Customskins in R3E?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andreas Pierer, Apr 5, 2015.

1. GeW

GeW Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    This is not the point!!
    Sector3 is currently heading on online leagues with the coming dedicated server tool. But without custom skins, there will be no big community that uses R3E for online racing leagues.
    On the one side, you need custom liveries for professional teams with own and REAL sponsors (giving money to see their logo on the cars!!); on the other side you also need additional skins to fill up the field with unique and recognizable cars.

E.g. with the WTCC 2014 Pack that will be introduced this year. There will be only 17 (!!!) TC1 cars, which are definately insufficient for a real simracing league. With live streaming, it is inevitable to have more unique cars or liveries!!

Your "Hello Kitty"-argument can easily be debunked!
    Technically it is the easiest thing to implement these custom liveries as an additional layer on top of an existing original car. You have to install this custom skin on your game to see it, otherwise you see just the original car.
    This was, nobody is annoyed by "Hello Kitty's"-Skins.

By the way, this worked well in several years using race07 as basis and there are still many simracing leagues using race07 with custom liveries.

@Sector3 : Do You see the relevance of custom liveries for online simracing leagues (with live streaming)?!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Handbag alert! I was messin. sorry @GeW but somebody has already done it for AC. Brilliant

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @machwebb was only joking. Have you seen the Hello Kitty livery in this year's Blancpain Endurance Series?

• Like Like x 1
  4. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I will be representing a team too, so completely get custom liveries it would be ace. But it will need vetting.

5. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Yep! It's right here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not 100% sure if I'm looking forward to seeing this in RRRE, but if we get it in there I'd most probably use it a few times. Just to annoy the shit out of my competitors... :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GeW

GeW Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ah, sorry @machwebb. Now i got the joke!!!

Sorry for my answer, it is more intented to people saying "I dont want to see these terrible fan-skins, that is why I also do not want to have custom skin support in R3E".
    The more often I hear this argument, the more I am getting angry about it. That is not good and i am sorry about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Its all cool maaaaan, I come from a forum with loads of banter like this so no worries at all ;)

8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Well - such an hello kitty skin would probably give my wife some attraction to my simracing-activities... ^^

But btt - would be nice to hear from Sector3 if a Custom Skin-Feature is something that is on Focus for Online Racing Leagues... I believe that some users are a bit cautios at the moment, because they are not sure if R3E will attract attention in ORL.

9. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I remember there was a discussion about this some time in the past. And I also remember that Jay said something like that this is something S3S is looking into and that there are already concepts "in the air" that are checked for feasibility. What I can't remember is how long ago this was and if it was in this forum or at racedepartment.

This is all a bit vague, but I'm getting old and my memory isn't the best anymore... ;) So please don't nail me down on every detail of this.

The bottom line I'd like to express was that I know S3S is well aware of this issue and is looking into possibilities.

The main problem I always saw is the fact that they charge for liveries and this is surely not going to change at any time in the foreseeable future. Having to pay for liveries is probably not up to S3S (the developers) but up to the publisher. And opening the sim for custom skins will most probably affect the profits gained from selling liveries. So having a custom skin slot you need to buy might be a solution. But pricing is a sensitive spot here. The customer will most probably argue like this:

"Since S3S doesn't even make the skin for that slot it must be very cheap, at least less than a "normal" skin."

S3S would argue:

"Yes, but if custom skin slots are cheap, nobody will buy our skins anymore. In the end every skin can be done by the community, even the ones we already did or plan to do in the future. So the custom skin slot has to be more expensive than a "normal" skin because it's more versatile and takes away profits from our own skins."

And seeing how people are arguing about the pricing of content already in this forum, I doubt there will be a price for a custom skin slot that satisfies everybody on both sides.

This is all very tricky. And I'm really curious about how this story will end. Personally I'd love to have the possibility of custom skins, but I also understand that not everybody likes to see the "artistic work" of every self-appointed "skin-professional". ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    It never used to be like that, it was a nice place where I was king!
    Then you showed up :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Well.. here's my Mustang in iRacing.
    And I'll never change my skin no matter what.

[​IMG]

I mean, it's perfect.
    Plus, whenever you're in the mirror of an opponent, they start putting some pressure on themselves (because, you obviously do not want to get overtake by a MLP car), and they start making mistakes. Free spot! :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. GearGrinder

GearGrinder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    If your skins came as s3 updates, I would be cool with that but having content all over the internet is one of AC's biggest problems IMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Your skin won't make a difference with me, it's what's inside that counts.. Great skin tho, my daughter would love it. Can you do a One Direction one for her. ;)

Nice one.

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. tomolart

tomolart Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    With custom multiplayer servers on the horizon I feel that custom skins should be implemented. Its worked on other Sector3 sims & competitor sims, it should be something that you can only have the skin files if you have them installed, so no toxic or offensive ones are seen. This would be of most use in leagues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Nikdek69

Nikdek69 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    the implementation of the custom skins is ESSENTIAL for online leagues and championships, if you don't want a custom skin, don't use it, but "racing" with other's name car it's too much wannabe ;
    ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ajokay

ajokay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    With the arrival of the dedicated server app, custom skins really are something that has to be included in this sim, it would be foolish not to.

Sure, for every great custom skin out there there are a million that someone has thrown together in MS Paint and looks awful. But leaving the option out entirely, especially for guys and girls who race in and/or operate racing leagues, is crazy. They are essential, it makes the car your own, it allows you to form a team, and I take great pride in driving my favourite racing cars in liveries i've designed myself.

I don't understand the point of view some people have of actively not wanting the option. That's fine, stick to the real-world skins. But for private league racing we love our custom skins. I'd hate to not use the brilliant platform that is R3E for competitive league racing because custom skins are not supported. The method Race 07 uses is perfect, can that not be used again?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Praetorians.Diogo

Praetorians.Diogo Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think if S3S implements custom livery, they are gonna lose money because people won't need to buy any, just download it somewhere....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GeW

GeW Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I do not think this will be an issue. S3 can take care, that racedepartement and the other known simracing websites do not illegally offer skins of official sector3 cars.

You only pay something like 0,75€ for a new official car-skin-pack (normally with a couple of skins). This is nearly nothing and it will be much easier to buy them than to search for them on dubios websites.

Also, to attend multiplayer races with e.g. GT-Masters 2014, you need to have at least these cars; not only the 2013 ones. That is why people will still buy these cars or skin-packs.

(and finally, there is this idea of buying custom-skin-slots for e.g. 5€...; that will work too)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    It's an argument, but i think there are ways to please both sides.
    Just as an example ....... people have to buy a "livery slot", before they can use a custom skin for that specific car.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    Hey, that's my paint I've done this. ^^
    I've watched the first Blancpain Sprint Race and saw this nice sweet car, so I made it for AC. ;)

• Like Like x 2