Released 07-07-2015 Raceroom has been updated

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Sonat Ozturk, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to announce a further casualty of the recent update. Norisring now plays like crap for me. Played it today for the first time since the update. The symptoms are similar to, but not quite as bad as Monza or Zolder, the two other tracks which have gone to pot since last Tuesday. Again, just like those two circuits, it played like a dream before the update and now displays constant and huge FPS drops, down to the low 50's, which is unplayable for me.

'Fortunately', unlike Zolder and Monza, this is far from being one of my favourite tracks. But I'm still required to race it as part of the DTM 2014 series, and racing the whole season of that Experience is one of the most pleasurable aspects of the game for me.

As stated in a previous post, I'm playing on triple screens. As this seems like a VRAM issue, I wouldn't expect people with single monitors to have this problem, unless they're playing on extremely Hi Res displays or have pretty old GPU's with limited video memory.

I think I have now tested all tracks, since the update, so hopefully there shouldn't be any further surprises
    in store for me, fingers crossed. I know I've been banging on about this for a while now, but it's not only myself who has suffered this issue. Others have reported the same problem, and not just only in this thread, but in other threads here and on other forums.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    So much that is good about RR I'm reluctant to have a moan about anything.....but. Graphic performance at Monza and to a lesser extent Hungaroring have taken a dive for me. Hope this is being worked on.

Single screen with a 2GB GTX770 here.

3. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Agree with you totally about how good this game can me. But we must shout up when changes are introduced, which are fundamentally detrimental to the game. Otherwise they may go un-noticed by Dev.

When I buy a track and it runs well on my system, I expect it to continue running well regardless of future updates. I also don't expect huge performance disparities between tracks. Once I've 'honed' by GXF settings, they should be good for all tracks. I should not have to massively down grade graphical settings on a few circuits, just because they have become totally un-optimised through bad code.

We can't have this kind of performance disparity between tracks. When a new track is released, I want to be confident that it will run well or as well as the previous tracks I already own, especially as tracks cannot usually be previewed before purchase. When a big update is imminent, I want to be sure the content I have won't be affected in a negative way.

I currently own a 780ti, but at some point in the next few months will upgrade to probably a 980ti or equivalent. Doing so will no doubt resolve this issue, as the GTX980ti has double the VRAM as the 780ti. But right in the here and now, this issue still exists for myself, and other people who might not be in a position to throw money at the problem in order to find a solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  4. Manolete

Manolete Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hola The problem is FPS is com 3 monitors . I'm bitter before upgrading the All Circuits and shadows in high and my pc GTX 970 4GB i5 4670k .. hope to settle it .:(:(:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just tried the update with the 360.
    And having the steering lock at 13 on default was much better than 8.

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...well...
    Yes and no. It would be nice to have that security but that just ain't gonna work. You still clinging to your point when it comes to Nordschleife f.e.? It's just not that easy I'd say. Look at Raceroom Hillclimb, much more distance to cover, loads of shadows, it just cannot be compared to the more simpler tracks.

And the addition of content/tracks didn't cause the older ones to perform worse, it was a combination of settings being messed up (you did check your graphic settings, made sure to set them back to full screen enabled, right?) and a major graphics overhaul, namely shadows. This was a huge improvement, moving shadows were an ongoing issue and it finally got resolved but apparently that takes its toll.

Not talking about Shanghai here though, not sure if I'm a liberty to talk about what's been going on there, so I won't, but it will be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    'thing
    No, I'm sorry it's not a huge improvement. If tracks which once played without any issues (Zolder, Monza, Norisring) play absolutely awful after an update, while others like Shanghai and Moscow continue to play fine (for me). Then some this is very wrong indeed.

No matter how improved the shadows may now be, they still look terrible when set to low and that's the current setting I must now use, in order to have even a stiff of a chance of a smooth fps experience on the circuits mentioned above. These tracks now look horrible for me.

This disparity in track performance is absolutely crazy and cannot be justified, especially as it was not there before the update. It's clear that many tracks have now become un-optimised and it's up to Dev to fix this or it may remain the case forever. Will future 'upgrades' bring, further badly optimised 'improvements'? Probably, unless we speak up now.

As I've previously mentioned in other posts, of course I've checked my settings, and set them to how they were pre-update. Post update, I've lowered shadows from high to medium and the three tracks still play like crap.

For me and others here, this last update is definitely not "a huge improvement". .

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I too have found that some tracks have suffered performance issues since the last update eg. Monza, Hungaroring. I have found that by turning "Car Shadows" off these tracks now run smoothly. It's not a solution but it could help some until these issues are sorted out.

Example: Using high shadows with "Car Shadows" on and 15 ai at Monza, I was seeing dips to 52 FPS up to the Ascari chicane whereas with "Car Shadows" off I have a minimum of 82 FPS. Losing car shadows hardly affects the look of the game except in replays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'll agree with Jeneric. Since the last patch, I've had to spend far more time tweaking than racing and that's not a good thing. Tracks that ran really well before now just stutter along (Moscow, Bathurst, Monza, Hungaroring). I think I now have it to an acceptable level but I miss just being able to race and not having to tweak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yup - I hear you. Never quite sure what performance I'm going to get when I load a track these days, and what I will have to tweak in order to achieve good a framerate.

goldtop, thanks for the tip. I'll give your suggestion a go, even though I don't like the idea of car shadows off.

11. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    As long as you keep contact shadows on for as many cars as you can, it's okay.

12. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    OK - Just played Zolder and Monza with car shadows set to off. These were two out of three tracks (the other being Norisring) which became unplayable for me after the recent update (using pre -update settings). I must say the visual impact is not as bad as it might sound, although the cars do look a little flat. I am now getting a pretty constant 60 fps, but this is still with normal shadows set to medium. I will be turning this option on and off on a track by track basis, which is in no way ideal. I do resent having to resort to these settings, as I did not have to before the update. At least it means I can still race some of my favourite tracks with decent overall graphics. Turning cars shadows off, looks much better and gives far greater performance than turning general shadows to off. That just looks ugly.

Still, all this is a little academic now as I'm going to be having a complete PC upgrade in the coming month. I still want a real fix though, as a properly optimised titled ensures plenty of headroom when configuring graphic options, regardless of the hardware being used.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  13. Manolete

Manolete Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    hi .. I hope the performance issue shadows is giving this data update in the next data update is resolved ... I've been waiting two months without sulucion .. if not without tiendolo much have to leave this great simulator that cost me a lot of money. . it is sad to have to have deconetadas shadows when shadows before this update paper up to 60fps without fall, my pc 3 monitors 5760x1080, gtx9704g, i5 4670k, ssd ... solve this ... Comrade ((Jeneric)) to repeated many vedes this problem and no e diconada waiting but I see not solved or not you will Adar resolution, I have conprado the game (DVD DTM offline 2013) and I have conetado whole game butt less glare auto low and 60fps constants and everything looks perfect and not atualizado .. .. and this game online atualizando every so tienpo to improve. It has improved in physical, tracks, but fatal performance in these two S3-dates .. please say whether this will have in mind, I understand that you go to and sometimes better but the performance is better than windmills, flags 2d, public .. thanks for the great work that acen but hope it is resolved .. I'm sorry my English traducciendo google com - THANKS

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    from what i get from your half Spanish half English post you want the game to run better. this is only so possible without a direct x upgrade because r3e is still running on a fairly old version.

Raceroom necesita un DirectX más reciente para funcionar mejor. los desarrolladores han expresado su interés en la actualización.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Manolete is referring to the FPS hit the game took a couple of major updates ago, which resulted in many people reporting lower framerates. Fortunately (for me), I'm now only affected marginally by this, as I've upgraded to a very powerful new PC (see my sig). However, I still think certain tracks are woefully un-optimised, when compared to other tracks in the game. With my new setup and playing on triple screens, I can play most of the circuits on pretty much max settings, including split shadows and general shadows set to high, but Spa and a couple of other tracks, force me to turn down these settings to medium, to ensure my frames rate always stays above 60 fps.

What's so annoying is, this poor performance is only for a tiny portion of the track, but because I never allow my fps to dip below 60 frames, I'm forced to compromise my graphics not just for a whole race, but for the whole session, as I don't like messing around in the options settings in between races. These short dips in framerate just should not be there and need be fixed. They kinda make S3 look unprofessional.

I've been playing a lot of project Cars lately, and say what you like about the gameplay (it's not quite as good as Raceroom ), graphically, if you have a good machine this game can look a whole better than Sector's 3 game, and it runs without the frame rate variants, which are beginning to spoil Raceroom for me.

Manolete, I feel for you man. If you're not in the position to upgrade your hardware, this must be so frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  16. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I have mixed feelings about the pC graphics compared to R3E. Sure, overall its graphics are way better as it utilizes DX11 quite nicely for effects, has nice environmental and lighting variations and it runs really good with single GTX980ti with my surround setup. However, I find graphics a bit 'candy-ish' and R3E offers overall more realistic looking world. But that is of course matter of taste.

I'm quite happy with R3E performance with my 980ti on my triples. I have pretty much all high, except reflections and shadows medium+split on and I can stay above 60 on every track and I don't have to fiddle with settings.

I tested rFactor 2 demo last weekend and I found it really difficult to get run properly with 20+ cars on grid. Also GSCE with its ancient rF 1 engine can have short dips on some tracks at start when multiview is turned on (and multiview is a must for open wheelers or otherwise wheels look like barrels on side monitors).

17. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry Grunt, think you're kinda missing my point.

The fact you're getting 60 fps across the board on your system, tells me you're are making certain graphical sacrifices, which I was not making, when I was experiencing framerate hits. It's relatively easy to play the game at a constant 60 fps on triple screens (to a degree), if the necessary graphical sacrifices are made, but unless we compare our entire video settings, these comparisons have little value.

According to every site that has tested it, I'm running the fastest single GPU currently available, in the form of the Zotec 980TI Amp Extreme. This is faster than any Titan single GPU variant and 25% faster than the standard 980TI reference version. I run these in SLI. I have a modern 6 core intel i7CPU, 16 GB of DDR4 memory and install all my games to a 500 GB Samung Evo SSD. I use this PC for gaming only and I'm very selective with what non gaming software I install, so to keep running background services to the minimum. Basically, the PC is very fast and very well maintained with no bottle necks. It is not the problem here.

The problem is, the short, but obvious dips in fps on a few tracks. You're just probably configured you GXF settings to have enough head room, so that you're generally well above 60 fps anyway, meaning when dips occur, they go unnoticed as they are not substantial enough to reduce your framerate to under 60, but the dips are still there, none the less. This is what I'm now doing and I really feel I should not have to.

Regarding P Cars graphics, I know what you mean. They can seem a little 'off' on some tracks when compared to Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  18. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I don't consider making huge sacrifices on settings. I have shadows on medium and reflections low. I don't also use motion blur, because I just don't like it. I have no clue of its performance hit, because I haven't even tried it ever. AA is at 4x which is again fine by me and I use it typically when I want to be sure to have my FPS high. All other settings are at maximum. My resolution is 6060x1080. I haven't fiddled most of the settings after I moved from 780 to 980ti, just turned shadows up and split on, so I might have some room there.

You can be sure that you can get pretty much every modern AA title to bring your FPS down if not otherwise, then ramping up the AA or DSR. Car simulators have another challenge, as tracks have different viewing distances, different objects and shadows to render depending on where you are. You also have different amounts of cars visible to you. I can see my GPU utilization on the LCD screen of my keyboard all the time and I can see quite big fluctuations on pretty much every car sim I have. Can some tracks (or shadows) be optimized better on R3E without lowering the visual appearance too much? Most likely yes. I still don't think that R3E is particularly bad in that respect especially when it is a WIP. There are some tracks that can definitely be better, that was especially evident on my earlier GTX 780.

By the way, I just realised today that my GTX980ti hasn't been running on PCI-E 3.0 and got it up there by flashing my mobo bios. PCIE3 worked just fine with my earlier GTX780, but 980ti required newer bios for some reason. It most likely doesn't give any boost for R3E, but for GSCE the difference was huge. rFactor based games are known to like PCIE bandwidth for some reason unlike most other games out there.

19. Manolete

Manolete Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Jeneric ... hello ... thanks for your answer if you say you descend com 980ti shadows I will not suvir hardware .. I run before my hardware com ultra high before the update is .. when before this game RaceRoom I was fabulous all up to 60fps constants to shadows but I mean if shadows appear deconetan game from the 20s ... I'll wait for future upgrade .. if it improves, if not change my game simulator. Thank you

20. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Not sure you will have perfect frame rates until SLI and Triple screen support is implemented and it is on its way!
    IMO eye candy, although nice, is a very small price to pay, driving is a feeling, a sensation, that one time you hit every apex, get max drive from every corner taking a 10th off your best time, no better feeling EVER, RRE gives me this sensation daily, no other driving Sim gives me the feeling I am actually there (3x27" screens does help with emersion) banging rims with like minded souls, discovering the nuances, wringing every last 10th out of every track, I regularly race tracks I've always hated in the past just because I've discovered a setup somewhere else that may just work. Once you get the car feeling right a tracks a track, something to be conquered. Throw in a great community and approachable Devs and you're off to another sim because your shadows aren't dark enough?
    Eye candy for girls! authentic driving experience for boy's! (Ahem, I mean men)

• Like Like x 2