6 -> 8 cores, will it help VR?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MoonieGT, Sep 6, 2020.

1. MoonieGT

MoonieGT New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It looks like my AMD R5 3600 is the bottleneck for me in VR in R3E. Would a 3700x boost performance in VR? I'm thinking not much right? Does the game pretty much run on only one of the cores or do I have that wrong?

2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    No, you're right. It's an old engine, so it's pretty much single-core.

3. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I also thought to upgrade my 8700k to an 9900k but it doesn't make really sense for RaceRoom :/ but on the other side I have to say that RaceRoom looks in VR much better than ACC. ACC is using the maximum power of the graphics card. In terms of visual quality it doesn't help in my opinion. I like the look of the old RaceRoom much more than of Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally for instance

4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The single thread performance of the third gen Ryzens is pretty similar, so it probably isn't worth it for RR alone. I have a 3700X and it is also the bottleneck in my config.

5. MoonieGT

MoonieGT New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my graphics settings dialed in more and was able to race on our private server with 10 or so people without falling into ASW. I'm a happy camper again.

6. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2600X to a Ryzen 7 3700X just about one month ago and it improved the VR experience for me. However, moving from DX9 to DX11 would boost the VR performance massively.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. lenynnn

lenynnn New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am planning an upgrade from r2600 to r5600. I wonder how much better performance in VR?)
    AMD promised a big performance boost, but I didn't find any real tests for those games that interest me in VR.

8. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Have a look at these posts, not a very scientific test, but we did run some comparisons, it seems zen 3 is a monster for simracing (ACC / RR) :D
    DirectX 9 CPU Benchmark Thread

• Like Like x 1