement and I got about double my previous fps with the same settings... so quite good. In Automobilista (DX9) I was getting slightly under double fps. So also pretty good.

However, in GTA V, I wasnt getting a huge increase. And in Watch Dogs (Yeah, I know :D ) I was still dipping down into the 30 fps range while driving through the city using the same settings I previously did :p

Haha, this sure is quite a hobby though, trying to make sense of it all and eek out that extra little bit of performance.

Thanks for all the information though, really appreciate the info and help ;)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  18. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I have just got my 1070 extreme gaming yesterday and installed it last night, first time I have actually installed a computer component and I must say I am impressed by the grunt it has. Was only able to have a short go at F1 2016 but the frame rates were more than double what I was getting from my 780!

• Like Like x 1