Released 11th July 2018 - RaceRoom has been updated

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jul 11, 2018.

1. rom_rs

rom_rs Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I agree. No need anymore to heel and toe on classic cars to avoid locking the rear when downshifting while braking, which is a step backward in the simulation !
    I'll not use those cars until a fix, which will come, I trust sector3 for that !

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Can i ask you for a short video of this ? With input meter please... :)

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Pics or it didn't happen :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because we can't. Tried to reproduce, downshift protection worked as expected.

• Like Like x 2
  5. elkingdu50

elkingdu50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Well, well !

That update is really awesome.

After having a good try with the GT1 category, one word come to my mind : SUBARASHII (wich means magnificient in Japanese ).
    The new physics allow now to apperciate fully the savagery of the category (big thanks to Mr. Hodgkinson and S3 in general for that).

Now I will talk a bit about car sound : The new gear sounds are a nice addition (big up to Mr. Monteil for the job). Make more that 300 new sounds has sure taken some time.
    Staying in the sounds, I will focus now on the car released in this update : the Nissan GTR GT1. Overall, the car engine, as expected, sounds pretty good. Special mention for the external sound, which keep giving me some chills when I write these lines. However, I have some "reservations" about the cockpit sound :
    - First : compared to the other cars of the GT1 category, the cockpit sound seem to be "filtered", I don't know if this is the good word to describe that. When I listen the onboard sound of the Ford GT or the Saleen S7R, it feels brutal. I don't really feel that with the GTR unfortunally.
    - Second : These two videos are necessary to explain my point :

When we listen carefully, it seem the pitch of the engine sound in RaceRoom does not completly match the engine RPM. If we take a good look at 7000 RPM, the pitch in RaceRoom is apparently not as high as it is in the IRL video. To go further, in RaceRoom, the pitch reached at 7500 RPM should be the pitch reached at 7000 RPM. This is what it seems to be.

Let's be honnest : I don't say the engine sound is bad, this is not the purpose of the post but I pretty sure the devs are eager to improve their work on the game. With this post, I just try to give some hints. No more, no less...

BTW, big thanks to S3 devlopers for their job :)

• Like Like x 7
  6. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I'm not the biggest FRJ fan and I haven't bought Motegi yet, but...

I just want to say I think its awesome to have the devs in here giving so much back and forth insight, troubleshooting, and general discussion about the update and their intentions. Great to see the forum working in this way. Keep up the good work guys!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. jf.tournier

jf.tournier New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you're right.

8. spektrograf

spektrograf Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I'd drop a note of thanks the Sector 3 team. Loving the updates and have been really enjoying the dramatic improvements to Formula Junior. I feel it's much more predictable now. It wasn't bad before, i.e. it was learnable, but it's really enjoyable to finesse the balance through courses. Thanks for that!

Thanks also for the tidy Nissan GTR GT1! I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but it's a seriously enjoyable experience to drive. Top notch work on all the audio improvements, too! Keep up the great work! While every sim does some things better than others, I really do enjoy R3E the most. Cheers, guys! Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. eblochperso

eblochperso Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Any news about cluth code fix ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    About the cockpit sound lacking agressivity, it will be hard to improve it for two main reasons:
    1/ the video I've used to make that sound had a very bad audio quality, it was over-compressed and it was quite muffled.
    The current result is the best compromise I could achieve after some long hours spent in order to improve the recording's audio quality. Adding more treble was making the sound unpleasant, more medium or high-medium and it was becoming "whistly" or "wooshy". The margin was very tight here...
    2/ Unfortunately, we won't be able to record the sound of this car as it's not racing anymore (or in very exceptional events), and we sadly couldn't record it back then when it was still racing, being a GT1 World/SRO championship competitor (which required some heavy costs just to be able to access the pits).
    There's also no soundset or recordings for sale on the market for this car.
    So the only option left was to make this sound with what is available, aka videos from internet. Sometimes, quality is good, sometimes it's bad or even very bad, and in this case it was pretty bad, but I always do my best to make something "enjoyable" with it.

About the engine RPM, the reason why it's revving a tad higher in the Paul Ricard video is because the track has some very long straigt lines, which makes it easier to "stretch" the gearbox ratios and to drive near the revlimit.
    The video I used as a reference and to make the sound had some shorter straights, which didn't allow to reach the max RPM as much as in Paul Ricard and that explains the difference.
    That said, I can easily increase the pitch a little to match the Paul Ricard video, I guess it won't hurt anyone so let's do that, and I'll see if I can improve some others things in the same time;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Always a joy to read your posts :)
    I can imagine how tough it is to find really high quality-material as a source for sampling. Especially on youtube many videos are very compressed to save space and optimize streaming-quality.
    In case of the Nissan GT1 even I notice in the two best onboard-videos I can find, that it doesn't sound natural...

12. elkingdu50

elkingdu50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your explanations, Anthony.

Do not worry, the current sound is not that bad and what you did with a bad quality audio is pretty amazing.

Just keep doing your best, as always ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the nice words guys, really appreciated :)

In the meantime, I had a look at the Nissan, I added some extra rpm to match the long straights tracks videos pitch. Not a big change in the numbers but that makes a difference in our ears for sure.
    Also, I improved the very high rpm samples for the cockpit sound, it now feels more dynamic and more consistent with the rest of the rpm range. I'm pretty sure you'll like it ;)

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  14. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I totally missed this discussion about the H-shifter (been busy changing my rig setup...OSW and stuff like that).
    Yesterday I found out that the whole clutch/H-shifter implementation is totally messed up and completely unrealistic atm. I started this topic https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/h-shifter.11120/#post-156037 about it (not knowing that it has been discussed here).

This is what I wrote down:
    """""I wanted to treat myself with some good racing in H-shifter cars today. Knowing I made a few shifting mistakes that were not sanctioned in any way, I noticed that I did not need to use the clutch at all ! :eek:
    I could shift the H-pattern shifter at about any revs, no clutch, no heel/toe necessary, no impact on driving or cornering.
    How can that be ? I never had this before (apart from the crappy implementation in pCars2 that is).
    Auto clutch is off, H-pattern shifter enabled. Did I forget about a needed setting ?"""""

@Peter Koch even asked me if I had damage on... I have... but why ask that, since the issue is known ?

I hope R3E is not planning to keep these settings !?
    It was perfect like it was before and now it is simply crap, sorry to say.

It was the main reason I stopped playing pCars2 (though there were some other reasons too).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...oom-has-been-updated.11025/page-7#post-155131

This link has the developer who altered the code discussing it. Since then I’ve actually found more issues with the clutch and engagement. The touring classics are near impossible now to do a full lap without a gear shift faulting and just never getting in gear. It’s pretty unfortunate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just tried (after reading this thread) the Formula Junior. You are right, the clutch does slip. I did not notice that in the BMW I used yesterday. The Beamer also was not affected in any way by downshifting too early (with or without clutch), while in the FJ, the rear wheels block. So, it is not totally useless and the FJ seems to require some heel & toe, whereas the Beamer does not. It all feels very strange and I really hope for a quick solution. No use for driving H-shifter cars atm...(which is what I like most).

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This is being addressed at the moment. Pretty sure the next patch (or the one after, depending on how testing goes) will see some changes regarding manual clutch.

• Informative Informative x 5
  18. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Talking of next update, it's August, any chance the GT2's will be sprinkled with magic dust this month? Seeing as you brought the subject up old boy, seems a shame to miss an opportunity to ask the bloody obvious question but I really want to drive my beloved Beemer in all its glory. Haven't driven a lot other than the GT1's since release, with so many tracks in RR nowadays and having what seems like 5 new cars to bang about in, is just hours of fun.
    This in my opinion is at least a small way to reward long term investors in the Sim, if the entire old fleet get updated, it will mean a lot of freeish, newish content will become relevant (again), not sounding quite so enticing said like that I know o_O I guess it's been so long since they got some love one presumed they were history, so; I'm in favour of the decision, just would have been a nice gesture to give the new cars free to people who purchased the series on first release, it's not as though it would cost them a lot, I assure you, there wasn't many of us. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    All I can say for certain is that magic dust is being applied as we speak. Bear in mind tho that we're right in the middle of vacation season, so things are progressing a bit slower than normal atm. I'm fairly convinced that there will be a patch this month, but those updates might just take that little longer...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    @jf.tournier
    Can you share why you disliked post #181 by @GooseCreature ?
    Read it a few times and I really don't see a reason for someone who just joined the forum to dislike this.
    I'm just curious... maybe I just don't see the issue you got, since I agree with it.