Which monitor setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FormelLMS, Apr 18, 2015.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So hello again. After thinking about a driving wheel and a playseat now my last question is about the monitor.
    The monitor is about 100cm away from my eyes.
    Should I buy a 34 inch ultra wide screen or better a 32 inch normal TV?
    Thought about an ultra wide curved but thats far too many money for me.
    What do you think, what's better for the immmersive feeling and to drive r3e?

Your help is very appreciated.

2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    If you are going single screen i would go way larger than 34. My rig once i get the space will have 3 x 42inch.
    Maybe look into a nice Samsung around that size

@Georg Ortner What is the size of your screen ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's single screen.
    The problem is, that there are no monitors over 34 inch. The bigger ones are TV screens and I've heard, that that isn't as good as a real monitor.
    Second problem is, that the largest mount on Race Room Seat RR 3033 has vesa 200x200 and TVs larger than 32 inch have vesa 400 x 400.

Oh well.... Help! :-(

BTW: fantastic video!!! I think, I know, what you mean

4. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0

OK, so you could modify the mounting somehow, it shouldn't be too hard to do, or............are you set on a RR seat? I have one of these arriving on about Tuesday or Wednesday:-

http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/ra...xtreme-v2-racing-simulator-cockpit-chair.html

It has an optional monitor stand that can take large TVs, and they say this about it:-"Please note although the Monitor stand may hold larger and heavier screens, to ensure the safest possible use Pagnian Imports recommends using a screen with maximum weight of 30kg. We have had customers using screens as large as 50" and we have 42" screens on our demo simulators."

Probably easiest to just modify the bracket if you want to go with the RR unit. I'm expecting to have to do some mods on mine when it arrives because I suspect the shifter mounting will be too high for the bulky Fanatec Clubsport SQ shifter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Okay, next thing I have to think about. But it seems that they're not shipping to Germany.

The TVs has reaction times about 20 ms. Monitors have 5 ms. Isn't this a problem on racing games?

6. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Richard Powell

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking into the very same issues atm, since I don't want to go triple screen/monitor, and it seems SOME TVs are ok:-

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/television/tv/tr-top-10-best-tvs-for-gaming-2015-1289344

I'm actually interested in anyone's input on good gaming TVs as well, but for the moment I guess I'll just use my crappy 48" TV or 27" monitor until I can afford to go and buy a quick TV for gaming, since I've just forked out $1,300 Au on my new cockpit/wheel/pedals/shifter. Big boys toys.................

8. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    check this out
    http://www.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

My Pc is hooked up ti my Tv as well.
    I sometime game up there in the living room. Sharp 60 inch 3d. ( not sure of the refresh rate )
    But i have zero issue with Raceroom or whatever i play on there versus my triple screen setup in the computer room.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Thanks for all your answers. Found a Samsung 40 inch with VESA 200.
    So, I think I will buy this now together with the Thrustmaster TX wheel and the Race Room Playseat.

Money is then away, but I've worked hard for this (so I've told my wife...., you know about the WAF? - Wife acceptance factor...)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Richard Powell

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Your sim racing will offend her more than if you had a mistress. These days I live alone and when my dog gets bored with my driving he goes and digs holes in the back garden. I think he's trying to escape to North Korea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Loool.
    My wife never plays with me.... racing games. But as I told her, that I want to buy a wheel and a Race Seat she said: I drive then to and I will beat you all the time than.
    :):):):):cool::eek:

Ok, hoping for a better life now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Why not wait for oculus rift?

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thats probably the next step. But now I want to make the first step to begin with the real driving.

14. Richard Powell

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I don't find the whole idea appealing to be honest. I suspect I'd find it rather claustrophobic wearing one and I'm mostly blind in one eye (old injury) so binoculars are wasted on me too. Maybe I should wear a monocle................now that would look cool at the track.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I'm having a DK2 myself and VR will surely become a big thing for simracing in the future. The immersion is astonishing and mindblowing.
    BUT ..... as long most sims lacking good and intuitive VR support (regarding working ingame menus and HUD) and aren't optimized yet for VR, i think it's better to wait a few months. Also the resolution of the DK2 is still to low, especially when driving fast cars. You also have to make sure, that your PC is able to give high FPS without framedrops.

For now, i'd go for a big TV screen with low response time.

16. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hi. Sorry, for posting again.
    I've had an answer from race room store.
    The display mount is good for up to 32 inch. Not more. Because it's to unstable for bigger screens.

So I've another problem. Of course, after your answers, I really won't drive with a 32 inch display.
    But how can I find now a solution where I can put on my screen now. I don't want to use a table, or a wall mount, because I wanna change the height of the display to make it perfect.

Seems that there must be some profiles, where I can screw on the TV.....

Hoping again for your help!

17. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Monitor stands for placing on the ground in front of your rig are expensive and there are just a few alternatives. There is one from rSeat (299 EUR + 19% tax + 75 EUR shipping) and a cheaper one from Obutto (99 EUR + shipping), these are the only ones I know. Another alternative is building one out of alu profiles, but I doubt that will be cheaper than the Obutto...