A controversial idea to help populate R3E ranked servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stelcio, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty far from Europe but I still race on these servers with ping 150 and never had a problem (at least it was like that a few months ago; currently I took a break from online).

If people are getting kicked while their ping is 120-130 that's definitely not how it's supposed to work. Probably there are some ping spikes that make the server kick you. Better find what causes these. Is it the people's local problem? Is it R3E's problem? Is it somewhere between the players' ISPs and R3E server host?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. Mark_C

Mark_C New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For reference, I'm in the US and the US servers have less than 20ms usually and Europe is around 180ms. I race on the EU servers all the time because there's hardly anyone racing in Europe after about 6pm pacific time. To make matters worse, there are hardly any players in the US in the evenings between 4pm and 7pm pacific. After 7pm, I don't know because I shut the computer down around then. Racing on the EU servers for me at 180ms Ping hasn't been an issue. Hard to know what my car looks like to others...

The only time I got kicked off due to high ping was back when I used to race with my VPN active. Now I disconnect my VPN before I start R3E.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mike Kara

Mike Kara Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    probably fine because netcode is fantastic
    sometimes it looks like car sliding a bit or directs towards weird angle but that's all

I don't like the bots idea at all because even if they can be good they not gonna be that good to not recognize it in longer runs

EU servers are fine so bots seems useless

US need like streamer from that region or just some "team" that gonna fill the server in prime hours for their timezone on regular basis
    it's weird to me because if I like something then I'm gonna try to bring my team with me so it's should be easy to get some people and then build upon that with snowball effect
    all US players are "one man army" people? because at the moment it looks completely dead even if u can hear voices praising the game

NZ/AUS idk but it looks like they have their community "close" and region is small so not much to do here

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  4. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    pretty much everyone outside of europe has their own regional groups to be apart of, theres multiple reasons for it,
    but if youre apart of one of those regions id suggest seeking out one of these groups to race with. its a good time some are filling servers now which is interesting, NARR and AusNZ are having fun together now i think thats a relationship thatll grow, id like to see another region pop up for us, i can see a future with multi regional championships and a final round ROC style XD that would be exciting

• Like Like x 2
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In addition to my previous comments, most European servers have interesting tracks and cars but still getting kicked due to high PING. Unfortunately, NZ and AU servers have nothing that I like in terms of cars and tracks.

I tried iRacing NEW UI and got hooked on playing online. There is a lot to choose from. Even though Raceroom is my favourite sim, I found myself enjoying iracing online more than any other title. It doesn't matter what server I join in iRacing. All seem solid and have no connections issues. Why can't it be the same in Raceroom?

6. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Because even though Raceroom is many people's favourite sim, they go play iRacing instead.

You said yourself that you don't join your regional servers because they don't offer types of races you would like. You have no reason to complain about connection issues if you join servers on the other side of the world. That's normal; if it wasn't, there wouldn't be regional servers at all, just a bunch in China or somewhere.

The issue with Oceania region is the same like everywhere else to a varying degree - that there's just not enough players there to offer more diverse ranked races.

7. Mike Kara

Mike Kara Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    iRacing servers have big smoothing so it looks aight on the facade
    but then contacts without contacts happens

tbh Raceroom should allow connection up to like 250 ms
    because with this netcode I think it wouldn't be a big issue at all but I can be wrong

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  8. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    i race people with over 300 ping, it works very well and predictable