News Update on server problems

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Nov 18, 2016.

1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Would not be surprised if most EULAs contain the same/similar text.

Also given the infrastructure for the free game is the same, everyone had chance to an informed decision when buying content. The problem is not the money, but something you like is broken. Otherwise money would have been spent on something else in first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The negatives are amplified due to black Friday sale + major content additions etc. giving increased public exposure. Should not have slipped the release of the patch so much :p
    Hopefully they play it safer for December ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Guess I'm one of the lucky few, I haven't seen any problems online since the update, everything has been silky smooth. Even the standard of driving in the public servers appears to have risen, had some brilliant races on Friday and Saturday.

It's a shame not everyone is having the same experience as I've been having. I'm completely baffled as to why it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

For reference, my "rig" setup is in my sig and my ISP is Virginmedia (Vivid 200Mb/s).

4. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Guys, should we really discuss EULAs, or how many money we all spend at R3E? Not helpful imho.

But I understand both sides of the plate. We all know R3E is still a beta, and we all know the pricing is AAA. But noone was forced to buy something, everyone did it voluntary. That is one side of the plate.
    On the other side, most of us bought the content while R3E was working as expected, and right now it isnt. So I'm able to understand why the buyers are a lill p*ssed atm. That is the other side of the plate.

Sure, I'm also one of the guys who owns every possible content, in fact I bought this missing one at black Friday, at the time the MP was already messed up. So personally I'd have a hard time complaining about the money I've invested. And even if this thought would come to my mind, personally I just think about another racing sim, which starts with a "P", which was completely funded by the community, which promised a lot and delivered a pile of crap, and which isnt updated anymore, although many, many bugs are still present, especially within the MP. With all DLCs I've payed a lot more, and it is just idling on my harddrive since months. I'm sure I'm not the only one who isnt very happy about this fact.

I'm quite sure the team will figure out the problem with the MP within the next couple of days, and will fix it.

The only thing I'm really wondering a lill about, the latest big update was delayed over and over again. Reason was always, furthermore testing has to be done. And this major bug wasnt present during the testing phase? From the customers point of view this is hard to understand. And FYI I've done beta testing for a game in the past myself. So at least I have a basic understanding here. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Beta or 'gone gold' is rather irrelevant here, even though the game calls itself beta still. The simple fact of the matter is that, like most other sims, this game is a work in progress that will receive constant development and updates. It isnt the sort of game that releases, gets 1 small patch, and then the devs abandon it for another new project. Sector3 is keen to see this game continue to grow and provide further improvements.

Like you say though, it is certainly annoying when things dont work, and the criticism there is justified. No denying or getting around that. However, as a customer, you shouldnt be basing purchasing decisions on... well, nothing. If you arent informed, you have little reason to complain. Especially in software, where things can go wrong easily, and bugs do happen.

Well, the delays werent strictly for more testing. It was for a whole lot of reasons. Fleshing out features, redesigning the store, getting rid of experiences, adding rules to single player, the entire AI improvement and making sure every single car worked as well as it could given little time to test, the new store packs, etc. There were a lot of major things done that really did take a long while to be completed, whether it seems that way or not. Most of those things above simply cannot be coded or created in a week. They take much longer than that, and perhaps the original release date was a mixture of being optimistic, and then the delays were adding in more stuff to an otherwise much smaller patch.

As you can imagine, not everything in the patch is related to online multiplayer racing, so it would make sense that not all of us experienced issues. Beyond that though, I am frankly as puzzled as many when we test something before it releases... report bugs that are fixed, and confirmed as resolved... and then when the update releases, those bugs re-emerge. Like the Audi GTO 4WD shenanigans. It is a mystery how these things seemingly break when being patched.

If I had an answer for why that happens, or the devs had an answer... Im sure they would do everything in their power to prevent it. So, sometimes issues are not even non-reproducible, but completely unexpected.

MP servers crapping out, or the games servers crapping out isnt something that appeared in our testing environment. Same with many of the other issues that have arisen. That said, when they do appear, you can be assured the testers report what they see.

As for fixing the problems that arise... There are literally tons of issues that still need to be resolved. Not just 1 or 2, or 10... but tons. If you consider how long fixing just 1 seemingly simple issue takes, fixing everything is not a small 'over the weekend' project. Yeah, Im upset as everyone else that the game is less than stable at times, but no one is sitting on their hands trying to fix the issues.

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Popo28

Popo28 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    and YES, it's still BETA and will be in the future? :(

7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Can't believe we're back on the Beta blag again, when JF was asked this question many moons ago, his reply was don't think of it as a Beta but more as an ever evolving Sim, so this is how I see it and with regards to the problems in MP, with my time spent in Sim, MP makes up 90% of it so, for me, not good but Matey wants this, yesterday, Nobby wants something else asap, games unplayable without this, shouts Chumey, then the Producers (our beloved RR) wants something with nuts on for the Asian market, NOW and when S3 finally pack it all up and release it, the world stopped spinning! :eek: Relax, take a chill pill, in evolution, mistakes are made, just look at the American electorate! :rolleyes: All I can say is I've been here from the beginning, have invested heavily, don't always agree with the direction but understand this Sim is for all not just little old me. So it sucks but will get sorted, probably a lot quicker if someone had worked the weekend! :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. coolwhip21

coolwhip21 Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Same here. I have been lucky not to undergone some of the horror story's I have seen from others. I had one outage first day of patch release and the houdini act of VRPs, which later returned but none to major.

9. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I have a lot of sympathy for the devs, and am sure they are working flat out to fix the problems, but if you are running club or league races and have members who have maybe spent hours practicing for them only to have their race ruined on the opening seconds it makes for a stressful scenario instead of a fun one.

• Agree Agree x 9
  10. Rui Paiva

Rui Paiva Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Ok, let's wait then, one more month or two with no promise of fixing the problem.
    Some interesting special events created for Christmas have to be cancelled due to the problem.
    Since I only play this in multiplayer, I will have to wait in the lobby of others simulators.
    It's time to give AC a good training now :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    That's one of the side issues, the goodwill evaporates and people move to other games, a percentage may not return.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's just me, but I've had the opportunity to spend a few hours playing R3E multiplayer over the weekend and, while it was definitely not perfect, I certainly didn't experience the scale of problems some here are complaining about. The game certainly isn't dead, although I would like it to be more active of course. I played I'm high populated spa GT3 races and a few low populated other ones too on portimao, Macau, etc.

Maybe my experience was better than some because I tend to stick to official RR servers or the ESR ones, rather than some random server that might be badly configured and running on a Commodore PET? Not saying that's everyone's problem as it obviously isn't, but it only takes one weak link to make a network application unpleasant to use.
    The single player race configure issues obviously need work too...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Rui Paiva

Rui Paiva Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    SylverFyre ....but the same servers we play in are the same servers who hadn't problems before the update....so what's change ?

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    OK, maybe I'm sounding like a broken record but this game is now officially unplayable for me and this is not a rant but more of me informing of my problems.

Me and many others just had some major issues with WTCC15 online where we had some awesome racing for once, only for myself and others to start to lag, massive ping rates and then the game crashed. This has never happened before. Also the positionbar had a seizure and threw around everyone on all positions. I experienced massive stuttering with FPS between 14-59.

Hopefully the devs find a quick fix for this and roll it out in the oncoming days. I don't know if I can be without this game for very long...:(

Til then, I will try to climb the leaderbord on the X-BOW Challenge. Some serious times posted there as usual. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Morning mates,

Another (unpatched) day in paradise. o_O

My pals and myself did some quick testing yesterday evening, after Steam told me RDS was updated (twice) last saturday. We had hopes for some improvement, and actually something changed: Before this patch the ping times went throught the roof before one was disappearing, now the times remain pretty stable ... but still they are gone. So we have a minor change without improvement. ;)

Attached are the server logs of this entire sesson, media shows only a couple of minutes. Maybe it is helpful, maybe not, I dunno.

And Yes, TS-Overlay is active again, but this time it didnt mess with anything. At least I didnt notice anything. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    What ruleset did you use such as dtm2015 or custom ? Interesting how you get blue flag after start i also have had this in online race

17. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Custom ruleset with "Flaggs All". :)

Edith says: Something I forgot. Yesterday I was hunted myself for the first time with error 12002, whenever I've tried to access the server list. No servers were shown after pressing the MP-Button, and after one minute or something like that, error 12002 occured and I had to end R3E. This happened at couple of times, and if not, the game got stuck at the starting screen many times, only a softreset helped. So in the end I had to (re)start R3E at least 8-10 times before I could access my own RDS. Was kinda frustrating ....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sure you're not also one of the lucky bunch who were affected by the Telekom Mirai thing? Cause it seems I was and I got 12007 or 12002 when trying to access the game...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VitaliR

VitaliR Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have other supplier, so no Telekom and have, nevertheless, mistake 12002 hhmmm...

20. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    I'm not even a customer of the Telekom, so No.