Problem 0,5s - 1,0s freeze when someone joins the server

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by J.Kiermeyer, Aug 11, 2017.

1. J.Kiermeyer

J.Kiermeyer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi @all,
    I got everytime someone joins a server (e.g. Nos VLN 10 players) a freeze for about 1 seconds which destroy my laptime... (Causing crashes). Can anyone help me to solve this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. elkingdu50

elkingdu50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    In facts, almost every player have this issue. This is not a problem with your connection but with the game itself. Moreover, this issue got worse after every game update. All you have to do is waiting a fix for this issue from Sector3...

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Will it be fixed before the switch to U4 engine?

Does the U4 engine suffer the same problem?

4. elkingdu50

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    This issue has nothing to do with the game engine.

5. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I think the opposite, but have no proof. :) What is sure is that I never saw S3S communicating about this freezes, and that doesn't feel good for a fix...:confused:

6. elkingdu50

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    A long time ago, S3 fixed one time this issue but after several game updates, the issue has come back.

I pretty sure the game engine is not the problem here. The problem come from how the game has been built (something completly different in comparison of other games)

• Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I think that the biggest problem here is that everytime someone came in the server with a car who isn't already in the server that everyone get's a freeze

8. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how R3E is built, so I randomly imagined that maybe the engine loads the car in the same thread as it runs the simulation, and that S3S can't modify the engine for some reasons (like not owning the source code).
    Cause S3S never communicates on this issue, it's easy to imagine anything. :)

9. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    There used to be a similar problem while playing IL-2 online back in the day.

Whenever you encountered a new aircraft in the air the game would only then decide to load it into memory. This would often cause big stutters. One solution was for the map builder to place a single aircraft of each available type somewhere on the map, out of the way of the fighting, so that when you joined and loaded the map you would also be loading a copy of every aircraft you were going to encounter.

10. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    This is in fact being looked at right now. We wanted to load new cars into game over several frames but it turns out it can't really be done. There are still some avenues for us to investigate so... We'll see where this goes!

• Like Like x 4
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Please hurry :0
    I can have have anything from a 10th of, to 2 seconds of pause when someone joins a server, major inconvenience, minor annoyance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. elkingdu50

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Well, well... It has been a long since the last post but the join lag is still here and with the last game updates, I have the bad feeling it got worse than ever. I really hope S3 will find a solution to this issue because that problem is killing the game experience. If I have to give my point of view, I think the problem is on the netcode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Since S3S reduced it, it's not anymore an issue for me. But I didn't play a lot online since last patch so I don't know if it came back worse.

Just to talk, I imagine that's not related with netcode, but while the game is loading a car it's just not responding. That's why there was an issue being kicked for bad ping when too much people join (no answer from client too often -> ping calculation give higher results -> server kicks client).
    I think it could be related with graphical engine, something like loading the car in the same thread as the game runs.

Just speculations of course... ^^ but I don't see how netcode could be the cause of the freeze, when we're talking about loading a car in the graphical engine, except if the car need to be downloaded, but it's already available on client.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. elkingdu50

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Well, you have very valuable points ^^. However, if that issue reach a point that cause game crashes (believe me, I have experienced it), do you consider this is not an issue anymore ?

Also I saw a moment ago when I open a webpage during a session, when people come to the server and make (involountarily) freeze, I also got the freeze on the webpage. In conclusion, when we got the join lag, the connection goes psycho. This is why I suspect more the netcode than the graphical engine but as you said, this is just speculations ;)

I agree with you, this is not a specific problem to R3E. To prove my point, I experienced it in rF2 but there are very rare and very short compared to R3E.

What I am saying is, all of sim I played and have this annoyance, R3E is the worst with freeze up to 3s-4s.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  15. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you, my game has already crashed in the past for that reason. But since they released a patch reducing this issue it became almost not perceptible to me. I only did a few MP races with Porsche GT3 and don't remember being disturbed by this issue.
    Did you try change to 32 or 64-bit?
    Maybe it freezes every thing, even a software not related with internet? :)

16. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    If I am not mistaken, rF have a "loading option" of new cars/klients entering the server, either direct or when in the pits. Couldn't that be implemented in R3E as an option too, so we don't have the annoyance when driving in Quali or Practice? :cool:

17. Mario R.

Mario R. Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    there is an option in dediated server that reads "Allow Players Join In Qualifying". you an set to "off"

18. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Personaly i think the problem here is that when a type of car enters the lobby wich is not already in the lobby we get this freeze i think.
    At assetto corsa all the type of cars wich allowed to join are loading before you enter a lobby.
    There you have almost none freeze moments

19. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Yes but it should force new cars entering the server to load only when I am in the pits, both in practice and in quali.