News Update on server problems

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Both. We've used our own servers first. After noone of us was able to provide a "working system", we've switched to an official RR-Server (DTM 2015, Hockenheim) and had the same issues.

In the past those issues happened occasionally, but they were usually limited to a single user, but since the last patch it is just nearly impossible to have a race without problems. Imho there is a bug somewhere in the netcode, which was already there in the past, but after the patch it's showing full effect. But that is just my opinion without proof. :)

For example, Friday before the patch we had a race at the Salzburgring with the P2s. I was lobbying the game myself at first, but we had to switch to another server, because some of the players were jumping around. After switching to another players "Raceroom Dedicated Server" all worked fine. And now we have those problems always. We did some testing yesterday with five RDS hosted by different ppl and the above mentioned official server. Always the same issues!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I haven't even bothered with MP since the patch 'cos I'm not even getting a ping from more than 50% of the official RR servers... Now it's always been that about 25% of all servers in the list showed no ping for me, but most of the RR servers did except for the US and JPN ones for instance. Strangely enough I'm now getting a ping (in the +300 range) from those but not from those which I assume are based in Europe.
    However, lots of private (league) servers are showing pings so I'm not entirely convinced the problem lies with my internet connection (although it ain't the best in the world).

3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Managed to get a fair few races in over the weekend with varying degrees of success and failure, as a whole, apart from the net curtains being drawn pause in menu's, connection to servers was almost 100% but once in it was hit or miss whether it was driveable. Had lots of blinking and hopping cars, that said also had some great races problem free. Did get disconnected from several servers and got randomly stuck in a loop where at the end of a race it goes straight into another, then another to either crash back to desktop or eventually cop a screen with a quit button. Beginning to think it might be time to delete local content and reinstall entire game just in case something got corrupted in the update.

4. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Hello, @Bozza NZ#72

Thanks for the crash dumps. If you could also send us some Game.log files that were created in those sessions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello @Pfalzdriver ,

We've had a look at the files you've sent in as well. These crashes seem to be connected to the in-game overlay of TeamSpeak 3. If you disable the in-game overlay in TeamSpeak, do the crashes cease?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Hey Hannes,

For sure they would. :)
    But I'm using the TS3-Overlay since ... well ever, and those crashes never occured before the patch. Usually it's working without any problems, and for sure this matter is lowest priority on my side. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PLM_Docteur

PLM_Docteur Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I just decided to come on the forum to help on the possitive or negative return to advance the game.

I really like raceroom and I'm not the one to say bad.

But it should not be taken for ignorant ...... The main defect of RRE has always been the stability of servers.

And having answers from people who make the innocents becomes very annoying.

At the price of hiring dedicated servers we have the right to be very angry with the current situation and yet everyone remains courteous.

Everything worked can be done properly before the update, so do not start telling us that the problem comes from us.

I do not even know if it will be possible to finish our championship broadcast live on December 10 next.

I like raceroom, but on this one you really do not.
    (Sorry for my English)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    +1

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    @Hannes Wallstedt:

I just read some threads, e.g. this one, and the problem with the unstable MP is getting noticed throughout the entire community, and sadly this isnt a new problem.
    In the linked thread there are problems reported with DTM2015 and GTR3. Myself I've reported similar problems with the Silhouettes before the summer holidays, and after reading all this again I remembered we had the exact same problems around one month ago with the Group 5, and luckily a video is available. :)

youtu.be/Bc76IjKTzXE?t=859 (www removed, coz no advertising is indended!)

The starting point of this video is around one minute before the problems occured. At this point half of the race was already done, ping times were completely normal. And out of the blue throughout the entire field the pings went crazy. And exactly this happened yesterday as soon as we entered a lobby. The ping of everyone went from ok (<50ms) to decent (<100ms) to completely crazy (>900ms).

And because this was pre patch, my stomach tells me this problem is sitting somewhere in the netcode, and the patch just made it worse.

I know I'm fishing in the dark here, but maybe this will help sorting this out, so we all can get back having a smile on our face while playing R3E. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  9. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    This is a short clip of a recent online race where one player (1st place qualified car!) didn't appear in the starting grid but came suddenly on the track in front of all the other cars, but was completely destroyed (graphics wise - peformance didn't suffer from the wreckage but complete damage settings were activated on the server).

This is a the same multiplayer bug incident show from a different camera. There, one could easily see that the missing car was hidden under the other cars on the starting grid, but everybody could drive through it without any problems ... and just after half a round it just appeared in front of all the others on the track.

The multiplayer session was hosted with the R3E dedicated tool on our own root server (Windows 2012 R2) powered by Rackservice.org (https://www.rackservice.org/) on a server based in Germany.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I can see how my comment could be interpreted in that way, but that was certainly not my intent. With that said, I'm not lying when saying that both of the crash dumps that Pfalzdriver attached to this thread indicate that TeamSpeak did something that caused the game to crash. I then asked for confirmation as to whether disabling the in-game overlay of TeamSpeak had any effect on the crash in order to gain some confirmation that this was what was actually causing the crash to occur.

If we can get that confirmation, we will have a better idea of what is actually broken and it should be easier to fix.

@Pfalzdriver : Yeah, the multiplayer issues (disappearing cars etc) are not news, but they've been hard issues to track down as we've had a very hard time to actually have them happen to us in an environment where a programmer can debug the problem. We've done work in order to try and fix it (such as adding the IPv6 compatibility) but clearly it hasn't quite done the ticket.
    I'll point the team toward your post here and your video.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Hannes, regarding the TS-Overlay. This was the first time(s) R3E crashed on my side. I dun have problems disabling this overlay if it will occur again. But I had some talks with my pals today, and one of them had a crash yesterday too, without using the TS-Overlay. Another one uses TS -Notifier, and he had no crash at all. So this is all a lill weird right now. :)

Is there any way the community can provide debug information for the server issue? I'm sure a bunch of us would be happy to help you out here. And maybe, just maybe removing the IPv6 compatibility until this topic is solved, would be a good idea. For sure I can tell you I dun use IPv6 at all. :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Marc Copa

Marc Copa Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It is currently not possible to play online, the cars disappear
    Now my joinlags are finally gone, there is now the next problem
    Very disappointing

13. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    In our league race last night we had a driver disappear at the start. He could see everyone else but he was invisible to others. This has also happened occasionally pre-update but with different drivers. Our server is rock solid and we are a long established league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roman TRT

Roman TRT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    in the race, the other cars are ghosts?
    and a disqualification at the start?

15. Nils Herbstrieth

Nils Herbstrieth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Invisible Cars here too.
    On VRTM (DTM2015) there are invisible cars too. They stay invisible or pop up sometimes. We also notice cars flickering, disapearing for short time. The impression is, that this is worse after the patch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Greg Metcalf

Greg Metcalf New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    whatever has been done in the update to try and fix lag and disapearing cars has made the game in mp unplayable. the league i am in will have to be put on hold until this is fixed or for the time being put back to how it was??????

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I can confirm this disappearing issues, like shown above in my video. And if I try to setup the server with a second race, all cars in the second race are invisible to each other but the standings overlay on top of the screen shows their names, time gaps to each other etc.

18. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Been perfect for me since yesterday, only on a couple of hours tonight no real racing but totally issue free, slow menus and a short freeze mouse\movement delay after going back to pits, other than that, lag free, cars appearing as they should and all working fine.

19. Richard Kipp

Richard Kipp New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  20. Edward Gonzales

Edward Gonzales New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ended up with more problems than just connectivity issues after the update, I started it up and ended up losing some minor settings. The game state I had last left the game in Get Real, Track, Time/Laps etc. had all changed and the biggest problem now is this "White Screen" in menu transitions and stuttering at times. Hoping that's only connection issues I hope things get sorted out. I run an older PC and had things dialed in pretty sweet! Thanks for addressing this problem and thanks for all the hard work!