7.1 Headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heppsan, Jul 17, 2016.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    My mic on my headset have been broken for quite a while, and will try to find myself a new set.
    Thought I would take advantage of R3E:s 7.1 sound, but not really into the technical side of those thing, and not sure what to look for..
    Does anyone have any good suggestions, and not to expensive? (also like to have one with kable, hate when the batteries run out in the middle of a session) :rolleyes::)

2. hotak

hotak New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    i'd suggest good 2.0 headphones over 5.1 or 7.1 ones: most of them can still quite get you the surround illusion via software and they have a MUCH better sound if you go for similar prices

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, what can help is a good external DAC, though, especially if you have a not very good internal sound card that's difficult (or in my case impossible) to replace. I use the Cambridge Audio DACMagic XS and the improvement in sound quality and impression of a more three-dimensional soundstage in R3E incredible:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-xs

Also zero background hiss and obviously makes all music sound better too!

For my headset I use some very light and comfortable over the ear headphones from Teufel, with a stick-on Modmic, both of which I've found give great results. See my signature for links to these products.

4. Mally B

Mally B Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
  5. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys!

6. Ur64n 50ulj4h

Ur64n 50ulj4h Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
  7. Benny7881

Benny7881 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Using Logitech G930 headset since more than 4 years and i am still very happy with it :)

8. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Soundblaster Tactic3D Wrath in my case.
    Cordless, but they can run a good 6 hours on a full charge.
    And it is the most comfortable headset I've ever owned.

9. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Since recently I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450 and like it a lot. It's 7.1, wireless, has a battery life of 15 hours and a special mode to pronounce steps and such if you want to play a shooter like CS or something. In my opinion it's even quite good to hear music with.

One thing I found to be very strange is the fact that the control panel (which is integrated in the Windows sound settings inside the Windows control panel) only works correctly if you start it as an administrator - even if your account is an administrator already. And since you dont have "start as administrator" in the context menu of the control panel items, you need to look for the mmsys.cpl file inside C:\Windows\System32 and start this one as administrator. So it is best to add a link to the desktop to this file and configure it to start as administrator always. This way you only need to do this once. Had this exact issue on Win7 and Win10.

10. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all suggestions!
    After watching some reviews I finally went for the HyperX Cloud 2.
    Really pleased with it, hardly noticing I'm wearing a headset. :)

Then one other thing, I'm starting to get low on USB ports on my laptop for when I will get VR..
    How is it with USB hubs, can I operate both my G27 and XCloud on those, or are they more like extra slots of power sources for fans and stuff?

11. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1