Released 28/02/2017 RaceRoom has been updated

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Sonat Ozturk, Feb 28, 2017.

1. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Being investigated now.

Can you take a screenshot of your store showing 1.70 EUR? The devs are investigating this internally, and it shows the correct price of 1.27 EUR when they own the other 3 tracks in that pack.

Known issue, thanks.

Will check it out and report. Thanks for the pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'm seeing the same thing Nate. I didn't buy GT Masters 15 (just a few skins) but the Audi and Corvette are showing up for me as a full price car (before the patch it was just 29 VRP for the skins in 15.

3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, from what I have heard from the devs, this is a bit buggy right now, but it's being looked into. Not sure what happened with it :p

4. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    It's back to 1.27€ now! During the weekend it was showing ~84%/1.70€ instead of 92%/1.27€, but it seems solved. Only the non discounted RUF GTR2 and Z4s remain. I'm not in a hurry for them, but the same problem might affect other users or combos.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I must correct, or better: relativize some of my criticism of the latest AI.

For some reason, in the past weeks I almost exlcuisvely drobe the new Audi TT RS VLN, and GT3. I have not used DTM92 and Touring Classics since longer time.

But I recently did that, both DTM92 and Touring Classics, 35 cars, Mid Ohio, 5 laps, adaptive AI. Both races were collision festivals and massacres, both AI-AI and AI-player. I felt like the hero in the movie "300", just that my 299 buddies had left me alone.

That was quite a difference to what i had found in tameness in past days. So i scratched my head and did the obivous, I repeated the two races, once with my faovurite GT3 car, the McLaren MP4, and the Audi TT RS VLN.

And it were two totally different races, milder in violence and thus PEGI 12 again :D, and far less knifefights on the track.

This means, and maybe this should not be a surprise: the cars are being differently handled by the AI, its competrence in setting up a fight in different cars, varies. Therefore, some people complai8ng it is too tough (or now: the fighting still is there with latest aI), could be rtight, while other saying no, it is milder now, also could be right. i depend son what cars are beign compared, and that cars should be mentioned when talking about these things. It could be that not just the player finds certain, for example older cars more difficult to keep under control - the AI maybe suffers from comparable effects. And obviously the modern cars in my ocmparison have more grip and behave more like "trains on rails", than the older cars, which cannot be so eaisly pushed without risking them to lose traction, grip. Especially the Audi is a monster car, and much easier to drive than the older touring cars from two and three decades ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Could it be related to hardware? I'm still carrying on with a 2011 rig, getting 50-80fps on average with stuff on medium.

7. vitormazzi

vitormazzi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It might. I'm used to race against 20 Ai drivers, and the races are great, the aggression is spot on. Last night I tried to race the same combo I was using previously against 40 opponents, and the behaviour was a lot worse.

8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You are talking about a different issue.

The issue Christian was referring to above is a collision issue. Sometimes when you are next to a car and lightly rub against them, you will just completely shoot off them and spin out. This issue has been in the game for years, and is entirely separate from the AI being too aggressive.

If you notice a difference in aggressiveness in the AI, how smart they seem, or their driving behavior between 20 and 40 AI.... you are likely right.

If you use more than 30 AI, they get a little bit dumber. It has to be this way, otherwise if you tried to race a really big grid, your cpu wouldnt be able to handle it. So making the AI a little bit dumber with the more you have, this lessens how many calculations your cpu has to do. There is also another level that I think is... above 60? Where they get 1 step dumber than they are between 30-60.

So, use less than 30 AI if you want them to be smart.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. vitormazzi

vitormazzi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll stay below 30.

Another thing that I had not seen in ages that happened with more AI were a few of those infamous magnetic contacts, where the cars seem to stay glued to each other for a few seconds on side to side contacts. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I was racing gt3s and adac masters at Paul Ricard (this is what i meant to say in the last message, but somehow I failed to mention it completely, I guess the less smart AI was more frustrating than this)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Ahh yeah, that is also a separate issue. Although it may be related to the weird collision bug.

I get this magnetic suction cup issue occasionally, and i dont know why it happens. Some things in the physics engine are just a bit wonky :p

11. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to add something to this.
    I had very enjoyable fights with the new ai in GT3, Audi TT and Formula 3. it looks totally different in DTM 2016 though, where I could understand the criticism right away. Driving at Nürburgring they completely ignored my existance , rammed me, pushed me off the track, hit me under braking. The same ai - DTM 2016 at 110% - at Norisring behaved totally diffferent again. I had nice fights exchanging positions and they seemed aware of where I was. They blocked me, but gave enough space for survival. No comparison to their bahavior at Nürburgring.

12. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I drive mostly at 115% and here are my observations:
    GTR3, Audi TT Cup, Group5 are mostly doing really good, except some corners where they're way too fast or way too slow.
    FR US is allright, by they seem to think that their car is a bit smaller than it is, which results in lots of small contacts
    KTM X-Bow is pure garbage, at least on one track that I tried - Stowe. Got constantly shot in back and push outside of circuit

13. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I've felt this as if the tyres/wheels rubbing makes the player's car wheel change its speed and thus send it into a spin.

14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    hmm so with an Endurance Race the AI become more dumb the more you add? That's a shame as there's little point racing against less than 20 AI in a long race. Having said that I have been running 30+ at Bathurst and just tried with 19 and didn't see much difference - if any, are you sure it's in the code? maybe for certain types of cars perhaps? or only triggers with less powerful CPUs? Be shame if it is true nonetheless.

I'm unfortunately finding more little minor AI issues the more I drive, aside from those already mentioned here & other threads I am seeing a tendency of AI on "Rails" when they go wide round corners, they don't lose any speed and it ruins the racing completely.

Finally I hope the Smoke/Dust comes back with the next patch, obviously something broke in between this and the last one as it was working just fine before. I trust that VR still in Beta though so will gladly wait for its return :)

P.S. Also I still have to close SteamVR or else RaceRoom is still "Running" in Steam.

15. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    No, they don't get 'dumber'. They just get less CPU resources, and thus fewer ticks per cycle.
    So they follow the same rules, they just don't update their position as often.
    Besides, up until 30 AI (might be 32) you're still in the best bracket.

Try lowering the AI level for the KTMs. The AI is absurdly fast in them (for reasons best known to themselves), so a lower level than what you usually run should bring the speeds down to your pace.
    Otherwise, they'll not-so-gently punt you out of their way. :D
    Doesn't exactly help that the KTMs are seriously unstable. Slightest touch tends to send you spinning/flying.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's in the code. It's hard coded. Another reason that giving the player a ton of sliders to adjust for the AI isnt really feasible.

You may not notice a huge difference, and neither do i. The change is quite subtle, but it is still there nonetheless. It's really the only compromise if you want to have big grids that behave half decent.

Last January the 'big grid' update released, allowing 99 other cars on track at Spa and Nords. Well, to make it from computers exploding... they had to be dumbed down quite a lot. Their brains were ripped out as I have heard it eloquently put. Since then, the devs were working on finding a solution so you can have big grids and small grids alike, where the AI behaved like they used to.

This means that you get the best AI at <30 opponents, and then it gets a bit dumber after that. I cant recall exactly, but I think above 60 they are about as dumb as they were last year when that big grids update released. There just isnt any way around it. AI are incredibly resource intensive.

Well, it is 30, and they do get dumber. Unless this is just semantics. They dont have the same intelligence they do when you use <30 AI. To me, that means they are dumber. :p

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  17. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks for the reply, i understand the reasons behind it just it was a shock to read it and imagine at first!

Disagree about the sliders though, the restrictiveness is a major turn off for me unfortunately.

18. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Will keep this on mind, since I vary grid sizes in dozen-intervals: 24, 36, 48 are the only sizes I use to run.

Maybe keep 29+ only for trainign and trackday sessions, and racing at 28 max. Which in the end is okay if you have AI skill level on such a setting equalling your own that you "flow with the river" - that way you are always busy.

19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    The AI overall is still better than it was last year with the big grids update. Even when you use more than 30.

For me, the difference isnt really perceptible, so that shouldnt deter anyone from using it.

20. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Well, problem is, I'm faster than them. Main issue is that hairpin at the end of straight - I overtake them there, and at the exit they send me off the track.