Problem Accessing the dedicated server front end from another computer

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The House Hack, Aug 12, 2016.

1. The House Hack

The House Hack New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have everything up and running, except that I can not access the front end from another computer. It is not firewall, it is a not port forwarding issue. I have quoted the relevant part of the server setup tutorial https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/multiplayer-dedicated-how-to.687/ below. It is not clear where to put the access file.

Thanks.

- By default, access to the front end is local only, meaning you can’t access it by typing the server IP and port 8080 from another machine. In order to enable external access, admin needs to create an access file and add username and password in it.

- Admin can create an access file in the folder where the dedicated is installed. In this file, add username and password to bind it to the public IP which makes frontend accessible externally. In the access file add the username and password as shown below.

Code:
    user1:password
    user2:password
    The file name needs to be “access” with no extension. Please make sure you don’t create a txt file by mistake.

2. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    It's where the exe is. Usually that's your Steam e.g. ..steamapps\common\RaceRoom Dedicated Server

3. The House Hack

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's where I put it. Natstat shows a connection on the port. The browser gets a 400 response, which is why I don't believe it is a firewall or NAT issue (also I'm on the local LAN). I might have a play with file permissions and see if that's the issue.

4. Sonat Ozturk

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Oh.

You are probably right. 400 means bad request which could mean a number of things but usually on the client side, it might be invalid origin.

What exactly do you type to access the frontend? http://your-public-ip:8088 ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. The House Hack

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually no. I use port 8088. That is how the setup installed it on the three different computers I have tried this on. I use localhost with port 8088 as per the attached screenshot. The port is open and responds. I get the same response locally and from outside. I can only access it from the server.

I did think it was strange that the documentation says port 8080, yet it clearly uses 8088.

I'll get around to looking at permissions when I am a little less inebriated.

Attached Files:

• rrs.JPG
      rrs.JPG
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Sonat Ozturk

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Ah sorry it's my bad. It's 8088 indeed. I'll fix the typos so it doesn't confuse people.

7. The House Hack

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Sonat. It is working fine now. I have no idea what was wrong. I just went through everything again and it now works.

8. katemaya445

katemaya445 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think, you have entered wrong password to the computer.
    howtocode.pk

9. remco

remco New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quick question how do i make the access folder, If i cant with a txt file? Becuase at the moment my bro can’t join me.