a crew chief that suggests setup changes possible?

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Azfalt Raser, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Is it incredibly difficult - impossible? - to develop an app that suggests setup changes?

Drive a few laps, a crew chief comes over the radio "you're understeering everywhere, pit now", we should.....
    "How is the turn-in?". You respond "sluggish/good....." and the crew chief suggests any changes.

I realize a persons driving style or setup preference has an impact, but I'm terrible at setups.

and just for fun.... at the end of a practice session with no improvement..... "I can't help you mate - It's your driving" :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I just used "crewchief" as a generic term. Maybe I should have used "race engineer".
    I was specifically referring to suggestions on tuning the vehicle as a separate app.
    It's a game and most people don't read external resources to play it - some do though.
    Personally, I appreciate the resource. I'll have a look.

There is really nothing to GUIDE a person, within the sims/games, toward a better setup. Even if they can string some consistent laps together. I just thought it would make the sims, in general, more enjoyable if there was some type of tool for players wanting something I didn't have to alt-tab for, or memorize through reading "setup for dummies" from another source....oooh, I should google that...

Maybe it's just the nature of sim racing/games in general.

Currently, I use the old GTR guide for setups.
    Gone through the Skip Barber and Honda's video series on youtube.
    Found other sources on the internet (and looking forward to your suggestion).
    And a Race2play setup guide, which contains what I consider bloatware, opens once and then I have to re-install again.

Still there are situations where I am at a total loss.
    For instance, alot of my cars feel like they float. They tend to wiggle at the slightest steering input.
    In real life terms, it feels as if my all my tires are severely under inflated. Turn-in is great though, but it's difficult to keep "steady state steering" through a corner because the car is wiggling in all but warm up speeds.
    It's difficult to place the car, even down a straight.

In real life, in parking lot speeds, I can set my steering angle and the wheel stays that way. In-game, my wheel, springs back to center. I'm starting to think it's a ffb setup issue. My wheel is very springy (T300) even though I have centering spring turned off. I think I'll address this in a wheel setup thread.

Glad to see your contributions to the forums. I'm off to go read that resource you mentioned.