Why no way to create an instant multiplayer lobby?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lifeofbrian, Sep 25, 2016.

1. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Didn't there used to be a way to just create a quick race lobby? This dedi server set up is a pain and full of problems. This must be costing Sector3 clients. If I could just set up an instant lobby or even hire a server, I could get my clan in to the game. But for now we're stuck playing PCARS, because it's very easy to rent a server or just create a lobby. As far as I know there's not even any hosting companies that host servers for Raceroom, why not? This NEEDS to be addressed Sector3.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Where did you rent your pcars server?

3. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Not sure, one of my guys takes care of that, we have 3.

4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Not that I recall.

What problems are you having with it. It is quite straight forward, no? Are you having trouble getting the server to appear in game or something? I know a handful of people that run their own servers and have no issues...

You can... use the dedicated server creation tool.

RaceRoom provides official servers that have a wide variety of content. These are servers that they are actually hosting... And as of just about 1 year ago, they gave every user the option to run a custom dedicated server. You can make one, I can make one, anybody can make one. Most sims do have this feature however. As for companies providing servers specific for R3E, this isnt a Sector3 issue :p Im sure there are plenty of server hosting companies out there that would let you set up an R3E server, although I dont deal with this stuff so Im not actually sure here. Although I doubt a server company would limit its customer base by restricting their servers for certain tasks and not let you host an R3E server.

5. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Why don't you just simply setup a race using justrace.net? A few clicks and you have your instant multiplayer.

7. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's a great tool for stats, and if I could either get the dedi server working (it does sort of) or hire one I'd use it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It's very straight forward yes, that doesn't mean that people won't have problems with it. And anyway, it's only a half measure, I'd have to buy a server and put that on it to have it up 24/7. My point with companies not offering dedi servers for Raceroom is why? They offer servers for other sims that allow you to set up an instant lobby. It's not because we have a dedi server tool, other sims have that and also the ability to create an instant lobby, so why no servers for this game? Maybe they prove to unreliable? I don't know, seems strange. I can get the server working, I just can't race in it.

Here's my problems with the Raceroom dedi servers.

1. I got the "no response from server" error, so I used the work around, I could get in.

2. No one could join my server but me. I forgot to forward the ports, simple.

3. When I run the dedi server and run the game, at the start of every race, my game minimizes to desktop for a few seconds, so I miss the start of the race. It also does this when I'm in the store. I tried running the exe from outside Steam same problem. I made a post but no one has any solutions for this.

4. So I tried running the server from another PC, no luck, tired the loopback trick on that PC now when I try to start the server it asks me for a new name and gives me the "server not registered" error. I have tried deleting AppData\Local\Sector3_Studios_AB as suggested on this forum but no joy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Your issues with Raceroom Dedicated server are not specifics to R3E, these are networking issues (port forwarding, loopback, etc) you'll have for each and every game server you'll host on your own network.

About your issue 4:
    If you're running the dedi on another PC than the one you game on (this is highly recommanded BTW) there's no loopback trick to do on the server PC. It's only for the gaming PC, to allow it to reach the server on your local network.
    If you did on the PC server you may have "brocken" it, by telling him to reach itself instead of reaching the Raceroom servers.
    You only have to make the good port forwarding for the dedicated server, and eventually do the loopback trick on your gaming PC if your router cannot do it.

unreliable ? Not less or more than Asseto Corsa, or AMS similar tools
    With a little bit of knowledge about things like port forwarding, setting up a R3E dedi is pretty straight forward and easy. The web UI is one of the more simple to use (but may lack of features..)

So why compagny that host game server doesn't offer R3E server ? I will think it's more about the popularity of the game and the demand for it.
    Raceroom is not the most played online in the world, by far. Despite all of the quality of the game, you'll find barely hundreds of players connected at the same.. max.
    This is much less than other title like Pcars or asseto... and way less than other gendra of game (Lol, DOTA, COD, BF, etc )

So you're asking why there's no raceroom server to rent? ask them why they don't want to make the offer, they will for sur tell you that there's not enough players on this game for them to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately that appears to be true cause early this year I was looking around a bit for options to rent a commercial game server. PCars is offered widely and to my request of providing one for R3E the answer was that they will sent me a message if they do so - never heared of them again :D
    But the ESR guys are running their races via Amazon Servers and guess @Tim Cannon or/and @MeMotS told me it's running fine ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  11. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Ya, I spoke to them about their Amazon servers, but I am put off from Amazons "free" stuff as they are known to charge large amounts of money without warning, the guy even said he was worried about that, it's just too much risk with Amazon I think.

12. lifeofbrian

lifeofbrian Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Then we are stuck with my original, and really only problem, in that , the game minimizes to desktop at race start when I run the dedi server. It must be something simple?

13. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    We and our publisher get this request a lot (offering servers) but unfortunately we just don't have the staff to maintain and administrate such structure.

There are a lot of server providers out there though and you don't need a game server provider to specifically provide you a server slot.

All we need is a dual core windows 7 or better machine with reasonable amount of RAM. We use Hetzner for our official servers but there might be cheaper options. Other known server providers are OVH and Digital Ocean.

On a side note: Since a server might be an overkill for one user, we can try and talk to one of the game server host providers that can rent an instance rather than an entire server for a lot cheaper. This is what we had suggested but I don't think the publisher got around to do anything so we might try some stuff ourselves. No promises though.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. LaundroMat

LaundroMat Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread and for this shameless plug, but I've encountered the same issue as many of you here and created an automated R3E multiplayer hosting & setup tool.
    It's pretty barebones for now, so any feedback is very welcome. You can start up your own hardware and dedicated R3E server at dollarracing.club

15. KoenigseggRS

KoenigseggRS New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How do I do that?