35" ultrawide monitor vs 50"curved tv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubenforos, Apr 28, 2016.

1. rubenforos

rubenforos Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm thinking on update my simrig, what do you think is better and why? One 35"ultrawide monitor or one 50" curved tv? Placement is just behind the wheel. Many thanks for your opinion and explanation.

Full throttle!

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The 50" will give larger fov, because it's physicaly larger than 35"
    But you'll have a much smaller dpi, image quality will not be the same, I'll not recommend a 1080p 50" right behind the wheel.. It will be a pixel mess for your eyes ^_^
    4k at minima for the 50" :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I have a 48" right behind the wheel, and it's borderline pixelated at 1080p, at least with my eyes. It was the largest I could go and still have decent picture quality.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well I started out with the aim to buy such a monitor and looked at the Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD with an IPS panel and resolution of 3440 x 1440. It is a very nice monitor, refresh rate 75hz but overclocks to 100hz. There is a bigger one now the 35 inch, a VA panel but res max is 2560 x 1080. The 34 inch picture is much nicer and higher res is better imho.

However I didn't buy either as after some research I decided I wanted as high resolution as possible and came across the Philips BDM4064UC a 40inch VA panel with max res of 3840 x 2160 and refresh of 60hz bit lower than my 120hz 27" Asus but I got re-adjusted to it and the 4K image in racing sims for me is really nice. Totally agree with le_poilu that at 50" you do not want to be stuck in 1080p due to the pixellation of the dot pitch size.

The added bonus with my Philips is that it is large enough that I can actually lower the resolution in Nvidia control panel to match the same res as the Acer at 3440x1440 because it fits within the larger resolution, I didn't realise this until I had played around with the resolutions because no review I read mentioned it and to me it is a great feature. There is no curve of course but that to me is a bit of a gimmick and after trying it I couldn't really see the point of it unless the monitor had been substantially larger or you set them up in a triple setup. I have tried many different 21:9 resolutions but always end up back in the 16:9 full screen 4k for racing as the extra height gives you such a good picture.

For what it's worth my feeling now is that I could never go back to 1080p or a smaller screen after gaming, mostly sim racing, at 4K because you really get such an immersive feeling with more screen real estate at higher resolution. But anyway try a few of the widescreen curved monitors out if you can as many retailers have them on display. It is bit harder to find a 40inch 4K monitor setup though and in the end I actually purchased mine without ever seeing it, only read reviews, but no regrets whatsoever and very glad I didn't get the smaller and more expensive curved ultrawide. Good Luck ! :)

* There is another monitor possible to consider the BenQ XR3501 a 35inch Ultrawide res of 2560x1080 and 144hz refresh rate which is the feature I like. But imho only worth getting if you buy 3 to take full advantage of having the curve. Still resolution is quite low and I would have difficulty going back but for you it may be a consideration.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. harryturtle

harryturtle Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    55'' @1080p with trackIR, FOV1.0, view distance ~110cm and happy here :D full throttle ;D

Keep in mind for 4k you will need a powerful pc and anyhow frame drops issues are waiting.4k is for gaming not mature now - imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    The definition of what is a powerful PC varies considerably so that is not strictly true. Fact is, I actually am gaming / racing at 4K for about 5 months now. My PC is old, windows 7 system, 8 gb ram, i7-2600K but I do have a 980ti which no doubt makes a difference, however I previously ran sli 970's with similar performance. But I also read many statements on the internet re 4K gaming which I have found to be absolutely wrong regarding frame rates on popular games, many written by people who did not own a 4K monitor but were simply theorising and some by people with 4K monitors who simply had no clue how to optimise their system. Proof is in the pudding as the saying goes.

R3E runs flawlessly totally maxed out graphics settings at 3840x2160 and it looks awesome. A few games I set a custom resolution of 3120 x 1755 so that I may run Ultra settings. Just Cause 3 and Project Cars are both heavy on the GPU so I do that for those and the difference in resolution is barely noticeable.

7. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi

i'm also running a Philips 40 inch at 2560*1440 and can recommend it.

Edit hardware specs:
    • i7 5820K @ 3,3 GHz
    • 16 GB RAM
    • Geforce GTX 980Ti

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    @Pekro - Yeah it is a great monitor, best I have ever owned even though it is only 60hz :cool:

Is there any reason you do not run higher res than that ? Try the custom res of 3120 x 1755 as your system should run it easily at highest settings, I even have FXAA and MSAA x8 turned on with no frame drops.

I just did some runs on 24HR Nordschleiffe with 43 ai and now I have dialled the res back to 3120x1755 so I may just leave it there as I cannot see the difference. At the highest res I was getting a few frame drops to 54 ~ 56. The normal or VLN versions stay 60fps solid just the 24hr version with the extra trackside graphics & added effects.

The big benefit I feel with these big 4K monitors, is the fact you can run a lower custom res that is still miles better than the old 1080p and also try the Ultrawide 21:9 custom resolutions to see if you like them. For racing they are good although I still prefer to use all the screen, however for traditional games or 1st person shooters I am not a fan of the 21:9.

9. harryturtle

harryturtle Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    i7 and 980 are mighty ;D

and mighty enough to max out the old engine of R3E in 4k :) or maybe not with 100 AI ;)

Here runs an i5 4670k, 770 gtx 4gb, 8gb ram @ win7 and thx to Nordschleife and the new audi R18 I was tempted to go bigger. My old 37'' screen was too small in the cockpit-view, bad track feeling @ NOS for my taste.
    And there was the question: 4k or xxxxP?

I am not only a gamer and not only playing R3E. With new incoming gpu´s this year, I told me i will wait with 4k or whatever will come and decided to catch a classic 55'' A++ screen @1080p. NOS feels better now ;D and i will not go smaller again. My little story ;D

Whoever needs a new screen, take your time and decide wise.

Have fun on the track and happy weekend mates!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's because the virtual mirrors become too small.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. rubenforos

rubenforos Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    hi! many thanks for the answers! I see many vids of gameplays of sim racing games, with 21:9 monitors, and looks really nice, but IMO this monitors have 1 little problem, and this problem is, if install the monitor just behind the wheel and turn FOV to real sizes... you only see dashboard and windshield, you don´t look a bit of roof, and this is very bad for inmersion IMHO. Is for this little problem I ask opinion on just behind a big TV or a large monitor as I have commented. since it is only one, that of the maximum possible immersion.

sorry for my english.... is too bad, and the las 2 lines are with google translator and sometimes its a bit....

12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I understand what you mean there ruben

My advice - not always best - is look at some monitors to see what YOU like. After looking I did not like the Ultrawide 21:9 curved monitors and think they are a waste of money. Get the biggest monitor you can afford at the resolution you like best.

Me - I think 4K is the future but not in a small size monitor, you need 40 inch or larger.

13. Blue Angel

Blue Angel Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have 50" uhd 4K, but I think if you hardcore simracer triple should be better

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Old thread, but still... I ditched my triple monitor plans, so:

Does anyone have any experience with a 50" or 55" curved tv? Does the curved shape have any impact on peripheral vision, sensation of speed etc.?

15. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    IMHO no single screen can show what a triple setup does. It can never "surround" you.
    I have tried out several, even curved ones, and no, I would never give up my triples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Got myself a Samsung 55" UHD curved tv, just to check it out. I really like it so far. I previously had a 48" Full-HD flat tv, and this is a huge improvement. I'm still running 1080p, but the physical resolution of the screen makes the picture much smoother and less pixelated when sitting up (way too) close.

As Fanapryde says, it doesn't surround me completely, but the sheer size and slight curve actually makes it pretty surrounding. I have to turn my head to look left or right, and the curved shape makes it look quite natural when you look to the side. My old flat screen didn't look too good on the sides.

And I get a much, much better sensation of speed, running 1.0x FOV (which actually is the "correct" FOV for this screen at my distance). I think that translates to 58 deg. vFOV, which is a lot.

Conclusion so far: A large curved screen directly behind the wheel is probably the best single screen option! 50" or 55". Any larger and the image would be too stretched to the sides and look unnatural. And make sure to mount it lower than the steering wheel, to get your horizon in the right place without too much hassle.

17. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I thought that too Steven until I tried the Philips 40 inch screen. I can create a custom resolution that holds the same resolution screen size of the Acer X34 or Z35 at 21:9 and while it is fun for awhile I go back to the larger real estate of the full 40inch 16:9 ratio as the screen is so much more immersive than those wide curved screens. I do like the Acer X34 and that would definitely be my second choice but I would steer clear of the Z35 as resolution is very low and there is noticeable blur. The Acer X34 with Gsync is very nice but also very expensive.

18. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Ultra wide can only be compared to 16:9 screen if you compare screens that have same diagonal or same height.

It's pretty obvious that a 40" 16:9 will give you more screen than any UW 34/35"... Juste because it's physically bigger. You'll get around to he same width but with more height.

I'm pretty happy with my x34 because it's the bigger screen I could get hook up to my rig. But if you can go bigger there's no reason to not...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Go VR your wife will be happy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    But your eyes won't (yet) :p