A few subjective points since the November update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    The November update is brilliant. The new GT4 class cars are probably the main attraction and definitely worth trying. The new menu is looking much better than before.

I am very pleased with the following:
    GTR2: The BMW M3 GT2, CHEVROLET CORVETTE C6R GT2, and RUF RT12R are amazing. All three cars feel different and have an enjoyable driving experience. In other words, driving feels right and communicative. I/ we have been waiting for this since ages ago and finally got it :)
    No comments regarding CADILLAC CTS-V.R and P4-5 COMPETIZIONE GT2, not tested from my side yet.

H-Pattern/ Manual shifting: Whatever you did with the Manual shifting option, the connection between the car and the driver is absolutely brilliant. To me, it feels very natural and spot-on. In addition, as much as I would like to say "realistic' I am trying to exclude this word from the sim racing as it seems to have too many definitions. More precisely, it feels natural :)

Not pleased with the following:
    PORSCHE CAYMAN GT4 CS MR: I am not sure whether this car has accurate tire model or physics, therefore, please excuse my ignorance and limited knowledge. I am not requesting any changes either, its just an opinion. The car looks and sounds great. As for the driving experience, it feels a bit too sloppy and very hard to control. Breaking before turning corners is a real challenge and a terrifying experience. The same can be said for the corner exit. This car gives me Zero confidence. Yes, you can blame the driver if you like. There is a huge potential for fun but currently, every time I push it, it takes me to the nearest hospital department of intensive care.

Group 5 CHEVROLET DEKON MONZA: Love this car and the ability to use manual shifting... However, it is bloody sensitive and very unstable. It may need a little touch of improvement.

1995 AMG-MERCEDES C-KLASSE DTM: This car has always been on my list of favorites. I've noticed (after the November update), it may have a downshifting bug when you turn corners and change from 3rd to 2nd gear resulting in a car spin.

Love your work Sector3 and please fix those minor bugs with an 'instant replay' and 'shift up-down'. Still causing cockpit view issues when used.

Best Regards

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Did think the same myself initially, I think what improved things for me (I am no guide mind :cool:) was I approach it in very much the same way I do the Porsche cup car, I try and keep some load on the front biased brakes throughout the corner, from entry to exit, I do the same (rear brake) when I ride one of my bikes, roundabouts etc, gives stability. Very much the same idea with the Cayman, takes a bit of getting used to, defo quicker with it now. Tiz a bit of a weird beast to get used to, as are all rear engined Porsche's, well for me, it just need to be driven a bit differently than the other two, saying that all three have to be driven in totally different ways. Am finding it rather odd that after watching a few reviews of the GT4's about the old interweb and everyone loves/hates a different car. G Muscle thought the Cayman was broken, B Strange said much the same about the Evora but loved the Cayman o_O and poor old J Broadbent found the KTM such a handful o_Oo_Oo_O he rage quit. :D:D
    Will end with the proverbial "practice makes perfect" as in this case it is so true, especially for Mr Broadbent it would appear!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I found that lowering the steering angle in the car's settings helps me with twitchy cars.

This one is a hard one to learn, I guess. When going to brakes, you might want to still apply a little bit of throttle to keep the car more stable during braking. That worked for me, and after some laps of practice I can keep it pretty consistent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Driving the Cayman reminds me of driving the Porsche RSR in GTR2. Initially very challenging but once you get the hang of it and adapt your driving style to suit it very satisfying on the limit. You just need to learn to shift the weight of the car precisely and keep your pedal inputs progressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Do you think that Cayman should stay untouched as is or a little handling improvement would be better?

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If I remember right there was something wrong found on the cayman that makes it more difficult to drive. I guess it was about the upshift. That might be corrected already with the new Update today.

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully...

8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have we ever disappointed you? ;)

@Alex Hodgkinson fixed that issue by making the gearbox behave like a PDK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Never ever. :) :)
    Except the not really functioning mobile page for leaderboards and competitions and the fact that some things are not that good readable in VR, I'm really satisfied and can't get my hands off of R3E.

But if you can poke those two things two the programmers...^^

*Hopefully*

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I also made a little tweak to the base setups of the Caymans & other GT4 cars so they're a bit easier to get on with straight out of the box. Give them a go once the update is deployed :cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I have never driven a car like it in real life so that is a question for those luckier than me with some actual experience! All I can say is that I enjoy driving it as it is now and find its tricky handling immersive.

12. Leigh

Leigh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Did you really just make setup changes to make these little beasts drive better, Alex? :eek: Or did you just say that because you knew we had it in us to master them the whole time? :p

Seriously though, I just couldn't get to grips with the Caymans at all initially, but after this update I am able to chuck them around Bathurst like a proper maniac - and in multiclass no less, yielding all over the place! In keeping with the subjective tone of the thread, these cars now feel a lot more intuitive to me. It's still easy to overdrive them but they can be wrestled back more easily, I find. Take this all with a grain of salt of course: I just test drove the new (old) Porsche 934, crashed it twice within two minutes and decided it was crap - or in other words, it's great, requires skills to drive it and I don't have any. :D

Love your work! Keep it up!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It's not the first time that I've heard people complain about the Cayman's handling, so I ignored it in favor of the Lotus and Xbow initially. But when I finally got around to trying it last week, I thought it was great! I had no problems at all with the handling characteristics and I'm not exactly the most talented driver (a huge under-statement). Wonder what I'm doing differently to others?

p.s. the Cayman sounds magnificent by the way, a hugely addictive noise that thing makes...

• Agree Agree x 1