Resolved 5.1 Surround...but not?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by switchface, Dec 30, 2015.

1. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I have my sound setup as 5.1 in the game sound settings and I'm using a Logitech Z-5500 setup via optical cable into an Asus Maximus VII Hero Motherboard.

Nearly all sound is coming from the center channel, with only minimal hints of noise elsewhere. I swapped speaker leads to ensure the other speakers are all working - they are.

To give an example of the lack of surround sound, I parked on a straight and disconnected the center channel and listened as the cars roared past me. Nearly silent. I would expect to hear the cars start from the rear speakers and then move to the front channels as they drove past, but nothing.

Thoughts?

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    im not super tops on this but mine work ok , i tweak the individual speaker volumes in windows playback devices

Andi

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    With this kind of setup I suppose you already have, but I'd also suggest to make sure the Windows setup matches the in-game one. Got a cheap logitech 5.1 setup here, works as intended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Good points guys. I would assume they are setup correctly since I can put the Logitech setting to all stereo and all 5 speakers start blasting...err, wait, no that doesn't mean the individual channels are all setup as you say.

I'll check Windows settings tonight, thanks.

5. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I got a 5.1 system some weeks ago and it's the same, what's supposed to be clearly heard from sides or especially the rears is only a whisper (I've done same tests). I think win settings are ok since it works pretty well in the othe sims. It's not a huge issue to me but it's always something I'm missing in my fave simulator.

6. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Turns out that my windows setting was not correct. I was able to check a box for 5.1 and then verify each speaker's level was up. Now it sounds glorious!

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I realise you fixed the issue, but I'm a little curious ;)
    Doesn't the ROG Maximus Hero 7 have a high grade Supreme FX system sound chip on-board, so your 5.1 system should be running via the on-board sound cards associated software (usually found in Control Panel) and all 5.1 adjustments made in there.
    I have a Gigabyte Z77X and run my Logitech X-530 5.1 through the on-board VIA Sound Deck software, I never have to configure the windows sound settings to change my 5.1 affects, just thought it was worth a mention :)

Cheers

8. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    It does have the Supreme FX, but from what I can see in there it was very basic. I didn't see a lot in the way of testing or tweaking my settings, only that the system was (now) registering my 5.1 arrangement.

If you have any Supreme FX tips or such I'm all ears. Either way, thanks for the suggestion.

9. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    @switchface
    Im afraid I know little about Supreme FX so I can't help with any tips :(
    But I did a search and found a video that gives some info that may help, here

Cheers, hope it's helpful.

10. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the video! I watched it, but I don't seem to have the same functionality. I don't recall if it was the video or the comment section but someone mentioned these features don't work if using an optical out. Not sure why that's the case (I'm not the most savvy PC guy), but thats what I'm using.